Wyo Task Force - Nonres Comments!

Wags

WKR
Cracks me up in a digital age/workforce people don’t realize you don’t have to find a job in WY to move there, just wait till thousands of CA residents become WY residents, they’ll then wish they didn’t tell people to nut up and move there. COVID proved to many companies they don’t need people in the office to get the job done and can lower overhead costs.

But truthfully doubt I’d want to live there as it seems to be a very unfriendly state, maybe I’m wrong but residents surely don’t seem like they would be friendly unless you grew up there.

I give WY 15 years till it’s like CO and the liberals are in charge anyway.

It can be that way in most places until people get to know you. I've not had any issues in Wyoming or Colorado with people being rude. The responses you see on here are mostly ego. I've found over the years of meeting guys off of forums that 99% of them are good guys but come across a certain way on here. Definitely don't let what you see here count as a reflection of the communities in Wyoming.

That said I'm going to retire in either WY or MT. I don't give two craps what any of them think about it either. I fought, killed and bled for this country. Nobody is going to influence me on where I live other than my families input.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck on your move.
From my experience visiting other states, it seems most of the NR vitriol comes from “transplants”.
Don’t be like those assholes and try to close the door behind you.😉(I doubt that you will.) @Wags

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
An angle I hadn't considered - I just spoke to a few residents that are second guessing their position on 90/10 for elk. They are general area elk hunters and are concerned about the additional hunting pressure that will be created. If 90/10 passes for elk, that will place an additional 2000 or so non-residents in general areas. That would be a significant increase in some general areas that are more popular than others.

Donjuan

WKR
It can be that way in most places until people get to know you. I've not had any issues in Wyoming or Colorado with people being rude. The responses you see on here are mostly ego. I've found over the years of meeting guys off of forums that 99% of them are good guys but come across a certain way on here. Definitely don't let what you see here count as a reflection of the communities in Wyoming.

That said I'm going to retire in either WY or MT. I don't give two craps what any of them think about it either. I fought, killed and bled for this country. Nobody is going to influence me on where I live other than my families input.
Thank you for fighting for our country.

An angle I hadn't considered - I just spoke to a few residents that are second guessing their position on 90/10 for elk. They are general area elk hunters and are concerned about the additional hunting pressure that will be created. If 90/10 passes for elk, that will place an additional 2000 or so non-residents in general areas. That would be a significant increase in some general areas that are more popular than others.

. . . Well that will just lead to capped units in a few years for non residents (see Idaho 2021) which will then lead to less non residents tags. But they will feather it out across a decade or so, that way it's death by 1000 cuts instead of one swift blow that would truly upset the masses of NR.

And that gives them time to raise resident fees by about $30 and non resident fees by about $500 largely offsetting their losses!

Yay capitalism!

Rat

FNG
Not trying to come off as an a@&hole,but there is a sacrifice that comes with being a PERMANENT resident of this state( as with other states im sure). Ive helped many immigrants......i mean non residents......with info on how,when and where to start whenever I can. As someone who did not grow up in Wyoming i know first hand how tough it can be. But these decisions are made in a way that isnt going to please everyone.....and the last time i looked it seems that life is not fair in general.
Correct me if I am wrong, but if a non resident purchases enough land he can get landowner tags. One of my fears is that rich folks will buy up the land, get the landowner tags which will reduce the availability of tags to the average non resident even more. If I understand NR landowner tags correctly, the tags are awarded every year and are deducted from the NR quota for that area. I get the 90:10 split, it just sucks that hunting is becoming more and more of a rich mans game every year.

Wags

WKR
Correct me if I am wrong, but if a non resident purchases enough land he can get landowner tags. One of my fears is that rich folks will buy up the land, get the landowner tags which will reduce the availability of tags to the average non resident even more. If I understand NR landowner tags correctly, the tags are awarded every year and are deducted from the NR quota for that area. I get the 90:10 split, it just sucks that hunting is becoming more and more of a rich mans game every year.

I'm not sure if the NR Landowner Tags are pulled from the NR quota or not but the rest is correct. The tag allocations are awarded by numbers based off of continuous acreage. For example, my piece is over 400 acres. This land has been in my family for over 30 years and was purchased at a decent price. I qualify for 2 deer & 2 goats every year. I do not qualify for Elk because there is not enough acreage.

In theory what you described could happen. Though that's a lot of money to pony up to get tags every year. It'd probably be cheaper to go on several guided hunts per year than buy enough property to earn tags depending on which area you buy in.

BuzzH

WKR
Wyoming residents make it sound like the state is a combination of the surface of the sun, eye of a hurricane and Antarctica all at the same time, while living off wages thousands of dollars below the poverty line. Good thing they get all those tags to barely get by on

I'm not sure if the NR Landowner Tags are pulled from the NR quota or not but the rest is correct. The tag allocations are awarded by numbers based off of continuous acreage. For example, my piece is over 400 acres. This land has been in my family for over 30 years and was purchased at a decent price. I qualify for 2 deer & 2 goats every year. I do not qualify for Elk because there is not enough acreage.

In theory what you described could happen. Though that's a lot of money to pony up to get tags every year. It'd probably be cheaper to go on several guided hunts per year than buy enough property to earn tags depending on which area you buy in.
NR landowner tags come from the NR quota...and can take 100% of the available NR tags for any given deer, elk or pronghorn area. But, each landowner is limited to only 2 per qualifying species.

Mike7

WKR
Ten pages in this thread. Does this thread makes a difference in anything?

Maybe you should apply to be a thread monitor for Rokslide?...but then it sounds like we may all be stuck discussing only what you think is appropriate? Some might find this good, but others not so much.​

Tracy Stone Manning, a lying Eco terrorist

@Ryan Avery Seems like it is time to lock this one down.

Rat

FNG
NR landowner tags come from the NR quota...and can take 100% of the available NR tags for any given deer, elk or pronghorn area. But, each landowner is limited to only 2 per qualifying species.
Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know they qualified for two I thought it was one.

4rcgoat

WKR
Yes it does,and im anything BUT rich. I dont get much into stats honestly, and i probably shouldn't comment on this too much as i have no dog in this fight. I moved here over 15 years ago and have just accepted whatever the WGFD comes up with as im just grateful to have the opportunity. I will say however that if i was in the shoes of non residents I would be of the same mindset for sure. Oh and by the way,i do find the wilderness rule absolutely ridiculous.

WKR
Yes it does,and im anything BUT rich. I dont get much into stats honestly, and i probably shouldn't comment on this too much as i have no dog in this fight. I moved here over 15 years ago and have just accepted whatever the WGFD comes up with as im just grateful to have the opportunity. I will say however that if i was in the shoes of non residents I would be of the same mindset for sure. Oh and by the way,i do find the wilderness rule absolutely ridiculous.
It's the only way to keep them from all of the good animals! They can have that non wilderness trash.

mhabiger

FNG
For those who are interested in impact to license cost, here is a little spreadsheet I put together. This doesn't account for fewer nonresidents applying and the corresponding impact to preference point revenues, which are substantial at $12M. So this is a best case scenario view.

1626537308349.png

Adjust the orange highlighted columns to see how split changes and who shares the burden of the shortfall impact res/nonres license cost.

Wags

WKR
For those who are interested in impact to license cost, here is a little spreadsheet I put together. This doesn't account for fewer nonresidents applying and the corresponding impact to preference point revenues, which are substantial at $12M. So this is a best case scenario view.

View attachment 307784

Adjust the orange highlighted columns to see how split changes and who shares the burden of the shortfall impact res/nonres license cost.

The fiscal impact on the state is minuscule and not nearly as important as Big 5 tags for resident hunters. Don’t think so? Ask the resident hunters on this thread.

What’s done is done gents. I completely see & understand both sides of the argument. At the end of the day this vote will leave a similar taste that the POTUS Vote left. Yet just like that one this is the new playing field. Those who adapt to it will be successful, those who don’t won’t.

BuzzH

WKR

View attachment 307784

Not even close to correct...

There would be no loss of Region wide NR deer tags, No loss in total NR full price elk tags in the initial draw either.

Loss to pronghorn tags wouldn't be even close to your numbers either...NR's get a lot of tags that drop from the Resident side of the draw in the initial draw, as well as most of the second draw tags as well.

I did similar calculations and the biggest revenue change would be from NR limited entry deer tags (no loss in all the region tags)...about 1.4 million in revenue. Big 5 is $198,000...elk is $0. Pronghorn would be insignificant, but I would say worse case, maybe a loss of $250K.

Raising annual Resident fishing licenses $3 would cover the loss to the big 5 ($222,540)...with about $30k to spare.

Raising Resident full price tags by $10 would generate 1.48 million...room to spare by about $80k.

Before you can calculate 90-10, you have to understand regulation and how WY issues NR tags...you don't.

Last edited:

mhabiger

FNG
The fiscal impact on the state is minuscule and not nearly as important as Big 5 tags for resident hunters. Don’t think so? Ask the resident hunters on this thread.

What’s done is done gents. I completely see & understand both sides of the argument. At the end of the day this vote will leave a similar taste that the POTUS Vote left. Yet just like that one this is the new playing field. Those who adapt to it will be successful, those who don’t won’t.
Yeah the previous 10 pages show residents and nonresidents both really like the Big 5 and every other species. I'm certain we'll never be able to know who its more important to.

Fiscally the big 5 is small compared to antelope, deer and elk which are being consider next for 90-10 split. The only point I'm trying to make is if you want to keep wildlife dollars constant, residents and nonresidents are probably gonna have to pay more. The more tags you shift to residents the more they'll likely have to pay. That probably isn't a bad tradeoff for more tags.