Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtnboy

WKR
Matt is probably close to your age, and also from Michigan. You’ve made ~25 years of decisions that led to where you are now. If living and hunting out west were at the top of your priorities, you’d be there like he is. Not still in Michigan, saying he has it easy compared to you.
Exactly.

Hey guys, new to posting on Rokslide, but have been hanging in the shadows reading forums/gear reviews/etc.
I've read through this entire thread and have had a bit of time to reflect on all the different points of view here.... I come from a multi-generational hunting family on my side and the same can be said on my wife's side of the family. I hunt public land DIY with both sides of the family. We had limited success hunting in the West (mainly on the elk hunting side better with whitetails) when I was growing up due to inexperience with hunting the mountains, being that we moved from the mid-west. There weren't many resources available, that I knew of, like in today's tech world. We took our lumps and learned how to be semi-successful. Fast-forward a few years and I met my wife and her family.... My father-in-law and his brother & sons etc. had grown up in the same town their whole lives and are very competent hunters. In one year hunting with them I learned more than I'd learned in my whole "hunting career" up to that point. The year I started hunting with them, they decided to start hunting a new unit since the one they had hunted most of their lives was further from home and a lot of their old haunts weren't producing as many elk as the old days. There is no shortage of people in this unit and the pressure was/is always way higher than what I was used to but, year after year no matter the circumstances we fill most of our elk tags and pretty much all of our deer tags. The difference is that these guys had knowledge of the species they were chasing and had no problem out hiking/working the other hunters, which I learned the very first day I hunted with these guys. I was sucking air the whole time I followed my father-in-law up the mountains the first few days and then a shot would ring out right as we got to the "sweet spot" then it was cross country to go help quarter and pack. Next day repeat. My turn. Next season repeat. 1000'- 2000' vertical climb mostly off-trail in the dark to start was "normal" for a morning hunt and these guys would come back to the truck for lunch and a short siesta and do it again or find another pull-out if there was no sign. I was like WTF did I get myself into....
Fast forward 15 years from that first season with those guys who are now in their mid 60's and we still hunt the same unit and still prospect new spots and hunt old haunts and this season we tagged out on rifle elk in 3 days of hunting....
Not to brag on our hunting party or anything but, through all of this time I feel like the recipe I was missing is simple and I wish I had known at a younger age just what it took to be a successful elk hunter: Elk knowledge, relentless persistence, physical fitness (while not necessary it sure hurts those first few days if your'e packing an extra 20-30 lbs.)
So, in a round-about way to tie this into the social media topic, here are my thoughts:
--Since starting out elk and deer hunting the West, I have become more successful as my knowledge and persistence have increased and have been able to purchase/draw as many tags as I thought necessary to fill the freezer.
--A couple years ago I picked up archery elk hunting in addition to rifle elk hunting and haven't had a problem getting both tags. I archery hunt approx. one hour from my house and had bugling action almost daily in a heavily hunted area/unit and in 10 days or so of hunting never saw a person in the "hole" I hunt. I was at full draw 6 times. Only heard a couple "man" bugles and glassed a guy bugling out of his truck. I left my cameras up during rifle season and never had a single picture of a guy down in an area absolutely loaded with elk and pictures of the elk almost ever day...
--I choose not have social media. Not sure exactly why not but, I think it was be that I don't want to get in the drama and petty BS that I hear about when my wife and I go out with friends.
--I feel that Matt Rinella had some good point about the douche bags that, "Do it for the 'gram." We all can spot those guys from a mile away and I wouldn't follow/support anyone that sells-out their integrity or hunting values to the almighty dollar. On the other hand he was extremely polarizing towards new hunters in "his" spots and seemed a little butt-hurt to have to work harder than the next guy because he's a multi-generational hunter and is entitled to his piece of the pie.... BS! Last I checked this is America and public land is, well PUBLIC LAND!

From my one-sided point of view, I guess I'm just saying that for myself that hunting opportunity and tag allocation hasn't been a problem for me, 2 elk and 2 deer tags this year, and I have seen the pressure increase in the easy-to-hunt areas but, even in the most pressured units I can still get away from hunters and not see another hunter for days/weeks. This is why I choose to hunt where I do and I don't have a problem with a few more allies against the liberal/anti-hunting agenda. I don't feel like welcoming a few more like minded folks to share the woods with is a bad idea and if someday they find my area there is always another one to prospect new country to explore. There's simply not enough hunters/hunter prospects in the U.S. with the hardcore drive to find all the hard to get to honey holes/corners of our public lands! My children will have as many "un-touched" spots as I can find them to hunt when it's their turn and hopefully they can kick up a few easy ones for me when I hit 80 or so...
Just my 2 cents....

Last edited:

WKR
On the other hand he was extremely polarizing towards new hunters in "his" spots and seemed a little butt-hurt to have to work harder than the next guy because he's a multi-generational hunter and is entitled to his piece of the pie.... BS! Last I checked this is America and public land is, well PUBLIC LAND!
Yeah, this is where he lost me. I hope this is at least part of the reason why the article was taken down.

--I choose not have social media. Not sure exactly why not but, I think it was be that I don't want to get in the drama and petty BS that I hear about when my wife and I go out with friends.
-
Welcome to this social media site. All forms of social media, including this one, are what you make of them.

Welcome to this social media site. All forms of social media, including this one, are what you make of them.
Sorry Fartrell, I didn’t clarify…..I was referring to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram which is what my wife and I get to hear about, when we get a night out away from the kids with our friends. Just seems like a soap opera of he/she posted this and then I said this and so on…. Just not my thing… I’m sure it’s cool for some. A community like Rokslide with mostly like-minded guys/gals is more my style as opposed to the perfect family, best thing to hunting since the rifle, fill in the blank life that a lot of people portray out there and others try to mimic but, can’t achieve because it’s not real. There’s obviously a strong pull to it for most folks. Thanks for welcoming to this social media site!

I also don't see a problem with shooting animals and giving them away. It goes back to management. If the states are keeping track of all the animals that are killed and the number is what they expect, it doesn't matter who killed them or for what reason.
I may never understand this concept of hunting without the intent to consume the meat. Helping States meet herd management objectives may be the lamest excuse for trophy hunting out of them all.

tracker12

WKR
Great article and all so true. I started hunting in 1964 and those changes did occur. Growing up there was little open ground that was not available for me to run my beagles and shoot a few bunnies. Unfortunately nothing we do will change the trend. The industry has found a a way to sell products and they will keep at it. I have to admit I do brag about my kills and post an occasional photo. Maybe I will accept the challenge for 2022 or maybe not. But at least this article has me thinking.

ODB

WKR
I believe the article has yet again been re[moved]? I can’t find it anymore to share.

Are we that fragile a community that opposing ideas can’t exist?

It makes sense. Here in Texas, we don't have much public land anyway. Deer hunting is really the most popular hunting here, and deer leases have always been the norm, even when I was a kid. So paying to hunt is nothing new for us. But back in the day, if you killed any deer, it was cool and everyone was happy for you. Now it's all about "trophy" animals and antler size. I can't say much because I'm on a couple trophy leases that are not exactly cheap

But I think social media has played a huge role in causing the masses to get away from what hunting was originally, which was feeding our family. Now it's all about the trophy pics and who killed the biggest buck for most. And God forbid you post a picture of a 2 year old buck on social media these days. I saw a 13 year old kid get flamed just the other day for killing a young 8 point. It's just what we've become I guess. I have 2 granddaughters that I want to make memories with so I don't mind paying for places to hunt. At the same time it makes me a little sad that their hunting will be nothing like it was when I was a kid.

I believe the article has yet again been re[moved]? I can’t find it anymore to share.

Are we that fragile a community that opposing ideas can’t exist?
It’s an odd time we live in. People very angry at those with opposing ideas.
Like animal rights activists and hunters. Both care about the animals, but hate each other. Would folks rather have people that didn’t care at all. That just said, “ehh get rid of the animals and habitat, we need the room for humans.”

Matt clearly cares about hunting, as likely does the folks he called out. Yet folks can’t handle the differing view point.

ODB

WKR
The guys on Hunt talk have it pasted in a thread.

It’s also pasted Earlier here. But it’s not on free range American.

That’s some ironic shit when an article on “Free range American” is memory-holed. Nothing “free range” or “American” about that.

KurtR

WKR
I may never understand this concept of hunting without the intent to consume the meat. Helping States meet herd management objectives may be the lamest excuse for trophy hunting out of them all.
Do you hunt coyotes or wolves? I used to get 6 or so deer tags because I had relatives that were not able to go but still wanted meat. People ask for some ducks or geese I give them some to.

Harvesting animals for hide, or to prevent damage, ect… I can understand.
Harvesting animals for those that no longer can, subsistence, I can understand.

Its the harvesting animals for the video content and bragging rights, and then trying to figure out what to do with the meat you were legally obligated to keep that I can’t wrap my mind around.

It’s the reason for the act that’s the issue, not so much the act itself.

Do you hunt coyotes or wolves? I used to get 6 or so deer tags because I had relatives that were not able to go but still wanted meat. People ask for some ducks or geese I give them some to.
I see what your saying here, there are indeed scenarios where gifting meat is acceptable so I should have been more specific before launching such a broad statement.

Its the harvesting animals for the video content and bragging rights, and then trying to figure out what to do with the meat you were legally obligated to keep that I can’t wrap my mind around.
This is what I was mostly referring to.

So how many of you who are talking down on Aron and other “influencers” would actually say any of that to them if they were standing next to you? Better yet who’s going to put their money where their mouth is and not buy any of the products these influencers use since that’s how they get paid? No more kifaru. No more Sitka or First Lite. Anyone?
I have met and said it to the face of one of the main turkey hunting influencers (big deal in the east). And he got real pissy and defensive and made it clear he ain't changing!

It ain't like they are gonna beat you up. Lol

A literal cornucopia of things to make fun of.
Between the “world renown Escouter” and the “fiscal fitness coach”, there’s a lot of material here. I feel like we could have Rokslide stand up comedy night just off this post alone. In fact, maybe we should do that?

Anyway, I’ll kick things off:

“Thanks for posting pics of the various chapters of the Nickleback fan club”
Bit disappointed there weren't more flat brims

ODB

WKR

Eh, some forms of social media, meaning those with billions of dollars and the big brains to manipulate our minds against us actually make something of the user - not the other way around.

ODB

WKR
Just saw this in the intro to an article that says the US should follow the UK with banning 'trophy' imports:

“When the hunter is overcome with joy after the killing, and shares that emotion on Facebook, then surely this must be the joy of a diseased mind.”

—Jane Goodall

This is what a hell of a lot of people think.

There is a bit of irony in her statement though...when Jane Goodall was younger, she dated a professional hunter. Maybe it's the the facebook angle she dislikes so much now...

Status
Not open for further replies.