Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in Illinois and I remember the magazines that featured Illinois bucks to the point that when I got older, you didn't get permission to hunt a farm because they were all leased. This was before social media.

I went out "west" to Wyoming last year and it was packed... not by non-residents, but by locals on ATV's and everything else... one dude told me "I already have two elk in the freezer, just hoping for another for insurance. If I kill it tonight, I'll just tag it and come back tomorrow to get it"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
@KurtR tag allocations aren’t the same that’s my point. Media is dramatically influencing demand on a resource that’s diminishing for other reasons.
So they have increased the amount of tags available? If that’s the case then more animals would get killed . I know Idaho has the same amount of nr elk tags as they did 10 years ago but don’t know about other states.

woods89

WKR
How is the resource being affected by more hunters if the tag allocations stay the same? It’s less opportunity for people to draw tags but the amount killed would not change would it?
Fair point. Will state F&G do the right thing when faced with lots of demand on one hand and shrinking game populations from habitat loss on the other? And as mentioned above OTC is a bit of a mess.

I really don't know what the right answer is, other than more habitat, and that is a finite resource.

With the character limit on Rokslide, I've quoted your last paragraph, as I think that summarizes your questions and critique. I will try my best to answer and I appreciate that you are honestly seeking an answer.

A few pieces of background. I started applying in every western state in 1995. I made a lot of personal financial sacrifices to start doing that, knowing my interest in hunting intriguing landscapes would be best served by building points in states where it helped. I subscribed to Bowhunter Magazine at the time. Dwight Schuh wrote an article about point systems evolving in the west. Then I read an article by Jim Zumbo in Outdoor Life that explained the Colorado system that had only started a few years prior. From that, I gleaned information from a media source the allowed me to start working toward hunts I otherwise would not have drawn over the last 25 years.

Was I supposed to close the gate after I got that information that was helpful to my drawing tags? Everyone of us learned somewhere along the way that these opportunities exist and finally dispelled the myth that you need to be filthy rich or hire an outfitter.

When does it cross the line from helpful information to too much information? My experience in getting tons of comments over the years is that when it is "new information" to someone, it is helpful. Once they have that information and they want less competition, it crosses the line to "too much information."

I think it is intellectually honest to ask, and intellectually dishonest to deny, "Why is it OK for me/you/us to have the information and knowledge today, but we should suppress distribution of that information that could benefit hunters who don't have that information?"

I pose that as a serious question that we all must ask. I would ask the same to Matt and likely will the next time I see him. I would go even further and ask, "Why should nobody else get to hunt these public lands other than those of us who are hunting them today?"

It's easy to see some hypocrisy or selfishness in comments that can be summarized as, "I've been hunting these public lands for years and I'm not part of the problem, but when someone else comes to hunt those lands, its a problem that we need to do something about?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but that seems rather selfish. And, I suspect a close introspection by most would have to admit a bit of selfishness in the frustration of having to share the lands and the tags with others, especially those newcomers who might not have been born into a hunting culture. Hell, when I bump into people on public land, I might kick the dirt and complain, but I quickly realize they are probably thinking the same thing about me being there on that day.

I want better draw odds. I want less competition for tags and hunting space. I want to hunt more often. We all do, but there is a lot of "I want" in that honesty. And when we take action to express the "I want" desires, I understand it, but I also see the selfishness it includes, even when I find myself feeling that way.

Point creep is surely a factor of today's western hunting. I do videos on point creep every year and I will be doing another one for release in January. What are the causes of point creep beyond more awareness and information, something I agree with you contributes to increased demand?

• Reduced herd numbers for most species, resulting in far fewer tags? Certainly
  • Displacement of hunters from previously accessible private lands? Yes.
  • Lost access putting more pressure on units with ample public land? Yes
  • Is increase the rapid in western state resident populations changing allocation of opportunity and therefore point creep? Yes

I could add a lot more items adding to point creep, something that has increased every year since I started in applying in multiple states in 1995. It is going to happen so long as humans continue to breed like rabbits and more people move to western states.

So, since your question asks of me and my justification, here goes, knowing it might not be what folks want to hear.

My response, and one I think is lacking in Matt's comments, is that as our population grows, especially resident population of western states, efforts toward increased public access and better conservation are paramount. There is no greater cause to the future of hunting than access and conservation, at least in my opinion. Maybe I will be proven wrong, but in my 30 years of advocacy each year those two points increase in my priority. That is why my personal time and much of our content is focused on access and putting more elk in the hills, sheep on the mountain, and ducks in the air.

It comes down to some decisions, both collectively and individually - Are we going to fight over our piece of the smaller pie or try to make a bigger pie? Each person will make their own decision for each of the many different topics that come before them.

Those who have been through the B-school curriculums know the theories about abundance thinkers versus scarcity thinkers. The summary of that is people are programmed in two different ways; either to spend their efforts fighting for their share of a shrinking resource (focus on cutting expenses) or they spend their efforts working to increase the size of the resource (focus on increasing revenues). That theory applies in a lot of places other than just business.

For me, and I know some don't like this, our WHY of building advocates requires people to get out in the field and build that connection to public lands as a valued place that they are willing to defend and advocate for. To do that, requires providing information that gets them in the field, just like I got from Dwight and Jim and just like everyone of us got somewhere, somehow, along our path of western hunting.

This might piss people off even more, but I'm going to continue providing information that helps people get out and hunt these places I've been blessed to hunt. That's what I set out to do when I started these platforms. That's why I've worked this as an unpaid second job for the last fourteen years. That's why I've sunk a piss pot full of money into this effort. Not because I give a damn about likes, views, shares, or whatever. I want more access, more game, and new people coming to the fold to replace old farts like me who are not long for this earth. When the politicians come for the lands or the game, I want more people connected to hunting those lands and who will stand up against those efforts.

Many ask why I would provide information that could make my draw odds worse. Why I would want to have hunters out on these public lands. The simple answer for me, is that it is not about me and my opportunity. It is about making sure hunting continues long after I'm gone and there will always be public land for people to hunt on.

That's my honest answer in the allowed characters, knowing I'm probably going to get flamed for it. I appreciate you asking.

As to the point of CA, WA, OR, I'll address those in a later post. Same with @cnelk comments on KS.
Best post here.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
@KurtR
Tag quotas have remained static or generally decreased over the last several decades, and seem likely to continue doing the same, with the exception of elk in some areas and for a variety of reasons. Quotas (resource) static or declining across the west, demand rapidly increasing = part of the problem the article alludes to. That’s all I’m getting at.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt you'll hear from them especially Crossley. He went straight to the name calling after I questioned his gut shot deer in Wyoming. Tony Trietch is another one, he comes down here and feels the need to post pics of every single buck he glasses up. Not sure why anyone would do that unless they are needed "likes" and attention to their instagram page.
he does it because this is a hunting webisite and many of the members enjoy seeing the pic.s. And lots and lots of members post similiar. He did it before the like button ever came to this place.

Starting to wonder why you hang around here with such disdain for the place.

Might be time for you to move onto to something better.

See why you can't question some Roksliders? He posts tons of photos on his personal instagram and that is what I was questioning. Even messaged him about it on there. It was getting ridiculous especially when there were landmarks and you could tell what units he was in.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
See why you can't question some Roksliders? He posts tons of photos on his personal instagram and that is what I was questioning. Even messaged him about it on there. It was getting ridiculous especially when there were landmarks and you could tell what units he was in.

Oh you’re talking about Tony’s Instagram. Sorry I thought you meant here but, you know I see almost everything he posts (I reshare some
If it) and I don’t recognize any places. Probably because I don’t hunt the Midwest. I thought he was pretty secretive. I talk to him frequently, and I still don’t know where he’s hunting

But I’m trying to figure you out here. I saw you posting to a member not long ago about the number of points it took to draw a general Wyoming elk (forgive me if I’m getting a few of the details mixed up) so I just don’t see how that’s any different, other than scale, than what an “influencer” is doing on bigger social media?

I’m just trying to figure out where you’re coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Randy Newberg
Even though I was doing it anyway (DIY public land hunting trips out west), your content, along with the vast info on Rokslide has helped me be successful each time & with that I thank you & everyone on here who tries to help each other out with advice, etc.

BTW, am I a bad guy for wanting to share a pic of a successful hunt? That shit's hard man!

Here's a thought: maybe you could keep doing videos but just focus on the muskrats OK?

Or do some videos on stocks or crypto for our 450 page thread? That'd be great!

Last edited:
I didn't post any units specifically all I said was you can have a good hunt with 5 points if your not afraid of wolves and grizzlies. That is pretty broad info don't you think?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't post any units specifically all I said was you can have a good hunt with 5 points if your not afraid of wolves and grizzlies. That is pretty broad info don't you think?
It is broad but that’s why this whole issue is so confusing to me.

What are the rules? If you post a picture and one in 1000 people recognize where it’s at, have you crossed the line?

Or is it one in 10,000?.

Not being a smart ass, I’m just saying it seems like a moving target.

A person can post a grip and grin on rokslide, but if they posted on Instagram they’re a lowlife?

You can help somebody about how many points it takes to draw general elk and Wyoming, but if Randy Newberg encourages people to apply in a certain state, that’s worse?

Elkangle

WKR
I believe there is another stage of hunter beyond Matt

Edit...few stages beyond Matt

Ten Bears

WKR
It is broad but that’s why this whole issue is so confusing to me.

What are the rules? If you post a picture and one in 1000 people recognize where it’s at, have you crossed the line?

Or is it one in 10,000?.

Not being a smart ass, I’m just saying it seems like a moving target.

A person can post a grip and grin on rokslide, but if they posted on Instagram they’re a lowlife?

You can help somebody about how many points it takes to draw general elk and Wyoming, but if Randy Newberg encourages people to apply in a certain state, that’s worse?

I think the line that people have a hard time with is the taking of profit off it.

Example- posting a pic on a niche hunting forum where we police our own and have moderation is not the same as killing and posting them on IG to create content to build a brand to make money.

Also helping a fellow hunter with info on a hunting forum that is moderated and user policed isn’t the same as creating content for multiple social platforms that have millions of users.

This forum is genuinely a community of likeminded folks. The same can not be said for the major socials.

And by no means am I judging either but I do see the difference. Just trying to help the conversation along.

I enjoy a lot of online content but it is getting overwhelming and I totally understand how one can draw the conclusion that it might hurt hunting more than the good that comes from it. Compelling subject and I appreciate this conversation.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I think the line that people have a hard time with is the taking of profit off it.

Example- posting a pic on a niche hunting forum where we police our own and have moderation is not the same as killing and posting them on IG to create content to build a brand to make money.

Also helping a fellow hunter with info on a hunting forum that is moderated and user policed isn’t the same as creating content for multiple social platforms that have millions of users is not the same.

This forum is genuinely a community of likeminded folks. The same can not be said for the major socials.

And by no means am I judging either but I do see the difference. Just trying to help the conversation along.

I enjoy a lot of online content but it is getting overwhelming and I totally understand how one can draw the conclusion that it might hurt hunting more than the good that comes from it. Compelling subject and I appreciate this conversation.

Thanks for the explanation.

I see your point, but many people on this thread still seem a little hypocritical to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in

Also helping a fellow hunter with info on a hunting forum that is moderated and user policed isn’t the same as creating content for multiple social platforms that have millions of users is not the same.

Another point would be, at what point in this free country do we tell people how they should be making their money? When is it alright to tell people they need a different job?

Status
Not open for further replies.