.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

amassi

WKR
I haven't made it all the way through this beast yet, but, before I lose my thought and patience (been chewing through this thread slowly for months). I've gotta ask the experts; what do you think of a barnes or better yet an absolute hammer or black hills dual performance through a shoulder vs your beloved TMK (NOT through the shoulder I assume?)? I'm thinking elk or big muleys... Just curious, I won't be setting down my new 6.5cm for this (got it for open country out to 500 yards IF I can make the grade at the range), but I have downgraded my 4lb contender from 30-30 to .223 for small spring black bears, thanks to this thread. I shoot monos for the birds and kids, and haven't lost an elk with barnes, but switching to dual performance, or A hammers if the DP's don't perform. Thanks for the thread!

*Edit. And with the should shots, how does the meat damage compare between the two? Monos on shoulder vs tmk in the ribs?
My limited experience with barnes (150 gr. .308), I've killed about 7 elk, and 5-7 deer, never hit a shoulder on the way in, and I only remember hitting one shoulder on the way out, and the meat damage wasn't nearly as bad as a lead bullet. I'm patient and shoot through the lungs, but always up for improvement...
Make it all the way through the thread. There's dozens of photos of the tmk going through elk, bear and moose shoulders.
If your happy with monos, cool, but this is to the thread to discuss their lack of merit.
Here's a fairly calm dumpster fire about monos

Trackselk

WKR
Make it all the way through the thread. There's dozens of photos of the tmk going through elk, bear and moose shoulders.
If your happy with monos, cool, but this is to the thread to discuss their lack of merit.
Here's a fairly calm dumpster fire about monos
Thanks man

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Vantage Reloading has 77tmk in stock, they are not listed on their website but if you contact them you can order. The place seems legit I ordered up a flat rate box full and they were delivered today. Looks like he is only selling in 500ct boxes though so no small quantities.

Not sure if I can post a link to their site with contact info here or not? I found the guy on a Facebook group and chatted with him a bit and then took a chance and everything was in order.

Drenalin

WKR
Vantage Reloading has 77tmk in stock, they are not listed on their website but if you contact them you can order. The place seems legit I ordered up a flat rate box full and they were delivered today. Looks like he is only selling in 500ct boxes though so no small quantities.

Not sure if I can post a link to their site with contact info here or not? I found the guy on a Facebook group and chatted with him a bit and then took a chance and everything was in order.
Can you PM me his information please?

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I have his contact info I just don’t know about posting it here. I’m not trying to advertise for him just trying to help some people get the bullets, the price was decent pretty well in line with prices before they became unavailable.

Last edited:
I have his contact info I just don’t know about posting it here. I’m not trying to advertise for him just trying to help some people get the bullets, the price was decent pretty well in line with prices before they became unavailable.

As long as it isn't a scam, you can post the information.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
As long as it isn't a scam, you can post the information.

I had zero issues, paid for the product and it came as advertised problem free just like I would expect from some of the bigger names.

I communicated with him via Facebook but here is his site and email. He emailed me an invoice and I was able to pay with CC through the invoice pretty painless. I have a phone number and email as well but out of respect for him I will only provide that via pm because it is not listed on his site. You can also find him under “vantage research” on Facebook. He was pleasant to deal with and seemed like a stand up guy. I would buy from him again I hope this helps some people out.

Attachments

• 46A8C314-3307-40CB-AAFD-0A79DCE35D1B.jpeg
    46A8C314-3307-40CB-AAFD-0A79DCE35D1B.jpeg
    264.3 KB · Views: 79
  • CC7FB3EB-2C86-4FDE-8605-AF900404F810.jpeg
    CC7FB3EB-2C86-4FDE-8605-AF900404F810.jpeg
    439.7 KB · Views: 77

Lil-Rokslider
Iv got 500 88s on the way.

I’m hoping to keep them around 3000 to avoid spinning them too fast.
I shot the 88s out of a 22BR with a 1-7" up to 3100 fps and never had one come apart. I tried some 75s, but I didn't gain much speed.

Lawnboi

WKR
I shot the 88s out of a 22BR with a 1-7" up to 3100 fps and never had one come apart. I tried some 75s, but I didn't gain much speed.
Good to hear.

I think a lot of the issue is so many tight bore 224 barrels out there. I made sure the blank I got is .219.

I’m hoping the 88s work.

Rooggvc

WKR
Good to hear.

I think a lot of the issue is so many tight bore 224 barrels out there. I made sure the blank I got is .219.

I’m hoping the 88s work.
I am in the same boat regarding the worry about 88's coming apart. I am planning on a Preferred Barrel to run the 88's out of the 22 Creedmoor. Preferred uses a .219 blank, but it's 3R Rifling. I am concerned that the 3R could cause me issues in a 1/7 twist. So currently I am l considering a 1/7.5. (Maybe someone can chime in that has used the 88's out of a 1/7 Preferred blank.)

Julius K

FNG
Anybody know how high above the bore on my tikka t3x lite the crosshairs on my 6x swfa in Talley lw lows are?

Axlrod

WKR
I am in the same boat regarding the worry about 88's coming apart. I am planning on a Preferred Barrel to run the 88's out of the 22 Creedmoor. Preferred uses a .219 blank, but it's 3R Rifling. I am concerned that the 3R could cause me issues in a 1/7 twist. So currently I am l considering a 1/7.5. (Maybe someone can chime in that has used the 88's out of a 1/7 Preferred blank.)
Not a prefered, but I have a Xcaliber 7tw 22 Creed 27", and most of 40 88's didn't make it to the 100 yard target. 7.5 tw will shoot the 88's, so if you can get it changed, it will give you a little bit of margin.