New Truck--Dependability

tt280AI

FNG
My only complaint after the initial purchase, not even close to rated fuel economy

Beauseph

FNG
Love my 5.0 F150. 130k miles and I've changed tires, oil, and put gas in it.

One day I'll upgrade to a f250 with the newer 7.3 gas.

Drswoll69

FNG
I have messed around with having older, used trucks for too long. Ready to step up to something more modern.

I almost purchased a Tundra back in 21, but was talked into holding off for their newer 22 model. The 22 Tundras dropped and now all I hear are horror stories.

I've read that Chevy and GMC have gone down hill too.

I've been looking at the F150 with the 5.0 V8. I've heard thats their most reliable engine.

Looking for input so I can narrow my search down.

Thanks!
Tundra all the way

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I should disclose they had a promotion when I bought it of 75 cent oil changes for life. I don't think they expected me keep it this long.
LOL. Same for my 35 year old Toyota. The dealer replaced the muffler years ago with a lifetime warranty. They've replaced it twice more since then, and probably another coming up soon because of that warranty. They NEVER would have expected the original owner to still have this truck at 35 years.

Same for the "lifetime warranty" Bilstein shocks I put on 30 some years ago. I remember calling the company I bought them from and asked about warranty replacement. When I told them when I bought them, they immediately said "Oh, well you would also have to have the original receipt from 25 years ago". My reply........"Oh ya, I got that". They replied....."You do!? Well, just send them back after you put the new ones on with a copy of the receipt, and we'll inspect them and credit you the cost of the new ones if they're bad". They were all leaking oil, and I got four new shocks out of it.

You’re averaging 3-5 mpg better on the f150? Sounds like the tundra was horrid and the f150 is terrible.
I did a 350 mile trip yesterday into southern Colorado, going from 5k ft up to 10k ft and averaged 20 mpg in my 21 Tundra.

For comparison, in my 2019 3.5 Eco my around town avg was 19-22mpg but on road trips that dropped to 15mpg.

TaperPin

WKR
Whatever brand or model, the cost of major replacement parts is really ridiculous, and all dealer service departments seem to follow the same playbook as the rip off Sears shops.

My daughter in law took her 40k mile RAV4 in before a long road trip just as a preventative look over, and they recommended $3,500 in work to the wheel bearings and brakes. When pressed, the mechanic had no reason to recommend wheel bearings, and by his own admission the brakes weren’t worn to the point replacement is suggested by corporate Toyota service.

Fast forward one year and a different Toyota dealer, and my wife was talked into a $900 50k service for her RAV4. When pressed to show me some documentation that this vehicle requires this much work at 50k they couldn’t - all the factory service schedule shows is an oil change.

My new 4Runner will never see the inside of a dealer service department after the free oil changes run out. I’ll take every opportunity to repeat what a rip off they are, until I’m dead - they won’t be changing anytime soon.

Azone

WKR
17 year old Duramax with about 302,800 miles on it. I finally need to rebuild the transfer case but regular services and not driving like a drunk teenager have proven worthwhile in it. I’m considering a newer used truck but holy shit have people lost their minds with these prices. I think I’ll just dump some money into the old girl until she gives up the ghost.

Yoder

WKR
If you have it serviced at the dealer the records are kept by Toyota. You can see the records on your Toyota app on your phone.

The app for your phone tells you how many miles on the truck, miles to empty on fuel, whether your doors are locked, tailgate down, etc. Even tells the battery condition of your key FOB. Everything is tracked, even your driving habits (which can be turned off thankfully).

The app informs you of your next scheduled service. You can add your own maintenance records also.

Say you are away on a business trip and the wife needs something out of your truck or gets locked out while shopping... I can lock/unlock my Tundra from 3000 miles away via my phone.
Who in the hell would want this? Is it Toyota or the FBI? I never take any vehicle of mine to a dealer unless I want to pay 3x more for the same service I can get from a local mechanic.

My 2024 F450 8' box crew cab dually with the diesel gets as good of fuel mileage as your Tundra's...lol.....and its far more capable and it weighs 9000 pounds empty. Toyota must have a lot of investments in the gas companies. My buddy has a Tundra..its terrible on fuel and rides no better than my F450. He LIKES my truck...lol.

Ucsdryder

WKR
My 2024 F450 8' box crew cab dually with the diesel gets as good of fuel mileage as your Tundra's...lol.....and its far more capable and it weighs 9000 pounds empty. Toyota must have a lot of investments in the gas companies. My buddy has a Tundra..its terrible on fuel and rides no better than my F450. He LIKES my truck...lol.
Whatd you pay for that f450?

KurtR

WKR
Haha take that dually off the pavement and see how it does. Or out on the lake ice fishing. They are good for towing that’s about it. We have 12 of them at work and if they go to a pit they get stuck really easy.

Bcleck90

WKR
Picked up a 2021 Tundra with 22k miles. I was between a new Ford/Toyota truck, new 4Runner, or used 20-21 Tundra with low mileage.

May need to start a GoFundMe for gas soon but I’m happy with it. It’s a tough market for reliable 4x4’s.

ray12515

FNG
I wouldn’t recommend a f150 ecoboost. I’ve had two in a row that I needed to do either timing chain or cam phasers. Cost a small fortune. I’ll probably do a tundra next time, hopefully they get this issue fixed and are reliable again

I wouldn’t recommend a f150 ecoboost. I’ve had two in a row that I needed to do either timing chain or cam phasers. Cost a small fortune. I’ll probably do a tundra next time, hopefully they get this issue fixed and are reliable again
What year and motors were those f150's? And how many miles before this happened to them? Just curious

ray12515

FNG
I wouldn’t recommend a f150 ecoboost. I’ve had two in a row that I needed to do either timing chain or cam phasers. Cost a small fortune. I’ll probably do a tundra next time, hopefully they get this issue fixed and are reliable
What year and motors were those f150's? And how many miles before this happened to them? Just curious
First one was a 2013 Lariat 3.5 ecoboost, it needed a timing chain at 60k miles. Second was a 2018 platinum also 3.5 ecoboost, did cam phasers just under 100k miles.