I propose the “Fair opportunity in America’s Outdoors Act”

But the states have the right to limit any activities and where they take place for resiidents & non residence there is nothing in the constitution of any state saying it HAS to allow ayone regardless of residency unlimited access to the lands with in it's borders
Regardless of weather it's state or federal lands
That was my point.
People think they have unlimited rights to do whatever they choose on land in states they do not live in it just doesn't work that way
Ife isn't fair that's just how it is
I see your point. I’m just saying that the federal lands do belong to all of us.

I, and everyone else on here understands that. A lot of laws can be interpreted as unconstitutional. Just because a freedom has been denied, and excepted by complacent people, does not mean it right. Wilderness area residents restrictions, that’s a joke. Wilderness guide restrictions, that’s a joke- are you kidding me? Oh, I’ll entertain the concept of “it’s just for my safety” lol. I’ll take care of myself and accept the risk of the big, bad, scary wilderness zone arbitrarily marked off by the government. Please.
Again, we are all UNITED states citizens.
It's still the right of the state to decide not you or me you can twist it all you want
The courts have up held the states right to do exactly that just because you think it's a joke doesn't change or nullify it

Last edited:
BTW, we already have

“Fair opportunity in America’s Outdoors”​

Ohio can decide to only issue tags to residents of Ohio should they choose. All states have the same right to manage their game. Not all states have the same habitat so you get what you get where you choose to live.

As @mossyoak52 said. You don’t have to like it but you have to abide…
A8129765-9F6D-4778-AD45-BC1E0F99DA63.jpeg

Last edited:

Bighorner

WKR
I was reading a report that said 97% of sheep conservation and revenue for NM was NR. Yet they are going to probably vote a zero allocation.

My biggest issue with NR allocation is eventually you get generational mind set that they don’t care because it’s never going to be an option for them. When that happens conservation and worse legislation support goes away.

I’m a pretty big advocate for public land in places like TX. Even though there is only roughly 2 million acres of it, most people think there is virtually none. Is there any one from out side of texas that would support conservation or legislative protections for TX public land even though it’s has the least barriers of entry to hunt in the US? Not on this forum most state that Texas has zero public land.

Just something to ponder. I know I would pull all my conservation funding from any state or conservation group that supports states with Zero NR allocation.

I put applications in a 11 states. Only two dont require me to buy a hunting license to apply. I use to put in for 14. Those other three see very little money if any from me

I think you hit on a lot there. When you say conservation dollars does that mean tag fees or direct donations? I can really appreciate the things you said there, even though I'm on the other end of the spectrum in that putting in for 11 states is crazy to me from both a time and financial outlay.

I tend to put dontae conservation efforts, but admittedly most in my home states. I'm largely out of the loop on other states. I will say BHA gave me massive whiplash this month and I'm back to being pretty disappointed.

I'm glad you are putting time into Texas public land. I had no idea it was roughly 2 million acres.

I was really thinking about hunter numbers and how overall numbers may be down, but usage is up as a result of guys hunting multiple species in multiple years. I'm glad you have have the drive/time/$ to swing it and I certainly dont blame you.

Thanks for that point of view.

I think you hit on a lot there. When you say conservation dollars does that mean tag fees or direct donations? I can really appreciate the things you said there, even though I'm on the other end of the spectrum in that putting in for 11 states is crazy to me from both a time and financial outlay.

I tend to put dontae conservation efforts, but admittedly most in my home states. I'm largely out of the loop on other states. I will say BHA gave me massive whiplash this month and I'm back to being pretty disappointed.

I'm glad you are putting time into Texas public land. I had no idea it was roughly 2 million acres.

I was really thinking about hunter numbers and how overall numbers may be down, but usage is up as a result of guys hunting multiple species in multiple years. I'm glad you have have the drive/time/$ to swing it and I certainly dont blame you.

Thanks for that point of view.
I’m blessed to get to hunt as much as I do and able to apply and at very least build points.

Conservation is all the above. That non resident hunting license required for a draw app is part of the formula for Pittman Robertson money, so everything is linked together wether It be individual fund raiser for water catchments, app fees, license fees and raffle tags, etc.

Yes TX has almost 2 mill, but half fall under National Parks authority with a much different view of multi use. The figure most people use is public land % of all entire state acreage. That one’s a little rough being Texas was deeded before most western states hit statehood, so essentially all federal was basically purchased via money or debt forgiveness

I don’t think I have ever hunted a state that I didn’t love and want to return. Every state offers American citizens a unique opportunity to hunt a diverse and beautiful eco system, it’s unfortunate that some state draw the line of Citizenship at its borders.

Last edited:
it’s unfortunate that some state draw the line of Citizenship at its borders.
Lol this is funny coming from a texan
One of the most ego driven stuck up
Think everybody has to do what they say
Because it TEAXAS and we are better than anybody 😄🤣🤣🤣
Know I know it's just a TEAXAS thing

Last edited:

joel

FNG
All I know is the more govt. involvement you have in anything......anything at all......the more problems and less freedom we all end up with in the end.

Lol this is funny coming from a texan
Lol valid point, some parts the year I am, Some parts the year I’m not. The one thing about Texas, they sell almost a million hunting licenses a year. They vote and are very passionate about hunting rights, that’s a good thing when it’s come to needing legislation support in other state. 14+ million hunting license sold in the US. We can all do great things when we don’t cannibalize each other. Sometimes that a tall order though

OP
B
I don’t think I have ever hunted a state that I didn’t love and want to return. Every state offers American citizens a unique opportunity to hunt a diverse and beautiful eco system, it’s unfortunate that some state draw the line of Citizenship at its borders.
If I could boil down to its essence that was the point of my OP, which I think has been misconstrued by some. Or perhaps I just didn’t articulate it well.

I think finding some incentive for states to always allocate a small percentage of its opportunities for nonresidents, and keep that opportunity within the financial realm of the “Everyman” would be beneficial for all of us from both a sporting opportunity standpoint, as well as long term conservation standpoint.

I think many here are getting too hung up on the semantics or bureaucracies within the current system to recognize that point.

In order for conservation to truly win long term, we often have to take actions in the short term that harm our individual opportunities.

I’m sure the market hunters were pissed when the Lacey act was passed. Each one of us today is thankful that it did.

Lol valid point, some parts the year I am, Some parts the year I’m not. The one thing about Texas, they sell almost a million hunting licenses a year. They vote and are very passionate about hunting rights, that’s a good thing when it’s come to needing legislation support in other state. 14+ million hunting license sold in the US. We can all do great things when we don’t cannibalize each other. Sometimes that a tall order though
It's a cool state been there a few times

I think finding some incentive for states to always allocate a small percentage of its opportunities for nonresidents, and keep that opportunity within the financial realm of the “Everyman” would be beneficial for all of us from both a sporting opportunity standpoint, as well as long term conservation standpoint.
I agree with this 100%.
but getting all players to the table to negotiate is the problem
It's the what's in it for me and how do I profit off it mentality that stops anything positive from ever taking place

I think many here are getting too hung up on the semantics or bureaucracies within the current system to recognize that point.
States (Western states, where I presume you are mostly talking about) already allocate a pretty big percentage of tags to NR’s. I don’t understand what the concern is. Some hunts aren’t even available to NR’s is the east.

svillalobos

Lil-Rokslider
Dude you can come camp on public lands anytime you want and get use outta all that land you’re paying for, but when it comes to the taking of the STATES resources well their first priority is to manage those animals for the RESIDENTS of said state. tough cookie you don’t like it but its the way it should be, you’re right we are all nonresidents and I deal with other states all the time that are trimming down opportunity, I don’t like it but i understand mostly that its best for their residents.
Come camp away my friend

If you wanna be mad go blame all these you tubers and know how shows and magazine that got everyone interested in hunting multiple states that put a strain on the resources and the drawing systems. All in the name of sponsorship. They are the ones hurting your opportunity
100% it’s already changed AZ opportunity which was already limited for a resident.

OP
B
States (Western states, where I presume you are mostly talking about) already allocate a pretty big percentage of tags to NR’s. I don’t understand what the concern is. Some hunts aren’t even available to NR’s is the east.
The bigger concern isn’t necessarily the reduction in NR opportunity (though that is happening, or at least there is a push to make it happen in certain states) it’s the fact that opportunity and public resource is being exploited for profit by private entities (namely outfitters.)

The pool of people able to enjoy that resource, and thus care about that resource and opportunity, will shrink.

ETA I don’t want federally owned public land to turn into a hunting paradise for the wealthy being exploited by private businesses. That is irrefutably happening in multiple western states, and the trend will continue until hunters decide enough is enough.

Last edited:

Bighorner

WKR
The bigger concern isn’t necessarily the reduction in NR opportunity (though that is happening, or at least there is a push to make it happen in certain states) it’s the fact that opportunity and public resource is being exploited for profit by private entities (namely outfitters.)

The pool of people able to enjoy that resource, and thus care about that resource and opportunity, will shrink.

ETA I don’t want federally owned public land to turn into a hunting paradise for the wealthy being exploited by private businesses. That is irrefutably happening in multiple western states, and the trend will continue until hunters decide enough is enough.

I think in some ways we are there. There is a bunch of guys (R) that are fires up about the proposed outfitter hand outside.

The hard thing to fight is the folks in the hill and at the task force level with a grass route effort of people staying tuned in and putting in comments each time they can.

It doesn't take much thought to figure out why this stuff is getting pushed threw in the summer when interstate lags as opposed to january.

JjamesIII

WKR

State governments are chasing money anywhere they can. It’s a problem. Anything they can exploit and tax, they will. Ultimately we are getting taxed for utilizing resources that we own as citizens of the UNITED states of America. We’re not supposed to be acting as a fragmented confederacy. Paying several thousand dollars for a permission slip to hunt is insane.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’d like to propose some changes federally

1. All non western states can only hunt whitetails every other year in their home state

2. If you hunt out of state that year you have to donate your in state tag to a western hunter

You realize how silly that is… cause that is the type of crap that non res always want for their western playground states, try to put yourself in our shoes for once.

I am from Co, I have family with a lot of hunting connections and plenty of land to hunt in AZ, some of it in good units, I feel no claim to hunt AZ every year being that I am not a resident. If I get to hunt it once every 3-5 years I’ll be thrilled

Not to distract from agruement but I’ve killed a ton of Deer(Bucks and does), axis and a few other exotics on public in TX.
Someone never has looked into public hunting in texas. Not only is their quite a bit available, but at a fraction of the cost of other states.

87TT

WKR
State governments are chasing money anywhere they can. It’s a problem. Anything they can exploit and tax, they will. Ultimately we are getting taxed for utilizing resources that we own as citizens of the UNITED states of America. We’re not supposed to be acting as a fragmented confederacy. Paying several thousand dollars for a permission slip to hunt is insane.
You do not own the animals, the state does. We are a Republic not a Democracy. All the roads to get to the henting are owned and maintained by the state so consider it a toll instead of a tax. And a trophy fee instead of a permission slip.

Gobbler36

WKR
I’d like to propose some changes federally

1. All non western states can only hunt whitetails every other year in their home state

2. If you hunt out of state that year you have to donate your in state tag to a western hunter

You realize how silly that is… cause that is the type of crap that non res always want for their western playground states, try to put yourself in our shoes for once.

I am from Co, I have family with a lot of hunting connections and plenty of land to hunt in AZ, some of it in good units, I feel no claim to hunt AZ every year being that I am not a resident. If I get to hunt it once every 3-5 years I’ll be thrilled
Couldn’t agree more all these guys get in here and butch about western states cutting opportunities to non res when most these guys get in the east get multiple whitetail tags every year