.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
Been following this thread very closely and enjoying it. Don't have anything to add other than Midsouth Shooter's has 77gr TMK in stock

Edit: projectiles, not loaded rounds
Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

“Bullets matter more than headstamps.”

“Spent primers offer the supreme tutorial”.

I’ve read it here and elsewhere online. It got my attention. I started digging and asking questions and listened.

The 77gr TMK delivered by a .223 is where I ended up after many discussions and objective data regarding bullet performance and numerous pics of field results.

Now for the delivery system. Accurate. Repeatable. Reliable. Reasonable weight to afford steady shot placement and the ability to spot my own impacts yet packable. Tikka T3x, vertical grip, Sportsmatch rings, SWFA 6x MQ in mills. Replaced the trigger spring with a yo Dave, adjusted to my liking, then degreased everything and locked all of the screws down with loctite and got started.

The package checks all of the boxes. Plus, it’s FUN! Time at the range is spent learning to call wind, trigger control, spotting your own impacts and figuring out why a shot did or did not end up where you wanted it. No brake. No flinch. Inexpensive to shoot. The fun factor plus the ability to be able to afford to shoot a lot goes a long way to learning and understanding shooting, accuracy and precision.

With all of that said, I’ve decided to use 77 TMK out of a .223 from this delivery system for bear, deer and elk this season.

Opportunity presented itself a couple of days ago. I killed a mature, dry sow with the 77 TMK. Bullet performance exceeded all expectations! The terminal performance is on par with anything I’ve seen in a .284 or .30. Unreal performance. The bullet is a BEAST!

Practice will continue throughout the summer in preparation for the upcoming deer and elk seasons.

Based on my sample of one, the 77 TMK out of a .223 is truly a lethal combination well suited to a dedicated lower 48 big game rifle.

Would love to hear about others experiences with this bullet or similar bulletts!
i use the 77gr smk's out of my AR for calling lions

Attachments

• 2018 tom.jpg
    2018 tom.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 167
Not legal for big game in Oregon. Surprised that it is legal for Elk in Idaho.

Obviously Elk aren't armor-plated. And if you think like a bowhunter the 223 will put one down. But you don't have much leeway with a 223. You can end up with a hit to tag ratio greater than 1.

I am a little worried about this statement - "The terminal performance is on par with anything I’ve seen in a .284 or .30. Unreal performance. The bullet is a BEAST!"

No, it is not "on par" with 30cal fodder - not even a 30-30. It is a very marginal cartridge/bullet that CAN work if the shooter stays within its limitations. Sorry to burst your bubble, but better now than this fall when you post a sob-story about how you made a good hit and never found the elk.
what do you mean not legal in Oregon for big game? not legal for elk, but legal for deer, bear, lions, etc

Been following this thread very closely and enjoying it. Don't have anything to add other than Midsouth Shooter's has 77gr TMK in stock

Edit: projectiles, not loaded rounds
Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the heads up, I snagged 400👊

No. You listened to conventional wisdom with regards to small calibers, and while I’m sure I’ve not killed as many animals as most, between hunting and depredation I have killed and seen killed hundreds of deer.... and a few more than that. Around 40 deer with Barnes it was clear that they create less damage, and the animals run farther after being shot. I’m only personally at around 100 deer with 77gr TMK’s and the farther animal has traveled less than 30 feet sliding downhill.

This is why I constantly go against the grain with “shoot a Barnes!”

Barnes TSX’s and other monos create relatively narrow wound channels and consequently kill slower. The wound from a 62gr TSX really isn’t a whole lot different than from a mechanical broadhead. 77gr TMK’s, 75gr SPGD, 75gr AMAX/ELD-M, etc. create horrific wounds, and kill very quickly.
I do appreciate your experience, it goes somewhat against my mindset on bullets, but I’m not close minded and don’t argue results... I have had the experiences I have had and it’s tough to not follow that if it’s served me well. You have my interest up.
One question for you, what is the practical difference in smk’s and tmk’s? Would you expect similar results on game?

I shoot the smk in my AR because they shoot so dang well, with the 77gr my AR is well under moa, and I feel like consistently around a 1/2 moa

I know and accept that there are several ways to effectively skin a cat, haven’t made it through the whole thread yet but I like it.

I personally wouldn’t hunt bear with a .223 but that’s a “me” thing, I have other weapons I’m more confident in, but this thread is more about concepts not cartridges to me

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
One question for you, what is the practical difference in smk’s and tmk’s? Would you expect similar results on game?

Go back a page or two and you can see what I wrote about the 75gr Hornady HPBT. The same applies to SMK versus TMK.

If you have something that’s working, I would say great! Hard bullets are what have and do give the “marginal” label to .224 and a bit to .243 cartridges. They’re just not as emphatic in killing. However if someone is using something else and like it’s performance, that’s good.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
OT but any experience with Berger 135 or 140 in the creed?

Quite a bit. They perform well, in the usual Berger manner. That why I tend to slightly prefer ELD’s generally more than Berger’s for hunting.

Go back a page or two and you can see what I wrote about the 75gr Hornady HPBT. The same applies to SMK versus TMK.

If you have something that’s working, I would say great! Hard bullets are what have and do give the “marginal” label to .224 and a bit to .243 cartridges. They’re just not as emphatic in killing. However if someone is using something else and like it’s performance, that’s good.
yeah, i should have held off on that question, haha... made it through page 25 so far, and there are all of the answers i was looking for so far, as well as many answers to questions i didn't know i had ;)

this is quite possibly the most insightful thread i have ever read on a forum. good stuff and it's been an education for me. the beauty of not having a closed mind... i'm glad i am wrong, because i have not had any problems in the past, but it looks like i can improve my effectiveness.

i have killed coyotes, lions, and my wife killed a buck with my AR and 77gr smk's the past couple years without issue, but nothing showcased the performance i have seen in this thread.

as far as the "marginal" label, i can totally see that. my first thought when i bought my AR (got it for lion calling) was to try some mono bullets, that's what my mind told me was the best option for a small bullet. they didn't shoot great so i wrote them off for the time being.

gonna order some TMK's here soon, and hope my rifle likes them as well as the SMK's (or within practical reason) now deer and elk seasons are winding down and there are some cats that need killing around here.... timely thread to read, and i certainly have a new respect for the little .223. i may have to kill a buck with it next year.... always want to pack it for certain situations but also had reservations about deer hunting with a .223.

this thread is great, not just in the .223, but terminal performance in general. i have seen a good deal of critters die, but myself and friends/family stick to the "normal" in cartridges and bullet construction, so i don't have a great deal of comparison. i have avoided soft bullets in general, mostly because i have not seen a bunch of critters killed with them, and never heard much compelling explanation of why they work... and never had issues with accubond/partitions.

i once shot a really big bear with a 270 at 12yds with a 130gr sst, not a single little fragment made it to the opposite side of the rib cage... hit a rib on entry and bullet exploded... killed the bear dead as shit, but it was in the back of my mind... i also know that's not much of a testimony due to the impact velocity.... they aren't designed to perform at that speed... it could be argued it DID perform fine.

i'm not going to abandon what i trust across the board, but i'm glad to have a better understanding.... right tools for the job, the job changes by season.

robtattoo

WKR
Screenshot_20201212-090751_Instagram.jpg

A young friend of mine borrowed my Axis .223 while i'm working on her '06 (it constantly misfires)
I took her to the range for a couple of hours, just to be sure she could do what she needed to get the gun right for her & she was astonished by what a good shot she was, compared to shooting her Rem 700CDL She expected a cheap gun to be a POS in comparison. I'm convinced the lack of recoil just made her feel more confident.
She took this buck and the doe he was dogging at 250 & 210yds last night. No wound pics i'm afraid. 77gn TMK dropped both on the spot. Clean rib-rib on the buck with a 1.5" exit. Doe was quartering away, hit the last rib, broke her offside shoulder & kept going.
She offered me half tempting money for the gun, on the spot 😂

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Well you SOBs talked me into it! Haha!!

d1387371ece1fd7837e7232dc0febb43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk