Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtbag

WKR
Being able to hunt multiple states helps spread people out. If you have to put all your chips in one basket I promise there will be years you don't hunt at all, and even multiple years in succession.

Colorado sees a giant influx of nonresident elk hunters and it has negatively impacted my experiences, I do not want to rob them entirely of the chance to experience it though.

but back to the topic at hand I would rather the born and raised guys didn't spend the whole month of September exploiting it for monetary gain.

OP

3forks

WKR
I don't think it has as much to do with not wanting anyone to experience the hunt, it's more about the resource cannot sustain the explosion in numbers that want to hunt.

If the resource cannot sustain the ever increasing demand then what other option do you have other than reducing the opportunities (tags)?
I don’t disagree with anything you‘ve pointed out.

My reply was in regards to Wapitibob and his post.

Rob5589

WKR
agreed, I dont like those threads either, but lets put it into perspective, theres 53K members here, The Hunting Public(notorious spot burners) has 350K on instagram. granted non-members could find that thread via google, but probably not 300K people.
I Googled "Wyoming region b" and this was the result,
Screenshot_20211222-105420.png

Number 3 result. That's the problem with posting such details.

Dirtbag

WKR

Like I said, I dont like it either and I'm not defending the thread, but even it being a top google hit isn't the same as putting it in front of 350K people on Instagram that they check multiple times a day. it also isn't as likely to be found by nonhunters who may get the wrong perception. just my opinion.

ndayton

WKR
Like I said, I dont like it either and I'm not defending the thread, but even it being a top google hit isn't the same as putting it in front of 350K people on Instagram that they check multiple times a day. it also isn't as likely to be found by nonhunters who may get the wrong perception. just my opinion.
Right. Until some influencer puts out a Wyoming region b deer hunt video or posts about it. Then you will see the google searches jump leading to this forum which also contributes to the problem as well.

It’s definitely the heart of his argument. Has been for awhile now he just try’s to add other BS to it but always circles back to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nope, not even close. Read the article. He spends two paragraphs out of about 30 on the crowding topic. You want to make it about that point because there is no rebuttal to the rest of it.

Classic straw man stuff.

Last edited:

Dirtbag

WKR
Right. Until some influencer puts out a Wyoming region b deer hunt video or posts about it. Then you will see the google searches jump leading to this forum which also contributes to the problem as well.
Agreed 100%. Just stating that instagram/youtube and a niche site like rokslide aren't the same. Spot burning isn't good regardless.

Mtnboy

WKR
View attachment 359288

That doesn't mean that's what would happen if "Joe Random" Googles it though. Google curates your results based on your web history.

*Disclaimer: I HATE threads like that and usually will make a smart ass comment on them when I see them. I was just trying to share some general web knowledge.

ODB

WKR
That doesn't mean that's what would happen if "Joe Random" Googles it though. Google curates your results based on your web history.

*Disclaimer: I HATE threads like that and usually will make a smart ass comment on them when I see them. I was just trying to share some general web knowledge.

Therein lies the rub …. Social media / Google (via the AI algorithm) is actively seeking people to put content in front of. It is a force-multiplier to any number of organic followers. It can literally serve people content based on the shapes found within an image without knowing exactly what the image is.

It’s both amazing and terrifying.

I'll keep it civil because I want this thread to stay open. I suggest you do the same. Edited my original comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

KurtR

WKR
Maybe we should just get rid of Non Resident tags altogether?

Hunt the state you live in, that'd curb a lot of the overcrowding problems I see out West. That'd also stop "influencers" from shooting so much stuff that their wives have to give it away to Real Estate clients.....
not a bad idea i guess. I can hunt 4 deer archery and then 6 plus rifle tags could get a double tag rifle antelope and archery antelope. I will kill a whole bunch of ducks,geese, pheasants and grouse. Shoot some coyotes and prairie dogs if there is time. Maybe a couple turkeys. Run hunt tests with the dog spring till fall. If time allows fish on lake oahe and pile up some walleyes . Maybe get lucky and draw an elk, bighorn or goat tag. Really get crazy and get deer tags on both standing rock or cheyenne river reservation.

On second thought we will take those nr dollars that pheasant hunting brings in. All 121000 thousand of those people. They generate alot of habitat for us.

S.Clancy

WKR
Make sure to go buy some merch, use a promo code, or sign up for the paywall of your favorite influencer so they can keep getting paid to do things you scrimp and save for at a job with a tangible product
No doubt. No one out there arguing what good medicine, engineering, plumbing, etc. are doing for the world....

OP

3forks

WKR
not a bad idea i guess. I can hunt 4 deer archery and then 6 plus rifle tags could get a double tag rifle antelope and archery antelope. I will kill a whole bunch of ducks,geese, pheasants and grouse. Shoot some coyotes and prairie dogs if there is time. Maybe a couple turkeys. Run hunt tests with the dog spring till fall. If time allows fish on lake oahe and pile up some walleyes . Maybe get lucky and draw an elk, bighorn or goat tag. Really get crazy and get deer tags on both standing rock or cheyenne river reservation.

On second thought we will take those nr dollars that pheasant hunting brings in. All 121000 thousand of those people. They generate alot of habitat for us.
I understand your point, but unfortunately you can’t pen raise elk and deer to release like SD does for pheasants.

KurtR

WKR
I understand your point, but unfortunately you can’t pen raise elk and deer to release like SD does for pheasants.
The state of South Dakota does not release birds. Preserves have to release so many depending on how many they take. Of those released birds little to non live to see the next year they are dumb like walk up to them real slow and jump on them dumb. Hawks and coyotes eat really well.

ndayton

WKR
I mean the writings on the wall. A lot of states are in discussion or already have started limiting opportunities for non residents. To me if you are an eastern hunter supporting more hunters you really are shooting yourself in the foot.
If all states went to resident hunting only I would still be able to hunt elk deer and bear every year. So yeah full steam ahead with R3, cant wait for the new YouTube hunting videos "Learn how to hunt Montana every 10 years!" "Best state for once in a life time doe tag!"

OP

3forks

WKR
The state of South Dakota does not release birds. Preserves have to release so many depending on how many they take. Of those released birds little to non live to see the next year they are dumb like walk up to them real slow and jump on them dumb. Hawks and coyotes eat really well.
You’re right.

The State doesn’t release birds, but they do require preserves to release birds and I should have made that clearer.

It’s not just wild bird hunters who travel to SD to hunt pheasants, and to ensure there are enough birds to keep preserve hunters coming back, pheasants are released.

Most of those guys don’t care if they have to kick a bird to flush it, they just want something to shoot.

WCB

WKR
I mean the writings on the wall. A lot of states are in discussion or already have started limiting opportunities for non residents. To me if you are an eastern hunter supporting more hunters you really are shooting yourself in the foot.
If all states went to resident hunting only I would still be able to hunt elk deer and bear every year. So yeah full steam ahead with R3, cant wait for the new YouTube hunting videos "Learn how to hunt Montana every 10 years!" "Best state for once in a life time doe tag!"
Resident only would mean bankrupt G&F less enforcement and Residents B!tch!ng even more about spending $100 for all their tags.

Status
Not open for further replies.