Hunt Quietly - Matt Rinella's new website and podcast

KurtR

WKR
I work outdoors and the woods have never been more crowded. I can say unequivocally that more people equals more resource damage.

Matt Rinella is right. When he's getting flak it's because he's over the target.
Is it just hunters or do other groups make up most of the use?

def90

WKR
The last two years I've seen recreational campers and hikers in places I've never seen them before. Nothing like a couple and their two dogs going right through the basin that you are hunting elk in.

Covid, it got people into camping and hunting on a scale not witnessed since the 50’s. It drove housing/land prices up with all the city dwellers wanting to “homestead”. It’s all trendy. My guess, 1/3 will quit in the next year or so as the “new” wears off, 1/3 will go on occasion from here on out and the remainder will stick with it. Not sure what the future looks like, but it could use a little less of everything.

KurtR

WKR
The last two years I've seen recreational campers and hikers in places I've never seen them before. Nothing like a couple and their two dogs going right through the basin that you are hunting elk in.
So limiting hunting on social media fixes that how?

def90

WKR
So limiting hunting on social media fixes that how?
It doesn't..

Matt's message whatever it is isn't going to stop the flow of regular people. National and state parks around here now require reservations, trailheads now require that you carpool or park at a lot and ride a bus to the trailhead, people are finding ways to easily get further in to the woods than ever before. The days of finding solitude in the mountains are long gone.

This is Matt Rinella. I’m very interested in respectfully discussing my stance with people that disagree with me on the podcast. I sincerely invite people that struggle with my perspective to reach out to me at [email protected]. One clarification. The only component of hunting social media I oppose is showing dead and dying animals, and I’ve been consistent on that, so I am resistant to the notion that my platform is hypocritical.

Nice to hear from you, Matt.

I respect your principles and integrity, and I fully agree that those who are cynically exploiting our hunting traditions are engaged in a very short-sighted tactic that will inevitably backfire for everyone else.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This is Matt Rinella. I’m very interested in respectfully discussing my stance with people that disagree with me on the podcast. I sincerely invite people that struggle with my perspective to reach out to me at [email protected]. One clarification. The only component of hunting social media I oppose is showing dead and dying animals, and I’ve been consistent on that, so I am resistant to the notion that my platform is hypocritical.
Welcome back Matt

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Here’s my impression of Matt Rinella. “Help me fight the commercialization of hunting by buying my t shirts and hats”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s stated that he sells his merch at cost and also encourages people to make their own copying him. So your point is invalid. Give the podcast a listen first next time.

woods89

WKR
Glad you're here discussing this stuff. I may not agree with absolutely everything you put out but we need to be talking about some of these consequences. Your material has spurred a lot of thinking on my part and changed how I use online platforms and content.

ODB

WKR
Does the pictures of dead animals just for big game or are birds included?

Yes.

The test here is this: what do you gain by showing random people you don’t know on social media images of dead animals? If the response is “but I use social media to share among friends,” then why not make your account private so the images aren’t public?

It starts to get to the root of why we do what we do - like I said up the thread. There is a perspective that it’s not my right to criticize the intentions of another person, but then…

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

KurtR

WKR
Yes.

The test here is this: what do you gain by showing random people you don’t know on social media images of dead animals? If the response is “but I use social media to share among friends,” then why not make your account private so the images aren’t public?

It starts to get to the root of why we do what we do - like I said up the thread. There is a perspective that it’s not my right to criticize the intentions of another person, but then…

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

My accounts are private so I’m still good to share picks of my dog with the geese he got? Social media has taken my dog training to a level I never knew and have met and got invitations to train with people I would have never met.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with MR. I have no problem taking pics of my harvest. However, I share them with close friends and family only. No social media post. I don't care what anti-hunters think but I have the presence of mind not to add TNT to their fire. I do my part by portraying ethics.

I don't even know why this is an issue amongst hunters. Is there anything wrong with putting your properly secured harvest in the back of the truck, tailgate down, for all to see? OR taking pics of your harvest after a challenging back country hunt in MT or WY? IMO no but those who love wildlife will find everything wrong with it. One pic of that truck can reach thousands within hours only reinforcing their hatred. Once their mind is set you're not going to change their mindset with a quick stroke of the pen or a friendly debate. But....you will absolutely add fuel to their fire which doesn't benefit us as a group.

You never know who you're going to piss off. Maybe that person has some political pull and now they think it's a great idea to bring new legislation to the table against US as a GROUP.

I look at the whole picture and how my decisions impact all of US not just ME. No I in team. BUT as Kobe Bryant said there is a ME in team MF. Depends on what side you're on. Do you care about me/myself/I or the group at large. Personally, I don't need the dopamine rush from thousands of likes for a post/pic. I'll just keeping portraying me/us in a positive light. I hunt for the meat. Spending time with family in the woods and making memories are a huge bonus. My kids talk about their hunting trips OFTEN. Great memories. Great teaching moments. Great father/son and father/daughter bonding. Life lessons. Life skills.

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on where you are. I will say anecdotally that where I'm at the Cabela's crowd seems to leave much more of a footprint than the REI crowd if that makes sense. As others have said, most folks trying to get more people in the woods have a financial stake in it (that doesn't make them bad people of course). There are exceptions.

TSAMP

WKR
I first watched Matt's presentation at Boone and Crockett. I thought his arguments were conveyed better there. With a slight personal bias against Shockey, I still feel he did come out of that discussion seeming more reasonable and obviously more articulate. Which for anyone who knows Jim thats no suprise. Jim had solid counterpoints to many of Matt's gripes. It's worth the listen if you find either of these two gentlemen interesting.

Yoder

WKR
Ok, let me get this straight. The guy bitching about people profiting off of hunting, is now profiting off of hunting.