Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMB

WKR
Which brings up an excellent point. People say “Call out the charlatans”
But, you just explained how difficult that is, unless you have a huge following, which sucks because it’s hard to get a huge following as a “normal” person, lol not to mention anyone who would call someone out wouldn’t be the kind of person who enjoyed a large following…
Totally agree, it's almost impossible right now, but at the very least, we're actually having this conversation and there's people on this thread participating that do have large followings. Maybe they'll take this to heart, maybe not, but we're getting it in the open. Guys like Randy Newberg truly sound like they're introspective on the issue and thinking about it.

I've been disappointed by Aron Snyder's response, but not surprised as somebody who has given Josh Bowmar a platform in the past. Both podcasts he's done have sounded overly defensive instead of saying "yeah, you know what, I may have wrongly been called out, but there is a stench on the industry because of social media."

Which gets back to my original point, anyone with over 10k Instagram followers wants to get the dopamine hits from "yeah bro you're stacking em up, keep slammin big ones bro, sling merch bro, do a 10k giveaway and tag 3 friends in my comments and you'll get a branded Nalgene bro."

I don't have high hopes that anything will come from this thread, but I have enjoyed the fact we're like 40 pages in and having a meaningful, constructive conversation on the topic. We've even for the most part avoided the low hanging fruit like the "huntress" and "my dad is worth $100M and I got my Grand Slam at 14" segments of this topic (which are also cringe but not the problem.)

We don't have a clear path forward, but it's pretty obvious there's a segment of the hunting industry that's more interested in their lining their pockets to the detriment of the sport.

Rob5589

WKR
Part of the problem is that it's so hard to get any groundswell of support because everyone in the hunting industry pretty much hangs together, have business deals together, or don't want to rock the boat. Take Josh Bowmar, for example, probably the poster child for questionable hunting practices and amplifying them on social media. Despite the fact he's facing federal charges, he continues to break rules like moving deer between CWD states and hunt without his license, but people in the industry like Levi Morgan still work with him. Any critical comments on his posts are deleted and the user blocked, all while leaving up flowery messages of congrats from other guys in the industry.

Another example would be the guy from Muley Freak. He's already been convicted of some fairly serious allegations, enough to lose hunting privileges. Now he's back posting the same questionable content of shooting animals 750 yards away 10 feet away from the truck, a lot of times with less than ideal results. Scroll through his likes and comments and it's filled with other industry people.

These are just two blatant examples, but there's dozens and dozens more out there. I don't agree with everything Matt Rinella said, but guys, it shouldn't be that difficult to police our own, and expect accountability from those that sell and market products that we buy. The "good" people in the hunting industry could buy so much good will if they cut out that "bad" 10 or 20% profiting from hunting and blacklisted them such that they could never make a living in the outdoor space again.

If we don't self-police our own, anti-hunters surely will.
I hear ya. This may be a snowball that is unstoppable now.

woods89

WKR
Part of the problem is that it's so hard to get any groundswell of support because everyone in the hunting industry pretty much hangs together, have business deals together, or don't want to rock the boat. Take Josh Bowmar, for example, probably the poster child for questionable hunting practices and amplifying them on social media. Despite the fact he's facing federal charges, he continues to break rules like moving deer between CWD states and hunt without his license, but people in the industry like Levi Morgan still work with him. Any critical comments on his posts are deleted and the user blocked, all while leaving up flowery messages of congrats from other guys in the industry.

Another example would be the guy from Muley Freak. He's already been convicted of some fairly serious allegations, enough to lose hunting privileges. Now he's back posting the same questionable content of shooting animals 750 yards away 10 feet away from the truck, a lot of times with less than ideal results. Scroll through his likes and comments and it's filled with other industry people.

These are just two blatant examples, but there's dozens and dozens more out there. I don't agree with everything Matt Rinella said, but guys, it shouldn't be that difficult to police our own, and expect accountability from those that sell and market products that we buy. The "good" people in the hunting industry could buy so much good will if they cut out that "bad" 10 or 20% profiting from hunting and blacklisted them such that they could never make a living in the outdoor space again.

If we don't self-police our own, anti-hunters surely will.
Totally agree. If someone always deletes criticism and basks in all the mindless likes, it makes for the ultimate echo chamber.

OMB

WKR
So...just to be clear...north of 10,000 followers and im no long hunting for pure reasons ?

I gotta make sure I'm staying with in the guidelines of what you guys decide is acceptable

I could write a book on this topic
If you're hung up on an arbitrary but directionally accurate number, I would say you're picking fly crap out of the pepper of this conversation.

Elkangle

WKR
Which gets back to my original point, anyone with over 10k Instagram followers wants to get the dopamine hits from "yeah bro you're stacking em up, keep slammin big ones bro

If you're hung up on an arbitrary but directionally accurate number, I would say you're picking fly crap out of the pepper of this

It's your thoughts not mine

It would be nice if hunters would stop generalizing and pretending like they know more about others morals & beliefs just based off who is successful on social media or making a living in the hunting industry or just busted there ass to be a dedicated hunter

Alot of the "why" questuons are none of your guys business...its between the hunter and the game animals and his own development as a human being

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
If you're hung up on an arbitrary but directionally accurate number, I would say you're picking fly crap out of the pepper of this conversation.
Not sure I'd agree with that 10k number. There is a certain high ranking RS'er that is approaching 10k. I wouldn't label him as a grip and grinner.

OMB

WKR
It's your thoughts not mine

It would be nice if hunters would stop generalizing and pretending like they know more about others morals & beliefs just based off who is successful on social media or making a living in the hunting industry or just busted there ass to be a dedicated hunter

Alot of the "why" questuons are none of your guys business...its between the hunter and the game animals and his own development as a human being
If's it between the hunter and the game animals and his own development, why does it need to be broadcast to the world publicly?

I think the biggest issue is the "we have to stop generalizing, we can't criticize anyone hunting ever, we're all in this together guys."

No, we're literally not all in this together. There are people making a profit that only care about their follower count and sales conversions that could care less about the resource, and blindly defending them because "we're all in this together" is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

OMB

WKR
Not sure I'd agree with that 10k number. There is a certain high ranking RS'er that is approaching 10k. I wouldn't label him as a grip and grinner.
make it 2k or 100k, it's an arbitrary number used for this conversation.

Elkangle

WKR
That’s only true until it’s broadcast to the world. At that point it becomes everyone’s business.

I respectfully disagree...a grip and grin is just that...nothing more and nothing less...you can't see what's behind the photo

Just like a summit photo on a mountain

My boss is an anti hunter. He believes that most hunters hunt because it’s all about killing stuff to them. Browsing some of the pages on social media, it’s hard to convince him otherwise. Although he did tell me he has a begrudging respect for people who hunt for meat.

I grew up in an environment where I was taught by people who had reached the point that it wasn’t about numbers or really even size. It was about other stuff. So it’s a little disappointing to see it portrayed in a way that would lead someone to think it was something different.

You can’t do anything about the technology side of this. No matter how much we might want to go back to the way it was 30 years ago when people had to work harder to figure it out.

Yoder

WKR
I haven't seen an increase in hunters where I live. I really think the mid west and western states have gotten the brunt of it. Some of the article just sounds like sour grapes. He's angry he doesn't have public land to himself and can't afford to hunt private. I totally understand. It sucks when someone is in your spot. The idea of people hunting for likes and not for meat also is vomit inducing. I really think its something that will burn out pretty quickly. Hunting takes a lot of work and is extremely uncomfortable. We live in a society that doesn't want to work and never wants to be uncomfortable.

The content that is pushed out by those on social media is because that is what the people watching want to see. You guys are barking up the wrong tree. It is those subscribers/watchers that are choosing the content. The people providing the content are just giving them what they want.

I respectfully disagree...a grip and grin is just that...nothing more and nothing less...you can't see what's behind the photo

Just like a summit photo on a mountain
You don't hear yourself?
"It's between me and the animal...."
.... And all my followers. You literally CANNOT expect people to take you seriously when you preach about privacy "it's not your business" while showing the world your exploits.

Yeah, you cannot see behind the photo. So why post it? Or why not provide context?
Why not tell people you're getting paid (or trying to get paid)
The more I hear, the more I'm disappointed.

Aron said on that wilderness locals podcast he puts animals up "for validity" because apparently owning a backpack company doesn't qualify him to give advice unless he kills and posts online.... Really?

The power of the internet is a double edged sword. I don’t do IG or Snapchat.

I think it’s great that I have a place where I can put out a request for a guide lid or pockets in a discontinued fabric and have six guys that reply as sources within hours. I enjoy the unabridged format of forums that allows longer hunt recaps with unlimited pictures. It’s better entertainment than magazine articles. And I’ve become “friends” with some guys that have extended offers of access, and sharing hunts.

But... that same power to entertain and find specific gear also allows douchebags to connect, scammers to seek targets and cyber sleuths to dox areas. I’ve cringed and felt the aggravation of someone posting information highlighting areas that I hunt.

I’ve been disappointed seeing videos of people taking what I consider to be unethical shots, distasteful pictures or advocating unethical behavior.

I’ve also seen lying, unethical “hunters” exposed by the internet. Anyone remember Rowdy Dowdy and his “Bear Hunt”? And been made aware of “Celebrities” who’ve committed egregious game violations.

I don’t “follow” “celebrity hunters”. I question product endorsements or recommendations. I use social media for entertainment and locating specific gear. I disregard most of it, questioning motivation... whether it’s fantastical hunting claims, theories about shape shifting lizard people controlling the government, chem trails or whatever.

I just do my thing. I don’t post identified locations. I don’t support “celebrity hunters”.

I think that the genie is out of the bottle. People are going to do what they’re going to do. Calling them out will have impact on only a small minority. Most will simply feed on the attention and double down, whether it’s shooting German Shepherds thinking they’re wolves or warning that spoons will stick to your magnetized body post vaccination.

They just want/need the engagement. I respectfully suggest you resist giving it to them.

Elkangle

WKR
Why does anybody owe you the context again ? And if there is no context your just free to assume the worst?

Best part is many of these folks that your all complaining about provide plenty of context..above and beyond what they "owe" you and they still get shit on

You guys will never be satisfied

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.