License Fraud help!

CorbLand

WKR
WTF is going on with GW these days? They get some TV shows and now they are out there doing investigations on everyone and thinking that they are FBI or something.

Then they like to issue citations on stuff done years ago. If we all got speeding tickets for what we did last year, would sure piss us off.
What are they supposed to be doing?

Rich M

WKR
Doh'k. Just need to get a drivers license and park an old bus there you say? WY general elk and Region G tags, here I come!

If you have a home base, that's your residence.

I live in FL - old folks come and go with the seasons. Some become FL residents and have to be here 6 months/year to claim that. Some stay OH, NY, NH, or whatever residents and stay at those places 6 months of the year. They also pay whatever taxes to their state of residency. FL has no state tax which makes it appealing.

If you got a DL from ID and pay taxes to ID then you are an ID resident, if not then, you aren't.

IF OP is a gypsy and doesn't pay taxes, he better get it figured out before the bigger boyz than GWs come after him. Bus or no bus.

I’m happy for you. The OP owns one home and lives in it.
How do you think this will play out for him?
Could play out a lot of ways, has nothing to do where he lives NOW, or what he owns. As everything todo on if he meet residency status of 270 days etc while he was in school in Idaho.

Runwilderness

Lil-Rokslider
WTF is going on with GW these days? They get some TV shows and now they are out there doing investigations on everyone and thinking that they are FBI or something.

Then they like to issue citations on stuff done years ago. If we all got speeding tickets for what we did last year, would sure piss us off.

For OP - where is the address on your driver's license? That's what this all comes down to. You claim residency somewhere and that's where you buy Rez hunting/fishing licenses.

It aint rocket scientist. And the GW will probably get a raise for tracking you down. :rolleyes:
Not a lawyer here, but I don’t think a DL defines residency. Most states require you to obtain a new DL when your residency changes…just hanging on to your old one doesn’t mean you didn’t actually become a resident of the new state you’re living in.

A quick skim of U of I’s residency requirements makes it seem like you need to be domiciled in Idaho in addition to a number of other criteria.

Tax law. Voter registration. College tuition. Fish and Game. Each may have their own definition, but I doubt any of them leave it up to what some ‘thinks’ their residence is or wants it to be at some future point in time.

Rich M

WKR
Not a lawyer here, but I don’t think a DL defines residency. Most states require you to obtain a new DL when your residency changes…just hanging on to your old one doesn’t mean you didn’t actually become a resident of the new state you’re living in.

A quick skim of U of I’s residency requirements makes it seem like you need to be domiciled in Idaho in addition to a number of other criteria.

Tax law. Voter registration. College tuition. Fish and Game. Each may have their own definition, but I doubt any of them leave it up to what some ‘thinks’ their residence is or wants it to be at some future point in time.
Only moved to new state twice. Got DL, registered vehicle, and started working in the state. 6 months to a year later I was a resident.

I know snow bird folks - 6 months here, 6 months there, they keep the chosen state of residency but actually have 2 places... Typically folks take the FL residency to save on state income tax. If yer old on limited income, no reason to pay 3-4-5% state tax if you don't have to.

Not sure you can get a DL in a state if you aren't a resident. If you hold onto an old one - what address goes on it? I musta glazed over that. SO he has old DL and no correct address on it? The hunting stuff might be the least of his worries.

Not sure you can get a DL in a state if you aren't a resident. If you hold onto an old one - what address goes on it? I musta glazed over that. SO he has old DL and no correct address on it? The hunting stuff might be the least of his worries.

I got a drivers license once for a residence I was just paying cash to a co-worker for rent, no lease, utility bills, etc. Walked into DMV with no proof of nothing other than my existing drivers license from the last address. Filled out the form, took a picture, and walked out with a new drivers license.

Sizthediz

WKR
Stop talking to the police. They are rarely there to help you. Does the phrases I'm from the government and I'm here to help or anything you say can and WILL be used against YOU. Get a lawyer. It socks but do it. Unless you're gonna hope for the mercy and leniency of the court. Lol

COelk89

Lil-Rokslider
Deleting this thread won't do anything as everything is archived and accessible.

If you had not posted to this forum the intricacies underlying the fraud, had just been polite to the game warden while giving him no information, and immediately contacted a decent lawyer; I believe you would have a decent shot to get off with a slap on the wrist to no punishment. The burden of getting in state residency for college is much higher than resident hunting license. The duration of time and burden of proof is higher. If you can demonstrate that your residency was legit for school, then your hunting license should be valid. If you cannot demonstrate that then you may be putting school residency issues in jeopardy. Wow what a pain in the ass and a great reason to not live in a van.

IDVortex

WKR
What are they supposed to be doing?
As a resident of this fine state. I hope catching people who are trying to skirt the law and take advantage of our hunting. Better the law after him, then him drawing a OIL goat tag that I could've drawn but can't thinks to him. I still believe in tar and feathers.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
I assume he is getting his mail at the Washington house, and that information is what is entered in the Idaho Fish and wild life system. That would be a no brainer for the Game Warden to figure out. A lot of different factors to residency but if you don't even receive mail at a residence in the State you are claiming.... pretty tough to prove residency

I assume he is getting his mail at the Washington house, and that information is what is entered in the Idaho Fish and wild life system. That would be a no brainer for the Game Warden to figure out. A lot of different factors to residency but if you don't even receive mail at a residence in the State you are claiming.... pretty tough to prove residency
What's mail? Why would I need it?

jimh406

WKR
I'm not a lawyer. I think if an Idaho college classifies you as instate, you are a resident. It seems like Idaho Fish and Wildlife or whatever their name is should sync with the schools to use the same rules.

It seems that students are able to skip all kinds of rules, so I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a student loophole for this as well. Fwiw, people study abroad for extended periods of time and don't lose their state residency.

My thought is the student angle is probably the right path to follow. Also, there is probably student law help for free.

Good luck.

Loo.wii

WKR
First mistake is you even talked to the warden. Stop talking to cops. Delete this thread. Call a lawyer.
This. today is STFU friday. STFU and don't talk to the cops. they are not your friend. hire a lawyer

Sizthediz

WKR
If you don't talk to them then you can never lie to them. Unless they are family they are NOT your friends. They are just fishing for an excuse to write you a ticket or arrest you.

I'm not a lawyer. I think if an Idaho college classifies you as instate, you are a resident. It seems like Idaho Fish and Wildlife or whatever their name is should sync with the schools to use the same rules.

It seems that students are able to skip all kinds of rules, so I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a student loophole for this as well. Fwiw, people study abroad for extended periods of time and don't lose their state residency.

My thought is the student angle is probably the right path to follow. Also, there is probably student law help for free.

Good luck.
OP did not clarify if he was going to a WUE college

wapitibob

WKR
I seriously doubt you need a lawyer.

Idaho Residency Requirements

Proof of residency is required to buy any resident license. A resident is anyone who has been domiciled in this state with a bona fide intent to make this their place of permanent abode, for a period of not less than 6 months immediately preceding the date of application for any license, tag or permit. A senior resident is anyone age 65 and older who has lived in the state at least 6 months immediately preceding the date of application for a senior license or tag.

Pretty clear, and being a resident for the purpose of obtaining a hunting license is way different than being a resident of the state for a drivers license or school.