.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Antelope seem to be like feral goats. Basically any bullet that doesn’t grenade or pencil kills them.

what’s the 80’s bc true up as?

ericwh

WKR
355 yards, around a 1” exit, no bone.

204 yards-

250-

Were these pics in response to my question about the 80gr Nosler Custom Competition or were they another 77gr TMK data point for the thread?

what’s the 80’s bc true up as?

If this was a question for me, I don't know yet. I have done load development with the 80gr Sierras (which are pointed and probably not suitable for hunting) and the 80.5 Bergers (which look like they might be good for hunting, lots of .224 Valkyrie kill data on the internet) and that's all so far. Haven't shot them further than 100y yet.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Were these pics in response to my question about the 80gr Nosler Custom Competition or were they another 77gr TMK data point for the thread?

Those are 77gr TMK’s.
The CC’s perform similarly to standard SMK’s. That is generally they will fragment and penetrate decently, killing well- but they can be erratic sometimes. The TMK is a much better bullet terminally.

Yeah im gonna go back to TMK for most hunts..

That said an ai 7 twist would be pretty sweet for 88’s.

Dana

FNG
It's all about the bullet. A properly twisted .224 barrel can deliver a properly constructed projectile and be very lethal to some pretty tough targets. Terminal performance is impressive even when motivated by the lowly 223 rem case. Scenarshooter knows of what he speaks....

woods89

WKR
A little off topic I realize......

But I have a bunch of 130 TMK loaded up for my 6.5 Creedmoor. I assume I can also expect havoc from these? I think I'm going to use them next week for our firearms season.

In my limited experience, 3 medium size deer they are a bit harder than I would like, 139 scenars make bigger holes

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

But I have a bunch of 130 TMK loaded up for my 6.5 Creedmoor. I assume I can also expect havoc from these? I think I'm going to use them next week for our firearms season.

They are a bigger version of the 77gr. A bit deeper penetrating than ELD-M of the same class.

In my limited experience, 3 medium size deer they are a bit harder than I would like, 139 scenars make bigger holes

What animals, ranges, and angles? Did you open them up to check the full wound paths? TMK’s definitely fragment more and faster than equivalent Scenars. Exits may be larger with a Scenar on some animals/shots due to the front end fragmenting on the TMK’s earlier and leaving mostly the base to exit. Scenars actually are one of the “hardest” match bullets made. Not usual to see little to no upset for 4-8 inches of initial penetration.

woods89

WKR

I got a chance to fill an antlerless tag tag tonight and answer my own question. Yea, they work, alright. Not a very big deer but one of the most impressive bangflops I've seen. Deer was quartering away with entry through the scapula and exit in front of the shoulder on the off side. Caliber size entry and golf ball plus size exit with gore sprayed all over the ground on the off side. Obviously there was some spinal damage with the exit at the base of the neck which probably was responsible for the fall in it's tracks. I did the gutless method but could hear all sorts of gurgling from the chest cavity.

I feel sooo unethical for using a match bullet on game..........

Edited to add: Shot was 70 yds, impact velocity around 2700 fps.
I wish they would make about a 145 gr version......

Last edited:
3 mule deer in 5 days with the 75gr eld-m at 2900fps

no pics but unless I’m pretty sure shots are over 400, sticking to the 77gr tmk.

Tartan

WKR
OK, I've been following this thread for a long time and am bought in. Just moved into a new house, as soon as our old house sells I'm going to pull the trigger on a tikka 223. Shot a lot texas whitetail and pigs with my 30-06 and the wound channels shown here with the 77tmk look identical if not better than the ttsx load that my rifle likes. And, I've got two little kids who will be able to start hunting in a couple years.

Does anybody know what the max coal is for the tikka lite mag and chamber? I see unknown munitions offers the 77tmk at both a 2.24" and 2.42" length. Trying to figure out if there would be a benefit going ctr instead of the lite.

Thanks!

OK, I've been following this thread for a long time and am bought in. Just moved into a new house, as soon as our old house sells I'm going to pull the trigger on a tikka 223. Shot a lot texas whitetail and pigs with my 30-06 and the wound channels shown here with the 77tmk look identical if not better than the ttsx load that my rifle likes. And, I've got two little kids who will be able to start hunting in a couple years.

Does anybody know what the max coal is for the tikka lite mag and chamber? I see unknown munitions offers the 77tmk at both a 2.24" and 2.42" length. Trying to figure out if there would be a benefit going ctr instead of the lite.

Thanks!

The max factory mag length is 2.3” and the chamber allows for much longer than that. Mountain tactical makes a magazine that accepts up to 2.6”

Lawnboi

WKR
A was OK, I've been following this thread for a long time and am bought in. Just moved into a new house, as soon as our old house sells I'm going to pull the trigger on a tikka 223. Shot a lot texas whitetail and pigs with my 30-06 and the wound channels shown here with the 77tmk look identical if not better than the ttsx load that my rifle likes. And, I've got two little kids who will be able to start hunting in a couple years.

Thanks!
My 77 load, .020 off the lands won’t fit in the tikka mag and is 2.35 if I remember right. I could go measure if needed. My throat is pretty short, Iv got a lot of bullet in the case, even so loaded where I found accuracy they won’t fit in the stock mag.

Mountain tactical 223 mags, which replace the factory mag, take 2.6”. Iv got over 1k rounds on this mag and am very happy. Happy enough I bought a few more. (75 eldm pictured below in a stock tikka and mountain tactical mag) I was going to try my stock mag with the 77s for hunting being it’s a hair more flush, but I couldn’t cram them in.

4A143BB5-3A47-46F0-A4FF-4E8CE8DB4173.jpeg

i Didn’t notice enough of a velocity or accuracy increase to push 77gr tmk beyond 2.25 coal. If memory serves its 2.39 to lands.

That said I batch load em at a node that shoots across a few platforms so stanag confines it is.

75gr eld-m touches at 2.43

I wish they held together better up close. That said they do kill stuff, but not like 77’s.

Anyone have experience with 65gr game kings?

Got a pile of them for cheap. Kimber Montana loves them at 2900. Tempted to drop a mule deer this weekend on the opener. 77’s stabilized today at 4200 DAP, not sure how they do at 1500 tho.

They are a bigger version of the 77gr. A bit deeper penetrating than ELD-M of the same class.

What animals, ranges, and angles? Did you open them up to check the full wound paths? TMK’s definitely fragment more and faster than equivalent Scenars. Exits may be larger with a Scenar on some animals/shots due to the front end fragmenting on the TMK’s earlier and leaving mostly the base to exit. Scenars actually are one of the “hardest” match bullets made. Not usual to see little to no upset for 4-8 inches of initial penetration.

i will be back to this soon, with details

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
3 mule deer in 5 days with the 75gr eld-m at 2900fps

no pics but unless I’m pretty sure shots are over 400, sticking to the 77gr tmk.
Get a little splashy?

Semi related, I put a 105 hpbt (saami 243 @ 80 yards) into a 2.5 yo northern Michigan whitetail buck’s ribs on Monday. No shoulder bone or meat - pure broadside ribs. Complete upset on a near side rib and a few small fragments made it to the far ribs. Killed well but left me happy I didn’t have to take a shoulder point shot (quartering-to).

Still have a few tags with which to use the 223 Montana & 77 tmks, which are zeroed and ready to go.

TxxAgg

WKR
Anyone have rough speed numbers for the 77 tmk in a 16.5" barrel?

I was averaging 2725 fps from a 20" barrel but just cut it.

2700ish 16” for me

75’s did not exit on a spine shot, a lung shot, or a neck shot, or a front shoulder shot.

Neck shot, spine shot = bang flop.

Both lung/shoulder shots the animal did run. Not much, but in one case it wasn’t ideal.

Weird on the 105’s.. 108’s are Hammers. Front shoulder quartering to on a big Wyoming mule deer and got exits 24” later