Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

svivian

WKR
@Mattrinella I am hoping you can answer these questions and thoughts.... I read your article a few times

On page one you reference a graph you created. It shows License holders hovering around 15million which is consistent with several other sources I have researched since 1980. You also reference that total US population has also increased by 1/3 which is also consistent with what can be found on the US Census. The interesting part of your graph is Licenses Tags and permits has increased significantly.

With that said, would it be more accurate of a statement that opportunity for those already hunting has increased and needs to be slowed down? That people don't need to hunt multiple states or species in a single year? I guess I'm asking because your graph is contradictory to your argument that there are more hunters because of social media. The numbers of hunters have not changed but their ability to hunt new areas have increased. That unfortunately is the weakest part of your argument, it fogs your message.

Also you state that only non hunters need 101- level how to content and that social media is only aimed at non hunters. I would question the years of experience that are on this online forum alone. If that statement was true there would be no need for a website like this for experienced hunters. I am certainly not new and I am still using this as a resource.

Why in your argument are you not holding any responsibility towards the agencies issuing the tags? Arizona is a perfect example with their OTC Mule deer tags or Colorado with OTC rifle tags for elk. If you make a statement that states like Utah, New Mexico, or even Montana are being crowded by too many hunters would that not imply that the state has issued too many tags?

Another question

How will lowering the hunting population increase our chances of regulation and laws effecting our ability to hunt? Or how about major changes like introducing Wolves to Colorado.... We already lost that battle and that included hunters and ranchers working together.

What's your solution to that? For the short term sure, lowering hunters and pressure is great for you and us for the time being but what about your kids or grandkids? What are they supposed to do? Where is your voice in that? How powerful are we without those like Randy Newberg or your Brother spreading and voicing concern and change? There may be nonhunters who just enjoy the content created who never want to try it. And they may help us in a time where we need every vote.

I do not have social media nor participate other than here. What I can tell you that has not been brought up is people are lazy. I have lots of friends, and some who are on here, that use social media. They post pics because its simply easier then sending out a 100 text messages. How do I know this, I have missed out on birthdays and even weddings because they didn't send out actual invitations. They used Facebook to spread to word to those who were invited. So why would anyone be surprised someone would post a pic of a successful harvest?

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
That doesn't mean that's what would happen if "Joe Random" Googles it though. Google curates your results based on your web history.

*Disclaimer: I HATE threads like that and usually will make a smart ass comment on them when I see them. I was just trying to share some general web knowledge.
No worries. Actually searched on the wifes phone just to see; same result. Unless she is secretly on RS, then I'm in deep doo doo lol

KurtR

WKR
You’re right.

The State doesn’t release birds, but they do require preserves to release birds and I should have made that clearer.

It’s not just wild bird hunters who travel to SD to hunt pheasants, and to ensure there are enough birds to keep preserve hunters coming back, pheasants are released.

Most of those guys don’t care if they have to kick a bird to flush it, they just want something to shoot.
The license still costs the same and the habitat is still there for all the other animals.

So whats the end game here? What do you want?

KurtR

WKR
Resident only would mean bankrupt G&F less enforcement and Residents B!tch!ng even more about spending $100 for all their tags.
Why not just make the resident tags an even 1000.00 and nr 10000.00 would be alot less people at the trail head.(dripping with sarcasm)

Rob5589

WKR
Why not just make the resident tags an even 1000.00 and nr 10000.00 would be alot less people at the trail head.(dripping with sarcasm)
Sarcasm, but not out of the question. 10 years from now, you may be not too far off. The NR vs resident and over crowding is coming to a head

Juneau07

FNG
This has been quite the interesting read. I live in a region of Alaska that doesn’t have the same issues as you fellas in the lower 48… or at least to the same extent. Looking from the outside in, it’s been interesting that I’ve only seen one person admit to being influenced to start hunting because of social media…. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone say or admit they’ve driven to a zone to hunt just because they watched a show on YouTube or Netflix.

ndayton

WKR
Resident only would mean bankrupt G&F less enforcement and Residents B!tch!ng even more about spending $100 for all their tags.
Isnt that already happening? Obviously states wont go to resident only but in Oregon with a 5% tag allocation for non res I doubt it would change much here.
Now Wyoming that could see some major revenue lost but my guess is residents would pay more if it meant better hunting with more tags for them.

OP

3forks

WKR
The license still costs the same and the habitat is still there for all the other animals.

So whats the end game here? What do you want?
I’m trying to say that you can’t pen raise and release deer and elk to enhance hunting experiences in western states with the byproduct being a benefit for habitat, like you can with pheasants in SD.

What is an economic driver for a species like pheasants in an ag state like SD, doesn’t work In states like CO, WY, MT, etc.

KurtR

WKR
I’m trying to say that you can’t pen raise and release deer and elk to enhance hunting experiences in western states with the byproduct being a benefit for habitat, like you can with pheasants in SD.

What is an economic driver for a species like pheasants in an ag state like SD, doesn’t work In states like CO, WY, MT, etc.
No whats your end game with the tags and over crowding what do you want? How do you want to fix it?

BBob

WKR
Arizona is a perfect example with their OTC Mule deer tags
AZ already had requirements in place to cut OTC when the harvest reaches certain levels. This year lots of changes were implemented to reduce take so in other words our opportunities to hunt have already been reduced. That affects both resident and non-resident OTC and not just mule deer.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone say or admit they’ve driven to a zone to hunt just because they watched a show on YouTube or Netflix.
You should've seen the drainage(s) the year after Randy Newberg and that solo hunter guy put out their Dall Sheep videos. A buddy told me about the videos after I returned home from my hunt that year. I would guess it was 3x the people from a couple years before.

CorbLand

WKR
You should've seen the drainage(s) the year after Randy Newberg and that solo hunter guy put out their Dall Sheep videos. A buddy told me about the videos after I returned home from my hunt that year. I would guess it was 3x the people from a couple years before.
Chasing dead animals is a concept that never made much sense to me. There was a monster deer killed in the area I hunt and the next year, there was 2 times the number of people in there. Its ******* dead, move on to another one.

OP

3forks

WKR
No whats your end game with the tags and over crowding what do you want? How do you want to fix it?
I wouldn’t want to see opportunities for either residents or non-residents diminish, but additional exposure and promotion by influencers are contributing to the need to do something.

So, my solution (for the state I live in) is to reduce NR tags across the board and also eliminate OTC for non-residents.

Anyway, do you ever hunt Colorado? If so, do you have an opinion on how crowded you think it is?

Interesting discussion.

I'm glad Matt wrote the article and hopefully it will cause some self reflection amongst us hunters.
Why do we hunt? Get that figured out. Stay true to your passion.

I thought about why I hunt. I just like the challenge of pulling/buying a tag...figuring out the area/state to hunt...figuring out the species habits and then giving it a shot. I always take grip and grins...but only share with close friends and family. I used to send pics out to second string friends and coworkers...but that started to feel a bit greasy. Started to feel like I was just bragging...so I cut that out a few years ago.

I didnt think that I take pictures to brag about my hunting with friends and family. But maybe I do? Maybe it is some way of me showing that I am successful at hunting and I'm looking for their approval? But I really don't care what anyone thinks of me. So maybe I'm just showing them pictures to prove that my obsession and weeks spent in the mountains are not a total waste of my time? Validating myself through grip and grins? haha

I've never had social media (except rokslide) so I'm not sure how influencers work or how they advertise on their facebook/instagram. But putting grip and grins up for millions of followers seems REALLY weird. Who cares what a famous person shot? But totally within their rights to post that junk...after all they are making a living off hunting.

I wise man told me to pick a career path you like and enjoy...but don't ever make a career out of a passion. That is a sure way to destroy the fun in your life...and that is why I gave up guiding after 5 years! I agree with Matt...no way I would want to be in Steve's shoes. Maybe that is why he acts the way he does on his podcast because of the constant pressure to produce? Maybe he is a better host now...not sure I stopped listening to meateater a few years ago when they went bonkers commercialization.

Lots of traffic in the mountains last couple years...hikers/hunters etc. Its fine I guess. People should be able to do whatever they want as long as its not infringing on individual rights of other public users.

Yeah the crowds make the hunting more difficult...but just work harder and you will find success. If people are chasing influencer spots that is fine...there will be more room to hunt elsewhere.

KurtR

WKR
I wouldn’t want to see opportunities for either residents or non-residents diminish, but additional exposure and promotion by influencers are contributing to the need to do something.

So, my solution (for the state I live in) is to reduce NR tags across the board and also eliminate OTC for non-residents.

Anyway, do you ever hunt Colorado? If so, do you have an opinion on how crowded you think it is?
Nope picked idaho for elk and now my brother lives there i went the last 5 years. In those years i saw a total of 20 people or so. Didnt go this year got a new dog and ducks and geese were more important to me. we might do wyoming next year but taking a week out of prime waterfowl season is tough. I get all the deer hunting i want here.

Those dont sound like a bad plan to me. This wont be popular but otc should probably be done for both residents and non residents. Our bow tags are otc and i can see them going away sooner than later.

Chasing dead animals is a concept that never made much sense to me. There was a monster deer killed in the area I hunt and the next year, there was 2 times the number of people in there. Its ******* dead, move on to another one.
Well both their videos were bragging about how many legal rams they saw so not exactly the same. But I get your point and agree. But chasing dead rams is way different than hunting an area where guys show video of several legal (and almost legal) sheep left on the mountain.

Spots with legal sheep are hard to come by. Watching guys that never had to put in the work for their own scouting and who will never be back brag about how many legal sheep were left on the mountain in a video that gives away exactly where they are makes a guy a little pist. Giving the masses a layup walk in spot with legal sheep is going to get blown up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.