Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a guy who has no instagram, twitter or any of that stuff, I see most social media influencers as fake. However, many will exclude places like Rokslide or Bowsite when poo pooing social media. It most certainly is social media, but to me it is different. I am not your friend on Rokslide because my kid plays basketball with yours or we work together. I probably consider you an online friend because we shared PMs about a backpack or broadheads or whatever. Call me whatever you like but I still like to post my pics on these hunting forums and I love to see the pics of others. Matt Rinella may think this is bad, but I don't care. I think that while portions of Matt's diatribe were true, he came off looking like a pestilent little child who is crying because he no longer gets his way. If he could still have "his spots" and "his tags" he would be happy and wouldn't care what anyone else did. It is like the Uncle Rico of public land. Reminiscing about the good old days all the while everyone else knows that good old days are gone.

OR Archer

WKR
Be honest, how many Instagram followers do you have and how many grip and grins did you post from this season?

:p
Well there’s 977 on my Instagram and I’ve posted zero grip and grins since last August. So if you’re trying to equate me to some influencer your assumption is not even close.

Mtnboy

WKR
$$ on Aron you ever see that photo of him long before he got slender can you say Hulk👊 Dude has some power I’m guessing
Dude also isn't afraid to talk about how tough he is....typically the ones to be afraid of are the quiet ones. Just sayin'.

We were doing so good too, something tells me time is short on this thread 🤣

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
Aron dosen't need alpacas.

Matts not from Detroit, more like muskegon.

It would be like khabib nurmagomedov vs. wheres waldo.

These vs comments are silly

rwbowser

FNG
As much as I can’t stand social media, I like this guy even less. Sorry everyone can’t be a selfless blue collar hero like you, pining for the days when you had your favorite hobby all to your self so you could do it cheaply and easily. I agree that social media is a cancer but anyone bemoaning more people enjoying what they also enjoy is just an insufferable hypocrite.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
Ive read this whole thread. I see Matt's perspective, he has a fancy way with words and I dont agree with some of his views.

I'm 43yrs old and grew up in michigan with shitty wood goat (whitetail) hunting and a dream of being able to work hard, grow in life and one day be able to fuffill my dreams.

Now I'm in a point in my life that I can afford to come out west for a week of two every year and chase those dreams. I spend my hard earned money on an outfitter, food, fuel, tags, USA made equipment, ect, ect, ect.

What I read from his article, and the message from his "blood origins" podcast interview was.....

"i was here first, dont come, I dont like compitition, this isnt fair, its not like it used to be, whine, cry, gypsy tears...

If I were Steve, I'd be beyond super pissed.

Come on Matt, man up, you have had it pretty damn easy compared to the hundreds of hours of overtime I work to afford to be able to do something I enjoy too, for a few weeks a year while pumping thounds of dollars into your economy, in which you are fortunate enough to live in everyday. Id live in Montana if I could afford too, but I dont have $400k for a crackerbox shack in a no-name town 50mi from a gas station where my wife has to home school kids and home cook three square meals a day and beat the rugs with a straw wisp and keep the coyotes and lions out of the chicken coup.

I couldnt afford to give a shit about "grip & grins" if I had to finance it. Its not ruining hunting out west or anywhere. The problems you are worried about are called inflation, population growth, and limited resources.

Taxation is just a "legal" form of theft. The game and fish dept. of any state tax the shit out of me for an out of state tag. OTC or draw. Its $500-$700 just to get started, and if you want a preferance point, well thats $100 or so. Hey, okay, I dont live there so I will pony up. Thats the deal, those are the rules. I dont bitch or complain or make a podcast or write an article on how I'm a middle class american who works and saves and hunting out west should be an affordable asset to all americans who want to do it. Id bet to say that about 90% of the people on rokslide are middle class, and 10% who think they know a bunch of shit they dont. The memebrs here do their due dillegence and try to get a tag, time off of work, and be able to afford to go.

Lets change my tone a little bit,

I like Steve, Janis, Cal, and the crew at Meateater and enjoy their content. Its well put and well written. I enjoy the content and listen to all of their podcasts. Its great entertainment. I will continue to enjoy their show.

I DO NOT and WILL NOT buy XD, FHF, Phelps, BCO or Meateater merch or equipment because it is owned by the cherenin group. And its a Damn fact that they are againt the 2nd amendment.

It unfortunate that Steve Rinella has his XD equipmpent made in ASIA, as well as Remmy and Cam haynes sponsered by UA thats made in ASIA. And KUIU and Sitka made in ASIA and china.

How about these "Star hunters" go over to ASIA and kill some animals? Hunt China, or Vietnam or Tiawan or Shri-lanka? THey can make an episode about how the kid that made the $500 coat they are wearing is now guiding them on safari for $3/day.

I agree with MAtts point that some of these guys are not transarent on the tags they get. The costs of some of their hunts are simply out of the middle classes reach unless we win the lotto.

Joe Rogan admits that he has "**** you money", and that if you have **** you money and dont say "**** you", than whats the point of having the **** you money, "your wasting it"

I totally get why Joe shoots 2 or 3 high dollar tag bulls a year, because he can. And, you would to if you could afford it. I cant hold that against him because he is rich.

Lots of rich guys **** me over every day.. Their called politicians.

-Off the soap box now.

Come on Matt, man up, you have had it pretty damn easy compared to the hundreds of hours of overtime I work to afford to be able to do something I enjoy too, for a few weeks a year while pumping thounds of dollars into your economy, in which you are fortunate enough to live in everyday. Id live in Montana if I could afford too, but I dont have $400k for a crackerbox shack in a no-name town 50mi from a gas station where my wife has to home school kids and home cook three square meals a day and beat the rugs with a straw wisp and keep the coyotes and lions out of the chicken coup.

Matt is probably close to your age, and also from Michigan. You’ve made ~25 years of decisions that led to where you are now. If living and hunting out west were at the top of your priorities, you’d be there like he is. Not still in Michigan, saying he has it easy compared to you.

Yoder

WKR
Is it the hunters fault there are too many hunters and not enough animals? Sounds like a State management problem. If there really are too many hunters they should stop issuing OTC tags and limit non residents. I also don't see a problem with shooting animals and giving them away. It goes back to management. If the states are keeping track of all the animals that are killed and the number is what they expect, it doesn't matter who killed them or for what reason. I have mixed feelings about all the Youtube hunters out there. I enjoy watching some of it but also wonder about some of their motives. Most of them aren't nearly as bad as the shows on the Outdoor channel. The majority of them are just infomercials to sell stuff and talking about how many inches a buck is. I think social media is a necessary evil to keep hunting alive. If it wasn't for that there is a good chance it would die out in a generation or two.

Finch

WKR
the states are keeping track of all the animals that are killed and the number is what they expect,

This statement reminds me of something. I've hunted CO a few times now and was always curious as to why there is no mandatory check in procedure. Being from a place where we are required to check every big game animal, it is just intriguing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.