Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
So how many of you who are talking down on Aron and other “influencers” would actually say any of that to them if they were standing next to you? Better yet who’s going to put their money where their mouth is and not buy any of the products these influencers use since that’s how they get paid? No more kifaru. No more Sitka or First Lite. Anyone?
I wouldn't have this conversation in a room with 30 people, but we're having it here. The way I'd phrase a conversation to somebody is different than I'd phrase it about somebody, because I'd be expecting them to participate. Like it would be super weird for me to reply to your post but phrase it like you weren't in the room.

If the price of ending social media was losing kifaru and first lite and sitka then okay I guess. I've bought a few Kifaru items based on word of mouth, not in instagram's algorithm. A business that relies on the harm that the current iteration of social media brings to stay profitable is unsustainable.

Unfortunately the way that capitalism works in the age of international commerce really undercuts boycots as an effective tool unless you can utilize social media to do it. Ope. Almost like there's some bigger systemic problems here.

Seems like some really sloppy advertising on someone’s part. I guess any publicity is good publicity or so they say.

The whole “surplus killing” thing is an interesting argument. I grew up in areas where fish and game would easily be over harvested. Folks didn’t do it and those that did were frowned upon and accused of selling the harvest.

A literal cornucopia of things to make fun of.
Between the “world renown Escouter” and the “fiscal fitness coach”, there’s a lot of material here. I feel like we could have Rokslide stand up comedy night just off this post alone. In fact, maybe we should do that?

What's the deal with Elkshape Camp? Is it a camp where you make things into the shape of an Elk? I mean, what is...the deal?
Season-3-Episode-8-The-Tape.jpg

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
Social media hunting extends farther than Hanes, Staton, Kifaru, Sitka and First Lite. It’s every manufacturer of every piece of gear we own. It’s every retail outlet like Scheels, Cabelas and Sportsman’s Warehouse. They all have Facebooks and/or Instagrams. They all have pro staff and pump money into social media advertising. We are far past the point of taking away social media and even if it happened, every one of those businesses will hurt from it. So again, shooting ourselves in the foot. We’re all against social media censorship but yet we are over here wanting to shut down influencers and hurting the brands that we buy. Social media isn’t going away, no matter who wants it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So how many of you who are talking down on Aron and other “influencers” would actually say any of that to them if they were standing next to you? Better yet who’s going to put their money where their mouth is and not buy any of the products these influencers use since that’s how they get paid? No more kifaru. No more Sitka or First Lite. Anyone?
I would ask every known hunter the same question.
Does it bother you that we as a collective group are pushing for more and more people to remove a limited resource?
Do you think you are part of the problem? Can your business model be sustained WITHOUT crazy growth in hunter numbers.

And I would ask every hunter, does it bother you that everyone you know with a large hunting platform is profiting from the growth of the sport? What dangers does that present to us as a collective, and what should we be doing about it?

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
so·cial me·di·a
/ˌsōSHəl ˈmēdēə/

websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

Are you suggesting that Rokslide, Archerytalk, Bowsite, saddlehunter etc are all social media? Because they are.

woods89

WKR
I have to say, as someone who has come and hunted CO from the mid-west 3 times, I think the fitness part gets way oversold. Yes, you need to be in shape. No, you do not need to be some BEASTMODE BACKCOUNTRY ANIMAL. It certainly looks like a profitable thing to market, though.

woods89

WKR
so·cial me·di·a
/ˌsōSHəl ˈmēdēə/

websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

We really need some better terms. Like a previous poster said, we're comparing fentanyl with caffeine.
If anybody wants a better understanding of this, Irresistible, a book by Adam Alter, is a good read.

Poser

WKR
How much does the "BADASS Elk Hunter" class cost? Asking for a friend

Bruh, Does it even matter how much it cost?

giphy.gif

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
We really need some better terms. Like a previous poster said, we're comparing fentanyl with caffeine.
If anybody wants a better understanding of this, Irresistible, a book by Adam Alter, is a good read.
I agree with you but there’s a few high ‘n mighty posters on here knocking SM and thought they might have missed those previous posts on how Rokslide isn’t (or is) SM.

I feel like i”m in the twilight zone on this thread.

I do have to acknowledge that this is a good discussion and am pretty happy with the civil debate. A year ago this thread would’ve been locked by page 2 with all the name calling. We’re growing up around here!

so·cial me·di·a
/ˌsōSHəl ˈmēdēə/

Ok, I get it. But you're making a false equivalency. The vast majority of rokslide users are not sponsored, nor do they get paid for each post that mentions a product. Heck, I'd bet 99% of everybody here is anonymous. Hard to develop "your brand" anonymously.

"Social media"wasn't even a term until Facebook, Insta, Twitter came along. Until then it was just web forums, and most of them were TOPIC BASED. Did we socialize, sure, but it wasn't until everybody on the planet got to tweet every other person on a non topic related platform that we got the term.

Rokslide doesn't have algorithms that WHILE YOU'RE BROWSING SOMETHING ELSE, bam! A dead elk in your face!
Social media APPS do have such algorithms. And people there do get paid for post engagement and product placement on their posts. And those people know that dead animals attract engagement. Which increases the drive to kill more animals, and tell others how to do it to "build their brand"

And to everyone concerned about meateater, etc... Stop buying an apple phone. They're clearly anti 2a. So is Google. So is Microsoft. So clearly you can't be on this site without sending your money to a company which is anti gun and anti hunting. Plus Sitka is made overseas and they sponsor dang near every social media influencer doing stupid things.
I'm not for meateater, for Sitka, for kifaru. I'm for products that work, and try to be more deliberate about where I spend my money. Which, spoiler alert has been at first lite, Sitka, kifaru, and many others

Before I delete your post, be sure and let me know when you‘re going to call Aron a douchebag to his face. I‘d like to be there.
Well he did say “sounded like a table full of d-bags”, he didn’t actually say Snyder was one. I wouldn’t insult someone I don’t know, but if I knew the guy I would have no problem telling him “man that sounds kind of douchey” if he said something douchey.

woods89

WKR
I agree with you but there’s a few high ‘n mighty posters on here knocking SM and thought they might have missed those previous posts on how Rokslide isn’t (or is) SM.

I feel like i”m in the twilight zone on this thread.

I do have to acknowledge that this is a good discussion and am pretty happy with the civil debate. A year ago this thread would’ve been locked by page 2 with all the name calling. We’re growing up around here!
Sure, and I will absolutely agree that the same negative things can play out on forums as well.
The answer is not to go 100% Matt Rinella. Nor is it to instagram every aspect of your daily life. Nobody has this completely figured out, but I think he raised a lot of valid questions. I've learned a little from both sides of this.

RyanT26

WKR
Before I delete your post, be sure and let me know when you‘re going to call Aron a douchebag to his face. I‘d like to be there.
You can do whatever you like. I’ve clearly upset you. Perhaps I should’ve worded it better. It sounded like he had his feelings hurt because he felt like he was being called out by Matt and so he was lashing out.
If someone is acting childish I don’t think it’s out of bounds to tell them hey you’re acting childish, you’re better than this.

I’m sure he’s been called worse. As I’m sure he would advise me he doesn’t really give two craps with my opinion of him and I would explain that I feel the same about him. It’s called being adult. He’s not Kong nor is he untouchable.

Last edited:

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't have this conversation in a room with 30 people, but we're having it here. The way I'd phrase a conversation to somebody is different than I'd phrase it about somebody, because I'd be expecting them to participate. Like it would be super weird for me to reply to your post but phrase it like you weren't in the room.
You serious!? You just did exactly that to me in a different thread

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You can do whatever you like. I’ve clearly upset you. Perhaps I should’ve worded it better. It sounded like he had his feelings hurt because he felt like he was being called out by Matt and so he was lashing out.
If someone is acting like an childish I don’t think it’s out of bounds to tell them hey you’re acting childish, you’re better than this.

I’m sure he’s been called worse. As I’m sure he would advise me he doesn’t really give two craps with my opinion of him and I would explain that I feel the same about him. It’s called being adult. He’s not Kong nor is he untouchable.

Calling someone a douche bag is different than saying they are acting childish.

We just don’t like the name-calling on here (it’s in our rules) because it tends to drop these discussions into anarchy.

So please refrain.

Better yet who’s going to put their money where their mouth is and not buy any of the products these influencers use since that’s how they get paid? No more kifaru. No more Sitka or First Lite. Anyone?
You got me. It's going to be so hard to resist especially when they come up with genius pieces of gear like a short sleeve puffy jacket with a sideways zipper for the awesome price of $400 :ROFLMAO:

SmartSelect_20211215-095727_Chrome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.