.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

chamois

FNG
I have to thank Formid from whom I have learned a lot. His generosity sharing his experience was the leitmotif that conducted my two last gun projects. First was a 1:8" 22-250 with which I exclusively shoot 77gr TMKs. I decided to move up the the 22-250 speeds a little weary that the 223´s might not be enough.
To make it short I found it so devastating that I ended up loading them down to 3,125fps and ordered a second barrel (I hunt exclusively with Blaser K95 single shots which admit swapping barrels) in 5,6x50R.
The first kills with the 5,6 have been 13 roe deer and the chamois you can see in this photo. It was shot at 330 meters by my good friend Roberto in the French Alps shooting my gun.
So far I am shooting 75gr ELDMs at 2,950 fps, of which I managed to get hold of 5 boxes, in order to save my 77gr TMKs for the 22-250 and the performance of this combination has been outstanding, displacing the 22-250 on animals the size of our roebucks (60 lbs) and up to the size of chamois (80 lbs).
So, thank you, Formid. Also because you inspired my curiosity and gave me two little toys which I enjoyed so much putting together and now shooting and hunting with!
rc2 alpes.jpeg

Antares

WKR
I have to thank Formid from whom I have learned a lot. His generosity sharing his experience was the leitmotif that conducted my two last gun projects. First was a 1:8" 22-250 with which I exclusively shoot 77gr TMKs. I decided to move up the the 22-250 speeds a little weary that the 223´s might not be enough.
To make it short I found it so devastating that I ended up loading them down to 3,125fps and ordered a second barrel (I hunt exclusively with Blaser K95 single shots which admit swapping barrels) in 5,6x50R.
The first kills with the 5,6 have been 13 roe deer and the chamois you can see in this photo. It was shot at 330 meters by my good friend Roberto in the French Alps shooting my gun.
So far I am shooting 75gr ELDMs at 2,950 fps, of which I managed to get hold of 5 boxes, in order to save my 77gr TMKs for the 22-250 and the performance of this combination has been outstanding, displacing the 22-250 on animals the size of our roebucks (60 lbs) and up to the size of chamois (80 lbs).
So, thank you, Formid. Also because you inspired my curiosity and gave me two little toys which I enjoyed so much putting together and now shooting and hunting with!
View attachment 470045

I don’t know much about chamois, but that looks TALL! Congrats.

Dobermann

WKR
TO84s work just fine with the KRG Bravo.
Glad they work for you - they didn't for me (but were perfect on the standard Tikka stock).

As others have said, perhaps this is about facial structure.

I also wonder in part, if it's about differences in how high some of us hold our heads when seeking NPA - I've adopted a slightly higher line as I've come more medial with the buttstock.

In any case, the difference in the T084s on the two stocks was so noticeable, I finally put them one on top of the other, so I could work out what was happening ... on my set-ups, at least, when aligning the barrels/scope rail, the Bravo cheekpiece was far higher than the factory T3X stock.

Doing the same process with the T084s on the factory stock, and the Raptor High mount on the Bravo showed they were a similar height once comb/cheekpiece height was taken into account.

Sorry to not have photos to show this, but hope this explanation conveys my experience.

As with all things, perhaps it's worth everyone trying this out for themselves and going with what works best for them.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
View attachment 470045

Sir, you certainly didn’t need me. And I greatly appreciate your information that you have given me.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
Took my new T3x Lite out for the first time on paper. 77tmks over the prescribed 24.5grn of TAC at 2.26. As boringly simple as advertised. Totally mixed range pickup brass shooting factory seconds. The one flyer to the right was probably me. My scope is a garbage rod Nikon. Trijicon Credo is the plan. Won’t be for a couple months.
D9E9BA7E-9024-49D2-AB04-80D4C421E499.jpg

Negative.

It was made by Western Knife Company and has “L66” stamped on it.

It was my dad’s old boy scout knife from back in the day that he gave to me last year. It is the only sentimental price of gear in my kit

Very cool. Those old stacked leather handled knives are pretty neat and have good steel; bet it holds a nice edge. The Marbles knife in my profile pic was a gift to my son from his great uncle. Not ultralight, but as you say sentimental and was worth enough to haul up to the alpine after goats the last two trips.

Looking at .223 suppressors for a 16” bolt gun I’m planning. What are good compact and light options I should be looking at? Most 556 cans are heavy with QD mount & rated for full auto. I have a Nomad Ti .30 cal but would like something direct thread that will just stay on the 223.

The griffin Optimus Micro is on my radar. It’s $500 and 8.5oz 5.3” long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at .223 suppressors for a 16” bolt gun I’m planning. What are good compact and light options I should be looking at? Most 556 cans are heavy with QD mount & rated for full auto. I have a Nomad Ti .30 cal but would like something direct thread that will just stay on the 223.

From what I've seen, that will be your best bet. I haven't seen a smaller or lighter supressor that'll still run on a 5.56.

@Lawnboi has one of those, i'm sure he'll chime in.

Lawnboi

WKR

I don’t think the optimus micro is the ideal strictly centerfire 22 cal can. It excels at being a jack of all trades 22 cal can, something you can use on rimfire and center fire. It’s small, it suppresses a 223 surprisingly well, but it won’t sound like your nomad ti on there. That and for centerfire I wouldn’t get a take apart can.

It is small, light and almost unnoticeable on the end of your rifle. That can is the reason I want an ultra 5 6.5 strictly for 223 use, it’s lighter, not direct thread but it if it’s purpose is only that rifle I don’t see a down side.

I don’t think the optimus micro is the ideal strictly centerfire 22 cal can. It excels at being a jack of all trades 22 cal can, something you can use on rimfire and center fire. It’s small, it suppresses a 223 surprisingly well, but it won’t sound like your nomad ti on there. That and for centerfire I wouldn’t get a take apart can.

It is small, light and almost unnoticeable on the end of your rifle. That can is the reason I want an ultra 5 6.5 strictly for 223 use, it’s lighter, not direct thread but it if it’s purpose is only that rifle I don’t see a down side.

Thanks for the advise, I already have a rimfire can so I don’t really need it to pull duty there. Also with a 6.5 ultra 5 I could always put it on a 6mm or my 6.5

Looks like I’ll have to spend double and wait for one to come instock somewhere.

Lawnboi

WKR
Thanks for the advise, I already have a rimfire can so I don’t really need it to pull duty there. Also with a 6.5 ultra 5 I could always put it on a 6mm or my 6.5

Looks like I’ll have to spend double and wait for one to come instock somewhere.

Personally I’d order straight from them and wait. That way you can get the exact brake you want. The NTB is going to be the lightest I believe