.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Yeah, I never realized what I had until just an hour ago... when pnwgator taught me that I should be out there training my kids to be riflemen... mind blown! 🤣
There is a difference in teaching them to be a a rifleman vs a trigger presser.

Just sayin.

That would be pointless, none will be deaderer than any of the others
I will politely disagree. I think it would sober up some of the naysayers. My data points are substantially fewer than many folks here, but I can't tell the difference in a deer heart hit by a 115 grain 257 Partition and one hit by a 60 grain 223 Partition. Both are likely to turn the heart to mush and pass all the way through on a broadside shot on a 120 pound doe.

I will politely disagree. I think it would sober up some of the naysayers. My data points are substantially fewer than many folks here, but I can't tell the difference in a deer heart hit by a 115 grain 257 Partition and one hit by a 60 grain 223 Partition. Both are likely to turn the heart to mush and pass all the way through on a broadside shot on a 120 pound doe.

Also there are plenty of ballistic gel pictures out there that show the wound channels. Not a huge difference in the 308 168 gr TMK vs the 223 77 gr TMK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be interesting to see wouldn't it. Side by side gel tests of 69tmk, 77tmk, 130tmk, 168tmk, 195tmk. Maybe a test of each at various impact velocities, scale up from 1500fps to 3000fps or something like that.

There’s a guy on YouTube I found awhile back that does this kind of testing. Shoots the same bullets at a few different velocities into gel. Pretty interesting. I’ll see if I can find the channel.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Somebody around Page 140 said "No cheat sheet" but I say "Yes cheat sheet"

Page 1 thru 10: Lot of arguing, couple of pictures. Some urban legend type of stuff, I can see why somebody would abandon thread because it looks like it's going to be another 160 pages of memes and shitposts

Page 10 thru 40 though, it gets interesting with lots of pictures of dead things
Form kill pics
Many pics, pic, pic, pic, Moose scapula, 4 elk

PNWGator:
OP's wife shot a moose
A frigin moose, holy shit
I mean, if a chick can do it...

Other posters kill pics
62gr TSX, deer
75gr Gold Dot, deer
antelope
62 TSX, deer
antelope
deer
deer gold dots
More damage from 223 (pictured) than 300RUM (not pictured)

After around page 40 the pictures of dead things slowed down.

A hunting season starts around page 60, pics roll in
deer
pic
Form, multiple deer
deer
deer
deer
deer
deer
deer
deer
Form, elk, 18" AR
deer
deer
deer

Pages 70 to 100ish lots of loading, rifle set up and complaining about component availability

Another year of hunting season starts, 104 thru 124 or so
deer
deer
elk
elk, 22Creed
same elk, 22 creed
antelope lookin thing, 330m, 22-250
elk, 22-250, 270yd
Another friggen moose, 223
bear and moose (same moose?)
deer(?) 393 yards
deer
deer
deer

125 to 131 or so, lot of rifle talk.

multiple elk, all 223 77TMK
deer(?)
elk (over 800 yards?)
elk (maybe same elk?)
deer
deer
bunch of deer

Page 144ish, complaining about availability continues
Nothing huge since then

I read the thread pretty thoroughly on the first go around, but skimmed on putting together this cheat sheet.
There are pictures scattered in everywhere, but after a while I only grabbed the ones that caught my attention with either exploded insides, long range, or being elk or moose. Skipped the coyotes because nobody really doubts that .223 is a coyote gun. Same with the hogs.
So if I missed your picture, no offense intended. If I linked your picture and got something wrong, let me know. It's not always easy for me to tell what animal I'm looking at with just a picture of the inside.

But you never post pics of the ones that got away!
Near the start of the thread, .30 caliber, it "got away"

==================
October 2023 Edit:
Not a lot between this page and page 230

Those are all cow elk! Why come nobody shoots a bull with one, huh?
Bull Elk
Bull Elk
Cow and Bull Elk
22 Creedmagnum Bull Elk
Page 255 bull elk

I was going to wait for the end of the hunting season for the update, but they're knocking these bulls down like dominoes!

Bear with an ultralight AR, lots of inside pics - And the parts list on that AR
Deer, messy insides
Another one of those French Mountain Antelopes
Moose
A few deer on Page 247
Mountain goat and a deer below that
More deer on 258 and 259
Wound pics on deer from both 300 Win Mag and 223 77gr TMK

Last edited:
There’s a guy on YouTube I found awhile back that does this kind of testing. Shoots the same bullets at a few different velocities into gel. Pretty interesting. I’ll see if I can find the channel.

Simplemindedfella

Great content IMO, looks like he has put a lot of time and money into the gel testing.

I believe he tests (and hunts with) mostly 30 cal projectiles. He did test the 77tmk in one video (last year I believe??), and got good expansion at about 1650fps, but not good expansion at about 1250fps (paraphrasing his analysis).

About the 77tmk, he said (quote):
"These are a very thin jacketed bullet not necessarily designed for hunting but could apply in the right situation and they come apart and dump a lot of energy very quickly at the higher velocity... I know a few people that love the 223 rem for antelope, personally I only use them for varmints"

A year or so before he also tested the 168 tmk if I recall correctly, and got good results above 1700fps, but I don't believe he tested between 1200 and 1700fps. I could be wrong though.

But I haven't seen all if his videos, so there might be more out there that I'm not aware of.

ElPollo

WKR

Page 1 thru 10: Lot of arguing, couple of pictures. Some urban legend type of stuff, I can see why somebody would abandon thread because it looks like it's going to be another 160 pages of memes and shitposts

Page 10 thru 40 though, it gets interesting with lots of pictures of dead things
Form kill pics

PNWGator:
OP's wife shot a moose

Other posters kill pics
62gr TSX, deer
75gr Gold Dot, deer
antelope
62 TSX, deer
antelope
deer
deer gold dots

deer
pic
Form, multiple deer
deer
deer
deer
deer
deer
deer
deer
Form, elk, 18" AR
deer
deer
deer

Pages 70 to 100ish lots of loading, rifle set up and complaining about component availability

deer
deer
elk
elk, 22Creed
same elk, 22 creed
elk, 22-250, 270yd
deer(?) 393 yards
deer
deer
deer

deer(?)
elk (over 800 yards?)
elk (maybe same elk?)
deer
deer
bunch of deer

Nothing huge since then

I read the thread pretty thoroughly on the first go around, but skimmed on putting together this cheat sheet.
There are pictures scattered in everywhere, but after a while I only grabbed the ones that caught my attention with either exploded insides, long range, or being elk or moose. Skipped the coyotes because nobody really doubts that .223 is a coyote gun. Same with the hogs.
So if I missed your picture, no offense intended. If I linked your picture and got something wrong, let me know. It's not always easy for me to tell what animal I'm looking at with just a picture of the inside.

Wow. Lot of work here to link all this stuff. This post should get moved to the beginning of this thread. It might significantly reduce some of the duplication of doubter arguments that keep happening.

ElPollo

WKR
Simplemindedfella

Great content IMO, looks like he has put a lot of time and money into the gel testing.

I believe he tests (and hunts with) mostly 30 cal projectiles. He did test the 77tmk in one video (last year I believe??), and got good expansion at about 1650fps, but not good expansion at about 1250fps (paraphrasing his analysis).

About the 77tmk, he said (quote):
"These are a very thin jacketed bullet not necessarily designed for hunting but could apply in the right situation and they come apart and dump a lot of energy very quickly at the higher velocity... I know a few people that love the 223 rem for antelope, personally I only use them for varmints"

A year or so before he also tested the 168 tmk if I recall correctly, and got good results above 1700fps, but I don't believe he tested between 1200 and 1700fps. I could be wrong though.

But I haven't seen all if his videos, so there might be more out there that I'm not aware of.
I like SMF’s YouTube channel, but sometimes he confuses me. He seems to be a big supporter of ELDMs in 6.5 cm for deer and elk, but then makes statements like you mentioned about the TMK which seems to be a bit tougher and deeper penetrating bullet than the ELDM. He also seems to like ABLRs and bonded bullets that are the opposite of the ELDM and TMK. That said, I support anyone who does high and low velocity gel tests in real 10% Knox gelatin. There a lot of good info in his tests, even if you don’t always agree with his conclusions.

I like SMF’s YouTube channel, but sometimes he confuses me. He seems to be a big supporter of ELDMs in 6.5 cm for deer and elk, but then makes statements like you mentioned about the TMK which seems to be a bit tougher and deeper penetrating bullet than the ELDM. He also seems to like ABLRs and bonded bullets that are the opposite of the ELDM and TMK. That said, I support anyone who does high and low velocity gel tests in real 10% Knox gelatin. There a lot of good info in his tests, even if you don’t always agree with his conclusions.

I agree with this.

In his 77 TMK test I thought even the low velocities, I think like 1,000 and 1,200 fps they had better wound channels then some of the mono bullets I’ve seen tests on.

Form kill pics

PNWGator:
OP's wife shot a moose

Other posters kill pics
62gr TSX, deer
75gr Gold Dot, deer
antelope
62 TSX, deer
antelope
deer
deer gold dots

deer
pic
Form, multiple deer
deer
deer
deer
deer
deer
deer
deer
Form, elk, 18" AR
deer
deer
deer

deer
deer
elk
elk, 22Creed
same elk, 22 creed
elk, 22-250, 270yd
deer(?) 393 yards
deer
deer
deer

deer(?)
elk (over 800 yards?)
elk (maybe same elk?)
deer
deer
bunch of deer

Nothing huge since then

You really missed your calling.

Should have been a Memer.