Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btaylor

WKR
The content that is pushed out by those on social media is because that is what the people watching want to see. You guys are barking up the wrong tree. It is those subscribers/watchers that are choosing the content. The people providing the content are just giving them what they want.
So what you are saying is Ho's gonna Ho?

KurtR

WKR
If you put a duck bill in your mouth your a idiot. A nice picture holding an animal and smiling is not a problem. I post pics with birds and my dog because we have worked our ass off training every day and I am proud of how he works in the field.

Btaylor

WKR
Why does anybody owe you the context again ?
They dont if they are not using their actions for self promotion. When it goes into the public domain, the narrative changes due to the influence those action could have on others. When you put your actions on public display, you need to be aware of all of the potential consequences that could result from it. Take the Bowmar bear spearing for example. There is no way anyone with any sense at all could think that showing that kill would in any way be beneficial. If you are in the woods hunting and need to pee, you just pull it out and let'r rip. If you are in a park full of kids and you need to pee, you most likely arent going to do that. Why is that? Consequences

If you put a duck bill in your mouth your a idiot. A nice picture holding an animal and smiling is not a problem. I post pics with birds and my dog because we have worked our ass off training every day and I am proud of how he works in the field.
I can understand taking a pic for remembrance cause your proud. But you post pics to the internet cause your proud?
I’ve been proud of all manner of things, but it’s never crossed my mind to post to the internet because of it. Different personalities I suppose.

KurtR

WKR
I can understand taking a pic for remembrance cause your proud. But you post pics to the internet cause your proud?
I’ve been proud of all manner of things, but it’s never crossed my mind to post to the internet because of it. Different personalities I suppose.
i do because a bunch of the guys i train with all like to see what our dogs and how the hunt went are up to. The pro trainers who have helped with getting the titles and also working in the field like to see the progress. Didnt even know we had a HRC club around here till i posted something on facebook.

i do because a bunch of the guys i train with all like to see what our dogs and how the hunt went are up to. The pro trainers who have helped with getting the titles and also working in the field like to see the progress. Didnt even know we had a HRC club around here till i posted something on facebook.
That makes more since to me, posting for a group of folks you personally know.
I framed your comment in the context of casting it out into the universe.
Private Facebook groups are maybe a little different animal.

Mtnboy

WKR
I'd wager that most folks sticking up for the "influencers" are wanna be "influencers" themselves.

Keep making those posts and using those hashtags bros, remember consistency is key when it comes to content. Maybe someday you'll be able to get that 20% off discount for some Doe In Heat Urine that your working so hard towards 🤣

TheTone

WKR
I'd wager that most folks sticking up for the "influencers" are wanna be "influencers" themselves.

Keep making those posts and using those hashtags bros, remember consistency is key when it comes to content. Maybe someday you'll be able to get that 20% off discount for some Doe In Heat Urine that your working so hard towards 🤣
Seriously, people acting like they or a family member was called out

Here’s a little secret: you as a follower, liker, commenter etc of these people are the product they use to pitch to sponsors for more money

I think the underlying complaint that Matt R makes is that social media is contributing to increased demand for hunting opportunities and eventually that means reduced opportunity overall and crowding that leads to dissatisfaction and so on. Concern of monetization is secondary. He asks the question "Why show pictures to strangers?" to try and expose some intellectual dishonesty that is rampant in the accounts of certain influencers, but this feels like he is just trying to add one more reason not to post and maybe trying to twist the knife a little bit.

The counter point is that we need hunting advocates to win political battles and the influencers are helping with that.

I'm not entirely convinced that we need more hunters to advocate for hunting rights. Yes, only 15% of Americans hunt but, I think the statistic is that something like 80% of Americans support hunting (as long as it is for meat) and support drops to slightly below 50% for trophy hunting. What this means to me is that at least 30% of Americans don't understand modern hunting ethics. I'd venture to say even more don't understand the connection between public lands and hunting. Heck, I've met many people who have no idea how to access public land or that it even exists, and they live here in the west. But I digress, the point is that if 80% of Americans already support hunting, what more do we have to gain by recruiting more hunters.

Hunters will always be a small percentage of the population. Even if we double hunter numbers, we would still only be 30% of the population, and where would all of those additional hunters fit into the existing tag structures?

We aren't going to ensure the survival of hunting by recruiting more hunters, we'll never have a majority that way. The only chance is to educate non-hunters and make sure they understand modern hunting conservation and ethics. That is why I think shows like Meateater that focus on the food aspects of hunting are beneficial and Randy Newberg's show that focuses on conservation and public lands is beneficial. (Although, if Randy quit making "how to draw tags" videos I'd be very happy.)

*zap*

WKR
Social media and this stuff he talks about is not going anywhere....every one that ditches it is replaced by 2-3 other folks.

JRam07

FNG
I dont get why Aaron Snyder or Dave Staton would be mad at Matt.

Aaron should be mad at the editor who chose the photo of him, but I'm guessing he's buddies with the BRCC boys.

Dave should be mad at the guy who wrote the article that Matt was referring to.

On a side note, Matt isn't even the first one to bring up social media, outdoorlife has written about it, bowhunting.com has, a lot of results if you Google "social media bad for hunting" some from years ago

The only thing Matt did is he cut out the BS, he's a scientist, they tend to do that.

BobbyMac

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't read every response so it may have already been stated.

I see a time in the not so distant future where all hunting related SM will be de-platformed, de-monetized or just eliminated altogether, as it does not jive with the "social norms" of the membership or back room censorship groups...of said platforms!
I mean...if it can happen to Shawn Woods and his mousetrap Mondays YouTube videos(1.63M subscribers).....showing mice getting trapped(killed)...it can and will happen to hunters...even with the "kill shot" edited out!
I hope they're merch game is strong....because there will be a day when that's all they have!

maufic

FNG
Cam Hanes has posted numerous times about how he gives away meat to his neighbors and co workers. And I don’t really think it matters if he got it from a otc unit, a limited draw unit or a private ranch. As hunters we need to stop talking shit about, trying to silence and hating on other hunters that have a large platform and use it to promote hunting with a positive image. There’s no reason for it. We’re just shooting ourselves in the foot. For Matt Rinella to talk as much shit about Rogan as he did, just makes him sound like a whiny elitist bitch. And does nothing to help the hunting community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think Matt Rinella's problem with Rogan is that he sees Rogan as more of a trigger man than a hunter.

JRam07

FNG
I think the giving meat away is a good argument in certain cases. It's been something I've been thinking over for a while.

I don't think giving meat away because you have excess meat, because you've hunted more than you can eat is a good or noble thing. It's possibly robbing other people of an opportunity to hunt, and it's straining natural resources.

Giving meat away knowing that your making a sacrifice is better.

And I give a lot of meat away, give it to co-workers, my boss, other friends. This year I gave away almost all the deer meat away that I got, though I have yet to get a deer personally.

It makes a difference on species too, whitetails are over populated in areas, they have to be managed otherwise they'll destroy the environment, and starve. Can the same argument be made for Elk? I don't know.

I've always felt uneasy when people kill deer just to donate to hunters for humanity (or whatever it's called)

If you're to the point where you're donating meat, you should probably stop hunting that animal for the year, and in the future plan accordingly.

I'm not gonna fault a guy if he enters a bunch of draws and gets lucky, but if your packing meat right it will last longer than a year.

Also seems counter productive to the "more hunters is better" argument if you're not going to change the way you hunt so that other hunters can have success and they continue to hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.