Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODB

WKR
Agreed. Meateater being a media company, they damn well know about the algorithms. Instagram knows that if they push a picture of a giant bull elk in front of certain users, they will spend more time on the app, click links, spend money etc. The algorithm itself is doing the Three R's, and it's grossly tied up in engagement and profit.

Yup.

Seems to me that Matt has a bit of the Green eyed monster going on over Steve's Success.

Also, hunting has actually been far less affected than other outdoor ventures. The trailheads are insanely crowded right now, and camping spots impossible to find. There's such a huge "Get Outside" movement happening across the board. Hunting is just a tiny part of a wave of increased activity.
Everyone assumes a truck means hunter

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I must’ve listen to a different podcast because I thought Matt made his point quite well
Agreed, Matt's position and the article he wrote was not rebutted in the slightest after sitting in a room full of social media influencers for almost 3 hours. Janis and Cal were in agreement with Matt at some points. And the BHA stuff was wild. Matt pretty much admitted that the whole 3R thing was a push from the hunting industry to sell more crap, and the BHA board is starting to push back.

Great podcast. Matt didn't hold back one bit and went for the jugular on meateater. There were a few moments when Matt stopped talking and the room went silent.. Also, quote for the ages from Steve:

"Yeah, but it's my f**!%king podcast!"

Should be a merry Christmas!

Can you post a link of the podcast? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
Can someone provide a time stamp of when they get into the nitty gritty? Don't care to listen to Iguana lard cookies.

Mate, every time I hear them mention some ‘new’ ingredient, I feel bad for all the poor sources of that ingredient.

Everyone assumes a truck means hunter

Agree that increased outdoor activity seems to be happening across the board.

But, let's not pretend you can't guess what people are doing at trailheads based on what they are driving. I don't see many backpackers rolling up in a Ram 2500 Cummins with double 120qt coolers in the back along with gas cans, grills, propane, wall tents, etc.

Can you post a link of the podcast? Thanks!

Thank you!

JRam07

FNG
Seems to me that Matt has a bit of the Green eyed monster going on over Steve's Success.

Also, hunting has actually been far less affected than other outdoor ventures. The trailheads are insanely crowded right now, and camping spots impossible to find. There's such a huge "Get Outside" movement happening across the board. Hunting is just a tiny part of a wave of increased activity.
I think that is projection of yourself.

I dont think Matt cares that his brother is more successful in something he doesn't participate in.

I thought it was a little dishonest of Steve, to imply Meateater is not trying to recruit new hunters. I’ve always enjoyed the show and the podcast to an extent. However, it seems like almost all their content now is directly aimed at new hunters.

ODB

WKR
I thought it was a little dishonest of Steve, to imply Meateater is not trying to recruit new hunters. I’ve always enjoyed the show and the podcast to an extent. However, it seems like almost all their content now is directly aimed at new hunters.

Exactly. The entire thing has really shifted to the new hunter. The guidebooks and damn near every post is pointed toward the newbie. “Which is better, the 270 or 30.06?” Of course the real reason for those articles is SEO to drive clicks and sales - period. The new hunter, still believing they will have success with a product based on the testimony of an expert, laps it up.

Chernin’s e-commerce model is in full force here.

MattiG

FNG
Matt sounds a bit on edge over this topic whereas Steve comes off with a bit more equanimity. I read a good portion of the article and have listened to 20 minutes of their debate. I have to say I'm still not exactly sure what Matt's point is. He seems to be most upset about crowding?

I've watched however many clips of hunting on Netflix or online, and have to say apart from advertising a specific outfitter, I've never been led to a precise trailhead by the things I've watched. Contrast that to googling online forums, and the latter has been far more responsible for sending the message on where people should go.

Maybe it's different on IG or FB? I wouldn't know because I don't IG or FB.

Agree that increased outdoor activity seems to be happening across the board.

But, let's not pretend you can't guess what people are doing at trailheads based on what they are driving. I don't see many backpackers rolling up in a Ram 2500 Cummins with double 120qt coolers in the back along with gas cans, grills, propane, wall tents, etc.
Lol alright, I guess.

clkress5

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sad to see all these comments of people actually thinking that "Their" hunting spot is being ruined by new hunters from social media or influencer. Truth is they own it just as much as you. I help run a non profit that takes out disabled vets hunting and bring some normalcy back into their lives. Many, as in like 90 percent of them are first time hunters. We bring them out, we hunt and if were lucky they kill. Many times they post it on their social media and have tons of positive feedback and share it with friends and family. They get a feeling of accomplishment knowing they will be providing food for the family and filling a void that was lost along the way. Lots of times after the hunts they message me asking about gear and info on draws, etc.... Lots of them then follow different hunters to learn from and to bring excitement to them going out to do it again. Countless times I've gotten texts and emails about hunting has saved their life, it gives them something to look forward to bring a purpose back to their lives. Hunting is a passion and what is the point of a passion if you don't share it with others. I live to go out in the woods and help others, to hunt, fish and provide. If I can share that with someone so they can have that same feeling I will gladly do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.