Wyoming G&F, how de we get a voice as NR's?

280ack

FNG
I am curious if anyone else is confused about the new regs (and costs) as they relate to the goals of the WYG&F.
As I understand it the state of Wyoming has created a 3 zone program for NR general tags (only NR) for the purposes of managing elk numbers to better align with biologists goals of individual herds. I've listened to many of the task force meetings and it doesn't seem that the final results, 3 zones, are as effective as the previously discussed 12 or so zones built around herds that consider migration and wintering areas. I would think having more general zones, like mule deer would have a better impact on true management of the herds?
One other issue that the TF looked at /discussed was that residents loudly complain about crowded hunting areas because of NR hunters and not being able to get LE tags because of NR hunters. I haven't seen any proposed solutions to this growing problem.
We as NR hunters pay 26 to 40 times more for a tag, when we win the lottery than do residents who have over the counter options and multiple tags options a year ?
It's very frustrating that all we can do it seems is watch as the state takes it out on the NR.
How long before all states have similar policies ?
Any constructive comments ?

tdhanses

WKR
We don’t, we have to rely on the few residents that are kind enough to speak up for us but the NR has zero voice especially when so many R blame the few of us lucky to hunt there for all the pressure they see.

Hopefully no other states follow the WY model, if all western states only offered around 7,500 elk tags to NR we would never hunt elk.

It’ll be interesting to see how many are willing to spend $2k on the special licenses next year, it’ll sell out but will it drop down to 0pts or 1pts or stay at 4pts to get it that way, $2k for an elk opportunity is more then I’m willing to spend on the tag.

wapitibob

WKR
There were two voices for NR in WY, Outfitters who care about legislation that benefits a hunter that would be paying for their services, and a cpl residents that didn't like seeing nr getting shafted by that one sided legislation. The residents still do some work for nr but don't talk about it much.
Who you support depends on how you hunt, outfitted or diy.

wapitibob

WKR
We don’t, we have to rely on the few residents that are kind enough to speak up for us but the NR has zero voice especially when so many R blame the few of us lucky to hunt there for all the pressure they see.

Hopefully no other states follow the WY model, if all western states only offered around 7,500 elk tags to NR we would never hunt elk.

It’ll be interesting to see how many are willing to spend $2k on the special licenses next year, it’ll sell out but will it drop down to 0pts or 1pts or stay at 4pts to get it that way, $2k for an elk opportunity is more then I’m willing to spend on the tag.

Wy has always sold more than 7250 Elk licenses. Last I saw was almost 13,000. The 7250 was full price, in the initial draw.

np307

Lil-Rokslider
I dont want people from WY commenting on our wildlife legislation so I don't worry about being able to comment on theirs. Does it suck for NRs to get the blame for every wildlife issue in every western state? Sure. But that wildlife belongs to the people of that state. The closest I get to having a legitimate say so is that my tax dollars help pay for a lot of the land that the people of that state use for all sorts of things, wildlife included.

jahaze

FNG
They do solicit comments on the councils web page. I have submitted several over the years...they may have little effect, but there is a way to make your voice heard, even as a NR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jethro

WKR
I don’t expect a voice at their table and I don’t want a NR with a voice at my table. Although not perfect, WY does a lot of things right.

Yes WY residents would like more LQ tags, but there is not a huge disdain for NR like is portrayed here on this forum.

Also, this topic has been beaten to death if you want to search for past threads.

I do agree that 3 general regions is a poor plan and they should have kept more regions.

The task force does not care what nonresident’s have to say. You’re either going to pay the money to play or not. If you don’t, there’s 100 people behind you that will.

The Outfitters will say they care about nonresidents, but if they had their way, the only way nonresident would be able to get a tag is if they went through an outfitter. So don’t trust those welfare leeches any farther than you can throw them.

Reality is nonresident hunters slice of the pie is going to be getting much smaller over the next few years. So please take some time to remember that before you support these influencers, and other douche bags that are constantly harping on that we need more hunters in the field and competing with you for tags.

We didn’t kill a youth cow in fall of ‘22, but we still had a great hunt and the folks in WY treated us well.

In Iowa, wealthy NR, NR influencers, NR celebrities, and other NR types have been trying to exploit trophy whitetail hunting opportunities for at least 20 years. I don’t want these folks influencing herd management here, and conversely I don’t feel entitled to influence management out West. If you feel that strongly about hunting consistently in WY you can always suck it up and move out there.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how blessed I feel to have guaranteed otc tags as an Iowa resident. I think it’s a shame that residents in some states out west don’t have the same opportunity. Giving a NR a tag when a R doesn’t draw one just doesn’t seem right.

OP

280ack

FNG
I guess that my position on having a voice in what happens is due to 49% of the land in WY being federally owned and supported with our tax dollars.

Be patient .....This is where I prove my ignorance. If the state doesn't own all the lands that directly support the animals/fish and they get federal funding to protect and provide for the animals/fish why don't the NR tax payers who fund thiis have a place at the table?

I guess that my position on having a voice in what happens is due to 49% of the land in WY being federally owned and supported with our tax dollars.

Be patient .....This is where I prove my ignorance. If the state doesn't own all the lands that directly support the animals/fish and they get federal funding to protect and provide for the animals/fish why don't the NR tax payers who fund thiis have a place at the table?
You can go walk on the land at anytime.
The state manages the wildlife.

pirogue

WKR
I think a “task force” is only in place to help camouflage the real reason, and voice. One will not find a state that has an outfitter’s and guides assoc(WYOGA) any deeper in bed with the state’s G & F commission.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
Your only voice is your dollars. Stop sending your money to Wyoming.

I now drive through CO instead whenever I can.

Burn or abandon your points. Or just grab your ankles and take it.

manitou1

WKR
We didn’t kill a youth cow in fall of ‘22, but we still had a great hunt and the folks in WY treated us well.

In Iowa, wealthy NR, NR influencers, NR celebrities, and other NR types have been trying to exploit trophy whitetail hunting opportunities for at least 20 years. I don’t want these folks influencing herd management here, and conversely I don’t feel entitled to influence management out West. If you feel that strongly about hunting consistently in WY you can always suck it up and move out there.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how blessed I feel to have guaranteed otc tags as an Iowa resident. I think it’s a shame that residents in some states out west don’t have the same opportunity. Giving a NR a tag when a R doesn’t draw one just doesn’t seem right.
Amen!!!