Advice on a used truck 25-30k

Savagenut

WKR
I have a 09 Silverado pushing 220k. Great truck. Never leaves me stranded. But it’s got serious rust and it’s going to need 3-4k in work.

So I’m Looking at used trucks under 30k and prefer under 100k miles.

Needs to be full-size and tow 9000#. I tow a large tractor four times per year so not a lot of towing.

Newer 1500 Chevy /gmc seem to have all kinds of issues garbage trans, AFM valves etc

Ford 3.5 seems to still have the cam phasers issue

So what should I be looking for? Should I go 2500
And get the 6.0 or f250 and get the 6.2?

Tundra?

Ram?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Savagenut

WKR
Kind of what I’m thinking. A lot of options though

A Tundra under 100k miles and under $30k will be hard to find if you’re looking for a crew cab 4x4.

Wheels

WKR
1/2 ton towing 9000 lbs is going to be a struggle. I’ve pulled close to that with a full fertilizer buggy and it’s not fun. That’s with a F150 with 5.0 V8.

Nockdown

FNG
I’d get a 6.2 half ton before a 3/4 with the 6.slow.
Mileage isn’t much different than the 5.3 and way more power. I wouldn’t waste the fuel to tow a couple times a year with a 6.0

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
I own a small business that goes through a lot of trucks, it would be easier to tell you what I haven’t owned, I have no experience with the latest generation of new Tundra’s yet, that being said I will never own anything else for my personal vehicles after having Toyota Tundras, good luck!!

RedGreen

FNG
Does it have to be a crew cab? Tundra extended cab is the roomiest of the 4 brands (not counting Nissan)

100K miles isn't anything for a tundra if it was maintained. Id buy one up to 220K miles if it had meticulous maintenance records, and have no reservations about it going 220k more.

A new Chevrolet or Ram is very much more likely to have engine issues, rear end issues, and wiring issues.

New Fords were reported rusting in dealer lots waiting for buyers... nuf said...

Probably a 14-21 Tundra is still your best bet. Sure it is a bit more than the other make with some mileage. That's because they largely have much longer service lives than the other trucks do. Basically, you pay now with a more expensive truck or pay later on a new truck again or in increased maintenance/repair costs.

I went through this whole process about 15 months ago and got a tundra with 2.5k (no, not a typo) miles for 38k. I however traveled 1500 miles to get it, and it has an 8' bed, which to my understanding is the least desirable configuration. I personally needed the bed for my use cases. An extended can standard bed tundra should be available for less than a crew cab.

KenLee

WKR
1/2 ton towing 9000 lbs is going to be a struggle. I’ve pulled close to that with a full fertilizer buggy and it’s not fun. That’s with a F150 with 5.0 V8.
I've pulled a 12,000 pound combo of trailer, tractor and implements around for 15 years with a half ton 99 classic gmc, but it's not ideal. Wouldn't want to be pulling it over 50 miles one way. 350 was a helluva engine.

axeforce6

WKR
Tundra will do everything you want it to. And last for a long time. It’ll be worth more than any other brand at the end as well. You may pay a little more but you’ll get more back.

RedGreen

FNG
Another thing. All the new Ford 5.0 V8s in F150s have cylinder deactivation (2020+). Its not the same design as Chevrolet, but it still will cause issues with longevity and reliability. I took a huge deep dive on the topic. That killed any prospect of a new F150 for me.

OP
S

Savagenut

WKR
Another thing. All the new Ford 5.0 V8s in F150s have cylinder deactivation (2020+). Its not the same design as Chevrolet, but it still will cause issues with longevity and reliability. I took a huge deep dive on the topic. That killed any prospect of a new F150 for me.

The new 3.5 is a beast. Seems like 21 and up cam phasers have been fixed. But still out of my budget