Social Media Guidelines for Hunters

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders.

I’d like to put a short chapter in my book about what is expected by hunters on social media these days.

Now for those of you who hate social media, I don’t need to hear from you, There are plenty of threads on this social media site covering that.

But we’ve had some very informative threads on here about what hunters want to see on the social media platforms like Instagram, YouTube, and even forums. I really pay attention to them all.

It’s been suggested that people shouldn’t even post in 2022, and that is just fine if you’re going to do that. I support you!

But the problem is, social media is going to continue and probably only grow.

If we don’t have a force for good on there…well it will not improve.

I’ve helped run the show with Ryan and the mods here going on 10 years and seen what has changed and I want to adapt when necessary and possible

This is what I have on my list so far

-while forums are social media, they can police themselves better than public forums where people don’t understand hunting.
-Most hunters are fine with a kill shot, but many are becoming more leery about showing them on open platforms where it’s not just hunters.
-obviously the blood and guts, are not welcome
-long range shots, should we show them?
-bad hits and wounded animals. Can hunters really handle the truth that they say should be in films?
-the grip n grin isn’t the only image we should share (dang, now they tell me, that’s about all I got)
-how much should we celebrate after the kill?
-People don’t want their spots blown up on the forum, in films, or on the picture platforms. We need to be careful with what we show.
-The hero age has passed, pretty much everybody puts their pants on the same and if you’re constantly telling people what a great hunter you are, it gets a little old. (I’m sorry if I’ve ever come across that way.)
-be nice! Bullying hardly changes anyone’s behavior on social media. I’ve seen it just embolden powerful influencers to just continue to spew. Just blowing up the guy’s comments to tell him how much you don’t like him and how your ways are better, then to have those comments deleted, isn’t really doing anything. Reach out to him directly. And don’t call him a name, you might actually find he’ll discuss things with you. Even if he doesn’t, it’s hard to ignore a reasonable person
-do we really need to be part of the cancel culture? If someone screws up, do they deserve a second chance? As the late Dennis Wintch, said, “if you’re hunting, you’re probably breaking the law,”
-it’s ok to tell people you’re sorry
-unfollow people and groups you don’t think are promoting hunting in a positive light. Let them know you’ve left the fold
-buy products from companies that have a good track record for repping hunting,(caution, companies are people too and they’re not perfect, and you won’t agree on everything)

What else could you guys add to this list? (Or take away?)

Again this is not a debate about social media, but the how-to to ensure a hunting future for all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Baddog

WKR
If you are posting on social media, think about what a non hunter will take away from your post.
Why? Do non hunters follow hunting pages? I don’t follow skiers, quilters or other things that don’t interest me. Obviously a little discretion is probably not bad judgment but I don’t get trying to hide…

sneaky

"DADDY"
Why? Do non hunters follow hunting pages? I don’t follow skiers, quilters or other things that don’t interest me. Obviously a little discretion is probably not bad judgment but I don’t get trying to hide…
They absolutely do. They follow hunting pages and watch hunting videos to get fuel for their anti hunting campaigns. Guys give them PLENTY of fuel unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

I didn’t take it that he was saying we should hide. Just that we need to think about our non-hunters may view our post. “Discretion” as you said

Do you know how social media works? Do you really think hunting posts only reach hunters? Is quilting a hot topic issue that pits quilters vs people that want to ban quilting? Did we just see the start of a ban on Block and Patchwork quilting techniques in AZ and CO? Who said anything about hiding?

Last edited:
Tips on respectful harvest photos.
-Don't ride on the animal
-clean up as much blood as possible, tuck the tongue back in etc.

Skip the obviously staged, posed and product placement pics of the process and harvest that come across as simply trying for likes.

Looking forward to the book!

Tmac

WKR
One thought that comes to mind as I read this thread, last I saw the concept of trophy hunting was a negative, especially among non-hunters. Hunting to feed your family was well received. If I were putting something out there on public social media, I‘d avoid any focus on the trophy aspect, especially with long armed photos of the animal, and probably avoid prominently featuring a rifle in the foreground. Not to say one should not mention it was a trophy, but to say equal or more billing to food aspect. Most hunters can look at a properly framed photo, no need for a long arm ish deal, and know it’s a very large animal.

Most folks do not hunt, words do matter, and perceptions (right or wrong) are peoples realities. So in this case I am saying optics matter, and not the ones we look through.

Baddog

WKR
Do you know how social media works? Do you really think hunting posts only reach hunters? Is quilting a hot topic issue that pits quilters vs people that want to ban quilting? Did we just see the start of a ban on Block and Patchwork quilting techniques in AZ and CO? Who said anything about hiding?
I guess I think those who are going to be offended by a picture of a dead animal don’t really care what the pose is or if the tongue is hanging out or not…. And no I don’t really know how social media works…. This is as far as I go…

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I just thought of another one, always mention the meat it’s just a not cliché thing to do, I have seriously met people that think I don’t eat the meat from the big bucks I w taken.

One lady thought my friend just left the meat on the mountain. As we got talking to her we realized she didn’t know any hunters who appreciate the antlers so she just assumed those guy left the meat! She was visibly relieved when we explained it.

Tmac

WKR
Anti hunters are going to be anti hunters. Play to your supporters. Worrying about what some left wing nuts think, is a waste of time…
Left wing nuts vote. Non-hunters vote. There are several stop cat hunting/stop using dogs type proposals being considered in two states right now. If you are advocating a closed group, sure, if a public forum, we disagree.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
One thought that comes to mind as I read this thread, last I saw the concept of trophy hunting was a negative, especially among non-hunters. Hunting to feed your family was well received. If I were putting something out there on public social media, I‘d avoid any focus on the trophy aspect, especially with long armed photos of the animal, and probably avoid prominently featuring a rifle in the foreground. Not to say one should not mention it was a trophy, but to say equal or more billing to food aspect..

You and I were typing at the same time!

I’ve come to despise the word trophy hunting. We all know what it means, but the non-hunter doesn’t

I guess I think those who are going to be offended by a picture of a dead animal don’t really care what the pose is or if the tongue is hanging out or not…. And no I don’t really know how social media works…. This is as far as I go…
Those who are going to be offended are going to be offended. Its more about not offending those that are on the fence and indifferent to hunting. The battle is not against anti's, the battle is not making more anti's.

Tmac

WKR
I just thought of another one, always mention the meat it’s just a not cliché thing to do, I have seriously met people that think I don’t eat the meat from the big bucks I w taken.

One lady thought my friend just left the meat on the mountain. As we got talking to her we realized she didn’t know any hunters who appreciate the antlers so she just assumed those guy left the meat! She was visibly relieved when we explained it.

That is a common misunderstanding. I hear it often here near Portland. Where it can get difficult is some animals in some states, meat recovery is not legally required. So imo, I only show, discuss, etc. hunts where the meat is going to be used, whether required by law or not. Meat eater does that part well…

Tmac

WKR
Thanks fair, learn from those that do know how social media works, like MuleyFever.