Paying for someone to scout

Is that how much your "bison hunt" went for.... Nothing like a ****ing hypocrite throwing stones from a glass house.

ffaad1c7e872efec0fee28ccae029734.jpg

Private message sent.

jmez

WKR
I have no problems with this. I personally wouldn't be interested in the service but have no problem with anyone that does. I hunt for me and I do it in a way that satisfies myself. This type of service wouldn't fit in with that.

Other people hunt for their reasons and do what satisfies their needs and wants. I really have no business dictating to them what those needs and reasons should be. If it is legal and they are deriving enjoyment from it and the provider is profiting from a successful venture then it is a win for everyone involved.

ckleeves

WKR
So what about the local guy who spent all summer scouting and found a buck he wanted to hunt and then opening day a guy who has never stepped foot there is camped on that deer simply because he has deeper pockets. So much for the hard work the local put in scouting all summer. Put yourself in the locals shoes, how would you feel about a scouting service then?

The other problem I see is although this is a currently on a small scale (4-5 bucks a year) what happens when other guys see the $$$ and start there own? It isn't hard, all you need is the gear you more then likely already own. You can't put that much pressure on the mature bucks in a given area and not expect some major changes.

This is the kinda thing that's fine (to some people) if a couple guys are doing it but more then likely not OK with those same people if hundreds of people are doing it ( and it's in their area). It's just one more small step towards hunting becoming a rich mans sport and more and more commercialized.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but the direction hunting is going frankly scares me.
The "Win at all cost" mentality getting out of hand. Sometimes the animals win, and that's ok with me. That's part of hunting.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but the direction hunting is going frankly scares me.
The "Win at all cost" mentality getting out of hand. Sometimes the animals win, and that's ok with me. That's part of hunting.
This is a great point

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Like others, this isn't for me. I don't necessarily have anything against a person doing this. However, I think it can be a slippery slope that we all should be concerned with. What I mean is that our game animals are a public resource, belonging to us all. The more this type of hunting gains in popularity, the more hunting becomes a rich mans sport, and ever so slowly pushing the Proletariat out. This isn't anything new, as if we look to our ocean fishery in this country. Those fish are a public resource, belonging to the public, or better said to the people in those ocean states, and the rest of the country. Yet, the vast vast majority of the catch shipped overseas to a market without limits on the amount they desire. What is has done here is not only limited availability here, but it has also driven up the cost, so once again, the proletariat simply can not afford the fish in the moderate to upper costs. There are limits on outfitters and guides. But this has no limits other than the number of deer locations one can sell. The issue here is that there is currently no limit on the number of people than can do this, and thus no limit on the total buck locations than can be sold. Or any other species for that matter. I am not the type to like more regulation, but sometime in the future, this may need to be regulated.

jmez

WKR
In a capitalistic society money will always provide opportunity. It is the very nature of the system.

It still wouldn't bother me if it happened in my back yard.

dotman

WKR
It's one thing to get information it's another to have boots on the ground. Wouldn't bother me one bit, really how is it different then guys on forums sharing info except no money was exchanged and no pictures of a big buck given. I just don't see it giving guys a huge advantage just a better shot at narrowing down an area to hunt.

I see tons of guys post pm sent when people ask about areas, same concept in my eyes.

Hard to believe the "Days of ore" are gone with people selling out the locations of big bucks for personal gain....

Anything for a "buck" I guess....

It's one thing to get information it's another to have boots on the ground. Wouldn't bother me one bit, really how is it different then guys on forums sharing info except no money was exchanged and no pictures of a big buck given. I just don't see it giving guys a huge advantage just a better shot at narrowing down an area to hunt.

I see tons of guys post pm sent when people ask about areas, same concept in my eyes.

Dot have you read what he is offering?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't see them the same at all. You didn't read about his service did you. Also when you give or receive money it changes the situation. ie helping someone on the side of the road broke down vs getting paid to fix someone vehicle on the side of the road.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

robie

WKR
If I pay for a guide that has pre-scouted its ok. But if I pay someone to pre-scout chit hits the fan and its not ok? :confused:

Here is my plan for this fall. I'm putting in for a deer tag in CO. I've contacted someone to scout for me, my buddy and I also each have our own scouting trips planned but can each only spare a weekend coming from Texas. So I'm paying a guy to scout an area for us over a few days and then we each plan on covering different areas in the unit he hasn't covered when we go to scout. Our thought is we've increased our scouting time by 50% for a reasonable fee and can hopefully cover most of our unit across the 3 trips.

Does this change anything? Am I now not a hunter because I paid someone for part of my scouting? .

I asked the guy scouting if he finds a good one to tie it to a tree for me so the deer will be in the same spot. We negotiated a $/inch deal for this added service. (this is a joke for someone of you who might have missed it)

GotDraw?

WKR
Wow, this is really becoming a tempest in a teapot.

The practical reality is that there is not enough money in scouting to truly compensate someone for doing it as a job. Think about it, how many weeks of scouting, doing hard, backcountry hiking/camping will it take to find even one true shooter buck? How many of them will a "scout" find? How much can he realistically charge for that information without adding value by guiding for it? My sense of it is that scouting is a very low income value proposition versus the time, effort, food, sweat, etc. Want to be a scouting millionaire? As Steve Martin would say... First, start with a million dollars...

In the subject instance, this information is simply a byproduct of one very serious hunter's 2nds and 3rds. The ones he doesn't want... He will would not make enough on this to offset the income, insurance, etc that he would get from a regular job. Therefore, my sense of it is that this business is a non-starter for anyone here on Rokslide that is worried about the "competition" from it. No one in his right mind would do this for a real business, unless it was a byproduct of some other effort that had him in the backcountry.

In the end, does it matter if the "Someone" that shoots "your" buck got that info from a friend, or from someone who paid for it? Except that some hunters will feel insulted by it. The buck is dead, end of story. If insulted, does it then matter if the hunter was also driving a Ford Raptor that you couldn't afford? Of if he got up there faster than you could because he went by horse because he could afford that too? Or if his loser buddy who was hiking recreationally told him about it? Or if he could afford a better gun, more time on long range practice? That's all money too.

Yes, having money changes things, but the outcome is the same. Oh, and I am not the hunter with a Raptor. I hike it and find them.

JL

Last edited:

Bar

Banned
I'll make one last post on this that shouldn't bother too many.

My goal in posting in this thread was to tell those who pay for a guide, or get info from any source whether it's payed for or not. That doing a hunt yourself is much more rewarding. I understand that might not be appealing to them and all they want is a trophy animal. So be it. I personally could care less how anybody hunts. I may have a strong opinion about it, but it's their choice. I'm talking to those on the line. Those who aren't sure if doing it all and maybe failing, or getting help from others. It's a personal decision that everybody makes. It's about what you want to get out of the hunt. Some get more out of a challenge than others. Some just want success. That's what keeps outfitters in business. Nothing wrong with that for those who choose that way.

For those who decide to always do the whole hunt themselves? Welcome to the club bro.

Ok, i'm done.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My sense of it is that scouting is a very low income value proposition versus the time, effort, food, sweat, etc. Want to be a scouting millionaire? As Steve Martin would say... First, start with a million dollars...

JL

BWWAAAahhaahaaahaaa

way to lighten the mood GotDraw, and you're exactly right; it ain't for the money

charvey9

WKR
I understand some the concerns a little better now. Seems to boil down to the rich having an unfair advantage because they can pay for these services, and that may lead to the reduction of game populations because the paid services will increase harvest rates.

I can see some logic in that, however, paid hunts or guided hunts have been around for probably as long as people have been hunting for entertainment. I'm sure the harvest rates are better than DIY, but have no concrete numbers to support if the money truly buys success. I know plenty of people come home empty handed from guided hunts. What I can say for certain is that there are still plenty of animals (yes, we all want more), and plenty of trophies to pursue despite decades, if not centuries, of people paying for hunting services. Given that, I find it hard to belive a scouting service will have a long lasting or serious impact on hunting.

If we are all honest, there is probably some jealousy contributing to the emotion in this thread. I could care less about the people able to pay for this service, but I am certainly jealous of the guy that gets to spend all that time on the mountain scouting these toads.

dotman

WKR
Dot have you read what he is offering?

Naw haven't checked out his website but really he can offer the world for any price, doesn't mean much as hard work will still be required and money can't buy actually putting in the work come game time.

Last edited:
Hell people have been doing it for free via forums for years.

Don't forget to turn off GPS on your phone or scrub your scouting pics before you post them...lol

dotman

WKR
I looked his website over, still doesn't bother me. I never saw anyone complain about bowsite member mule power doing the same thing http://www.headinwest.net

I bet there are a few of these out there we don't know about that have been operating for years. Heck I know of a website you can buy game unit maps from that show the best habitat in each unit with predicted travel routes, water sources and the best feed. Still isn't going to make hunting during the season any easier.

I still think all these services do is help people narrow down an area of focus.

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
I'll make one last post on this that shouldn't bother too many.

My goal in posting in this thread was to tell those who pay for a guide, or get info from any source whether it's payed for or not. That doing a hunt yourself is much more rewarding. I understand that might not be appealing to them and all they want is a trophy animal. So be it. I personally could care less how anybody hunts. I may have a strong opinion about it, but it's their choice. I'm talking to those on the line. Those who aren't sure if doing it all and maybe failing, or getting help from others. It's a personal decision that everybody makes. It's about what you want to get out of the hunt. Some get more out of a challenge than others. Some just want success. That's what keeps outfitters in business. Nothing wrong with that for those who choose that way.

For those who decide to always do the whole hunt themselves? Welcome to the club bro.

Ok, i'm done.

I am not sure these two things are exclusive. Plenty of folks probably understand the "reward" of doing it all inclusive. For instance, a person could do it all in their home state. They could also opt for a scouting service like this if they are planning a hunt in a state that is far away. A person could use this service in that faraway state, do the hunt, then in subsequent years return, and branch out further from the provdied area. I see it as a good foundation in a far-away state where a person is limited by time or other resources.

I don't see a service like this as a means to an end, but more of a expedited learning curve.