Most Reliable New 250/2500 Series Truck

z987k

WKR
Until the EPA gets out of its own way and let common sense engineering take place to handle diesel emissions then not one manufacturer is going to be able to claim reliability in my opinion. If it’s not def issues it’s dpf issues. If not everything around those systems is working perfectly then they fail. I’m all for emissions deletes but that is getting very hard to do and expensive if caught. Unless it’s absolutely necessary to need the towing capability of a diesel then a gas truck is the answer.
Just wait until the particulate filters get put on gas vehicles.

bpa556

Lil-Rokslider
Not the 2500 Chevy gas trucks. I have them as fleet vehicles. Every one of them has had to have the AC replaced before 30,000 miles. The entire system. Have one that’s been in the shop since February. Got it out last week and it ran for one whole day and it died in a job site.

Teach your drivers how to properly use the system. Windows UP, recirculate ON. Windows DOWN, recirculate OFF. This is the biggest killer of fleet truck a/c’s across ALL makes (except Toyota because no profit-driven corporation would intentionally buy a fleet of garbage).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpa556

Lil-Rokslider
Ford moving on from the 6.2 and 6 speed hurt my feelings. Those things were absolutely indestructible and got fairly good mileage.

I have a friend getting close to 400k miles on his, and he works it to death. 38 foot gooseneck way overloaded with round bales, big tractors, cow trailers, leaves it idling all day, etc. Such a great drivetrain.

Same with the GM 6.0 and 6-speed tranny. Very nearly indestructible.

Except the fuel mileage.

Neither the GM 6.0, nor the ford 6.2 ever sniffed anywhere near “fairly good” fuel mileage.

bpa556

Lil-Rokslider
Ford, we miss treat a fleet of 6.2 trucks from 11-new and they all last 400k+ with little issues besides wear items and oil changes.

Currently own a 21 6.2 with 3.73 gears, put a small level on it with tremor rims and 35s. Getting 14.5 avg in northern WY with 70mph speed limit. I got 12 pulling a mini van on a car trailer, weight was around 7k total the other day on a 140mi trip. No issue keeping speed or getting up to speed. Tows my sxs on a 16ft car trailer like it isn’t there.

Uhm…no.

The statement “from 11-new and they all last 400k+” tells me:
1 - You’re a relatively new employee with no actual knowledge of fleet data.
2 - The company you work for has a minuscule fleet and is teetering on the edge of solvency.

No stable company is going to run a fleet of light-duty trucks to that kind of mileage. Asset depreciation zero-sums LONG before those numbers.

Your statement of getting 12 mpg towing a vehicle on a trailer @ 70 mph with a Ford 6.2 is absolute hog-wash.

There’s not a Ford 6.2 in existence that will get nearly that mileage towing ANYTHING at 70 mph. MAYBE 9 mpg towing an empty car dolly. Maybe…

Uhm…no.

2 - The company you work for has a minuscule fleet and is teetering on the edge of solvency.

No stable company is going to run a fleet of light-duty trucks to that kind of mileage. Asset depreciation zero-sums LONG before those numbers.

Your statement of getting 12 mpg towing a vehicle on a trailer @ 70 mph with a Ford 6.2 is absolute hog-wash.

There’s not a Ford 6.2 in existence that will get nearly that mileage towing ANYTHING at 70 mph. MAYBE 9 mpg towing an empty car dolly. Maybe…

lol what ever you say man I guess I can’t read odometers in my work vehicles at the 2nd biggest railroad in the US. And apparently I can’t use a calculator or do simple math. **** me this whole forum sucks sometimes

IDVortex

WKR
Uhm…no.

I worked for a company for almost 10 years, the owner never wanted to sale rigs. They had trucks that were still be used that were almost 15 years old, by the time I left the company, I was given a company work rig that by the time I left had almost 300k on it in 2 years. They still own it to this day.

Not all places sale or get rid of vehicles every 2 years or at a certain mileage point. But who knows, you probably own a billion dollar company and knows exactly how a fleet should be ran.

Marble

WKR
lol what ever you say man I guess I can’t read odometers in my work vehicles at the 2nd biggest railroad in the US. And apparently I can’t use a calculator or do simple math. **** me this whole forum sucks sometimes

Don't worry about that guy. I read his post and just SMH.

Thank you for sharing your info with the OP.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Howdy Folks,

Need some recommendations on which brand of truck you’d look for if purchasing a newer 250/2500 series truck. Currently have a Toyota Tundra and really value Toyotas reliability. Unfortunately it looks like Toyota will never produce a 3/4 ton truck so I need to look elsewhere. I really like the way the GMC Sierra 2500 AT4s and the F250 Tremors look but don’t have any real knowledge on their reliability. I’m very wary of reliability concerns as my first truck was a 2017 Chevy Colorado and it was an absolute giant piece of shit that left me stranded in the woods before I swapped over to a Tacoma.

Any opinions or data yall could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Are you looking for new or used? New diesel the F250 is far superior to Ram and GM.

mentioned, gas is much more reliable than diesel these days.

Personally, unless you really need the pulling power of a diesel regularly, I would get a F250 7.3 gasser.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a 2004.5 GMC 2500HD and now my. Current 2016 2500HD. Never had an issue with either truck. I’ll drive the 16 until it dies. I can’t see paying $100k for a truck now days. If my engine dies I’d either rebuild it or by a crate engine and replace it. I really like the Duramax Allison combination

I have a 18 Ram 2500 Cummins. 180k miles on it, haven’t had any engine or “big” issues but little things have plagued it, several have left me stranded at inopportune times.
AC compressor and motor went out, 3 starters, O2 sensors have gone out twice, EGR valve cracked, electric/computer issues with dash going out or losing power, and several other things I’m forgetting. All that stuff adds up to a lot of money, on top of general diesel maintenance. I’ll be looking to replace in the next two years and not sure what direction I’ll go, but probably not ram. Sounds like I should look at a 2500/3500 gasser.

AZ8

WKR
Last October, I bought a brand new 2023 Tradesman 2500 Ram Crew Cab 4x4 with the 6.4 Hemi.

Haven’t towed anything heavy yet, just my utility trailer loaded with my Can Am Defender and it’s been decent on gas milage. But I knew going in gas mileage wasn’t the reason I bought it, so my expectations are grounded.

Been a great truck so far and being a Tradesman, it’s not loaded with every imaginable electronic creature comfort known to man. But that’s ok. Less things to break!

Choupique

WKR
Neither the GM 6.0, nor the ford 6.2 ever sniffed anywhere near “fairly good” fuel mileage

My 6.0 and 4 speed was fuel hog. My 6.2 and 6 speed with 3.73's would get 17 mpg if I babied it. I could easily get 15. That's damn good for a 4x4 F250

Fatcamp

WKR
Same with the GM 6.0 and 6-speed tranny. Very nearly indestructible.

Except the fuel mileage.

Neither the GM 6.0, nor the ford 6.2 ever sniffed anywhere near “fairly good” fuel mileage.

I couldn't care less about mpg. When I have all my stuff hooked up reliability is all I care about.

Reactions: AZ8

Fatcamp

WKR
Uhm…no.

I get 8-9 tandem pulling. My stuff is pretty light but still.

ianpadron

WKR
Every single buddy of mine, and I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE, with a newer diesel truck has had that thing in the shop multiple times. All 3 brands, usually DEF related. Limp mode at elevation multiple times on a RAM, all types of codes thrown on a Duramax And Powerstroke...headache after headache

If I ever pull the trigger on a super duty truck it will be deleted the day I buy it.

eoperator

WKR
I have a 21 at4 duramax with ~74k miles it has been a delightful ownership, the only problem has been the multi pro tailgate switch (replaced under warranty) and the the front end crumples very easily while hitting deer. Take it for what it's worth but my 33k mile average fuel economy is at 18.6, plowing snow- pulling trailers and daily driving. I'm not going to post my daily driver average mileage because it would most likely jinx myself.

1000001476.jpg

All of them will you leave you stranded/go into limp mode at the worst time. You will want a good warranty.

GM and Ford are pretty much the same anymore. Big difference is suspension (independent vs solid). I wouldn’t rate one more reliable than the other, they just have different minir problems.

Dodge drive train still sucks and will fall apart (transmission/ball joints/ujoints). Keep that in mind when comparing prices.

Unless you need the diesel for towing, a gasser would be more “reliable”.

My 2012 Cummins RFE68 with 235,000 on it disagrees with you.

I’m about to change my first set of ball joints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro