.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

260madman

WKR
What bullet?
The 77 TMK (see post above rib cage pics) that didn’t make it through the offside hide. There’s no lump under the hide anywhere. Ive had bullets not make it through and bounce inside the chest cavity and find them in the blood by the gut pile. I looked a bit ago and couldn’t find it but it’s been since last night and stuff is gooey and thick even when poking around in it.

260madman

WKR
No. I was poking around that area this morning.

I was hoping for a perfect broadside shot for her but this buck came out to our right. Quartering to shoulder it is then. The lungs were punched through the center and jello was inside the chest because of it.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
My biggest whitetail buck to date!! 77 grain TMK @ 100 yards…. 16” AR 15 2600 at the muzzle. Lungs were jelly… I’ll have more info when I get him skinned out. Thanks for the inspiration!! It was a bit of rodeo of a season for me but this is a great capper!! A sneaky mature 8 point… I’m already planning the AR build for my boys to hunt with!!

11/23/21 Edited to add: I'm a late bloomer getting started hunting. I've only been at it about 5 years or so. So I know I've got a lot to learn. But I pick up bits where I can but I also tend to learn the hard way (lol). 11/21/21 Approx 4:45 pm Broadside shot. First shot was high double lung. Mule kicked and hopped. I thought at first he was gut shot (I know now that is a good sign of vitals hit) so I hit him again. This time he hunched his back (gut shot) and made for the thick stuff. I lost sight of him before he entered the brush. I waited and listened for a few seconds and was positive I heard him crash down and thrash a few seconds after that, BUT in my head I had just gut shot this deer TWICE and was SURE he was headed for the next county to bed down and die. I could PUKE!! So, torn between what I know I heard, and what I was afraid of I got my 6 y.o. son out of the truck and headed into the track job. A little fearful I might push him but almost certain I heard him go down. After about an hour of searching it was full dark and time to get my son home for dinner and get a better flashlight. Did you know it takes about 90 minutes for adrenaline to completely exit your system?? Sounds about right. It wasn't until about 30 minutes or so into the second attempt that I REALLY started honestly, and calmly replaying the scene in my head. And I KNEW now that he was indeed down on that first brushy hillside somewhere. At exactly 8:15 pm I found him tangled in a wild rose thicket at the edge of the brush, in the opposite direction of where I thought he ran, and only about 40 yards from where I shot him. No exit wounds. I'm pretty sure the high vitals shot lodged in the off side hide but I won't know until this weekend when I can dress him out. The gut shot was minor, thankfully very little nasty stuff in the body cavity to deal with. I'm just relieved he didn't suffer. So it's a decisive win for the 77 TMK, and a HUGE leaning experience for me. 8CC74DFD-CFD2-4284-B8CD-4CE6790E2642.jpeg

Last edited:

WKR
Perhaps it's been asked before but how does the MatchKing compare to the TMK in the same weights?

Similar or a different animal altogether?

LimeSpoon

FNG
Perhaps it's been asked before but how does the MatchKing compare to the TMK in the same weights?

Similar or a different animal altogether?
Less consistent, longer neck, much higher velocity needed to deform, tends to be less explosive at all velocities though the difference becomes more pronounced as it approaches its frag threshold. Generally depends on yaw to initiate upset rather than the more reliable mechanism of hydraulic expansion. Still works for the most part, but considerably less optimized for terminal performance.

On the plus side, they may penetrate a bit more.

Last edited: