Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanT26

WKR
With a surprising amount of hypocrisy Randy Newberg and Cory Jacobson on their latest podcast discuss how people they take to their secret spots aren’t supposed to return to them and if they do, they need to call and let them know they’re returning to the sacred area. And for the love of God don’t bring anyone with them.
It appears they have no problem introducing and recruiting anyone they can, they just don’t want them in their spots. Just go ruin someone else’s spot. Thanks Corey and Randy!

Randle

WKR
honest question cause i only hunt Idaho .Somewhere in this thread it was stated Aron said he shoots 75-100 animals a year . Is that truly possible, Maybe if you count, timber tigers, limb chickens , and rock rats?

wmr89

WKR
honest question cause i only hunt Idaho .Somewhere in this thread it was stated Aron said he shoots 75-100 animals a year . Is that truly possible, Maybe if you count, timber tigers, limb chickens , and rock rats?
If I remember correctly a huge chuck of that number is whitetail does and cull bucks on private land mostly in the southern US.

RMM

WKR
I know he piles up animals down in TX, between javelina, whitetails, muleys and aoudad, I would bet that makes up a significant portion

He said it himself on this podcast in case anyone was wondering. And all the auodad gets fed to dogs...

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
With a surprising amount of hypocrisy Randy Newberg and Cory Jacobson on their latest podcast discuss how people they take to their secret spots aren’t supposed to return to them and if they do, they need to call and let them know they’re returning to the sacred area. And for the love of God don’t bring anyone with them.
It appears they have no problem introducing and recruiting anyone they can, they just don’t want them in their spots. Just go ruin someone else’s spot. Thanks Corey and Randy!

It's been that way out here since I was a kid. You don't go back to a friends spot unless you're with him or he says it's ok.

PMcGee

WKR
Nope, not even close. Read the article. He spends two paragraphs out of about 30 on the crowding topic. You want to make it about that point because there is no rebuttal to the rest of it.

Classic straw man stuff.

Sorry about the last response.
I’ll start by saying I agree with some of what Matt is saying but a lot of it he is sensationalizing. He starts by saying we hunt for Horns hide meat and personal satisfaction then 2 paragraphs later says he only hunts for meat. He says influencers don’t hunt public land but yet says they’re blowing up specific spots on public land. He says guys are out shooting 3 elk a year and taking opportunity from other hunters. I would like to see examples of people who are doing this for social media(people who didn’t do it before). Most of the people doing this are on ranches so they aren’t taking an opportunity from your average joe. I agree with him on the pretending you shot it on public. While some people don’t talk about wounded animals many do. I still don’t buy the grip n grin is hurting hunting. As I said in another post I’ve had many friends who looked at my pictures and gain more respect for hunting including a vegan who has talked about going on a hunt to experience it. I’d like to see where he got his number of 25% or greater are only hunting and taking pictures for SM. If he could give examples I’d be more inclined to listen.
34cda03a88ee30e50c8400470f8fef21.jpg

4-6 of his points at the end of his article are about lack of opportunity which was my point it’s his main argument. Taking the grip n grin from social media is going to do very little to change any of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Elkangle

WKR
For sure, Aron seems like a solid dude, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around killing that many animals a year just to do it

That's because your not in those regions...the animals have to get culled one way or another

It's disease, wolves, gov killers or guys like Snyder...pick your poison

Sorry about the last response.
I’ll start by saying I agree with some of what Matt is saying but a lot of it he is sensationalizing. He starts by saying we hunt for Horns hide meat and personal satisfaction then 2 paragraphs later says he only hunts for meat. He says influencers don’t hunt public land but yet says they’re blowing up specific spots on public land. He says guys are out shooting 3 elk a year and taking opportunity from other hunters. I would like to see examples of people who are doing this for social media(people who didn’t do it before). Most of the people doing this are on ranches so they aren’t taking an opportunity from your average joe. I agree with him on the pretending you shot it on public. While some people don’t talk about wounded animals many do. I still don’t buy the grip n grin is hurting hunting. As I said in another post I’ve had many friends who looked at my pictures and gain more respect for hunting including a vegan who has talked about going on a hunt to experience it. I’d like to see where he got his number of 25% or greater are only hunting and taking pictures for SM. If he could give examples I’d be more inclined to listen.
34cda03a88ee30e50c8400470f8fef21.jpg

4-6 of his points at the end of his article are about lack of opportunity which was my point it’s his main argument. Taking the grip n grin from social media is going to do very little to change any of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
All good. I got a little spanking from the mods on my last one as well 😂. Got in too deep, sorry.

Fair enough. He put a lot of his opinions into that article and definitely not 100% of them hold water. Some of them are selfish opinions like we all have, he just wrote them down.

RMM

WKR
That's because your not in those regions...the animals have to get culled one way or another

It's disease, wolves, gov killers or guys like Snyder...pick your poison
So the aoudad and mule deer populations in texas are so high they need culled? Also how many places that have "too many deer" that hire govt shooters, dont allow hunting? I know of a few, which by the way, are in my region.

Also, a cull hunt in Texas is vastly different from a cull hunt in most other places. Managing for trophy quality vs population control are two completely different things.

RyanT26

WKR
It's been that way out here since I was a kid. You don't go back to a friends spot unless you're with him or he says it's ok.

Are those friends of yours telling everyone they need to get out and go hunting though?
Are those friends of yours on their YouTube, Instagram, and media platforms going on and on about the need for hunter recruitment and how hunting is a dying sport?
It’s hard to have it both ways. You can’t shout the 3R’s from the mountain tops then complain about people being in your spot. Hypocrite is the word I’m looking for. He wants more people in the field, he wants more people buying tags, great take them with you show them your spot and then welcome them back every year so they have a place to hunt.

Don’t let your dog come crap in my yard and then tell me how lucky I am that he came over and fertilized it for me.

Last edited:

Elkangle

WKR
Also how many places that have "too many deer" that hire govt shooters, dont allow hunting?
Is Snyder not a hunter ?

I mean you can keep reaching for ways to hate on him for it but the critters gotta die...you clearly don't do it...and that's fine...but someone needs to

RMM

WKR
Is Snyder not a hunter ?

I mean you can keep reaching for ways to hate on him for it but the critters gotta die...you clearly don't do it...and that's fine...but someone needs to
Point out where I hated on him. I wouldnt classify stating "I have a hard time wrapping my head around someone killing that many animals just to kill" as hating.

Instead of cherry picking statements from my quote, try to respond to the whole thing. I'll ask again because maybe you missed it in my last post, Is texas so overrun with aoudad and mule deer that they NEED to cull them? Refer back to my last post about "culling" in Texas.

ODB

WKR
Is Snyder not a hunter ?

I pick a lot of crabgrass, spray for aphids, spiders, and other bugs, and have known to get rid of a mouse or two... but I have never talked about it, posted on instagram about it, or hiked up my pants while saying, "Welp, it's gotta be done, otherwise they'll take over the whole damn place."

I talked with a friend in Kenya about baboon control over there. It can get to be quite a nasty and bloody business. But at the end of the day, they don't talk about, take pictures of it, or even keep track of how many they have to kill. Most of them just want to go home, take a shower to get the stink off of them, and have a scotch to try to turn their thoughts.

I think there is a line between having to do something and wanting to do it.

I pick a lot of crabgrass, spray for aphids, spiders, and other bugs, and have known to get rid of a mouse or two... but I have never talked about it, posted on instagram about it, or hiked up my pants while saying, "Welp, it's gotta be done, otherwise they'll take over the whole damn place."

I talked with a friend in Kenya about baboon control over there. It can get to be quite a nasty and bloody business. But at the end of the day, they don't talk about, take pictures of it, or even keep track of how many they have to kill. Most of them just want to go home, take a shower to get the stink off of them, and have a scotch to try to turn their thoughts.

I think there is a line between having to do something and wanting to do it.
Not to mention if you throw a couple of those critters in a backpack, snap a pic, and throw it up in instagram with 12 sponsor hashtags it sells a few more backpacks. Boy I really appreciate snyder out there doing all that population management for all us regular folks who just fill one or two tags a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.