Most Reliable New 250/2500 Series Truck

I bought a 23 F-250 with the 6.8 gas motor after driving a 7.3 gas. Couldn't tell the difference so bought the cheaper version. I only have 10,000 miles on it so can't speak to long term reliability. I drove Tundras before (still have my 2013) so the new truck has a lot to live up to. Ford electronics (sync 4) seem to be the issue with the new trucks according to Ford truck forums but the drive trains are proving to be very reliable. I'm happy with mine for towing and long distance trips but I use the Tundra for around town and hunting where it can get beat up. The Ford 6.2 motors are very solid and may be an option for you if you can find a low mileage one. Good luck.

I got out of the diesel game after my Ford 350 left me stranded…. 3 times.

I have a Chevy 2500 6.6 gas. So far so good. Tow a 12k 5th wheel with it. Sure it drinks the fuel, but it was $15k cheaper than a diesel in the same trim. I can buy a shitload of gas for $15k.

I don’t know what the differences are but mine is a ‘21 GMC AT4 3500 6.6 Duramax and 10 speed Allison. I put 30-40k miles a year and I’ve only done oil changes and rotated tires.

It does have air bags in the back and a cognito suspension with fox shocks. Not lifted though.

I absolutely love the interior compared to older gmc and chevys.

I haul a sxs at least weekly for work, a skid steer with mucher and a 14k lb mini x every couple months.

19mpg highway and 15 in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fatcamp

WKR
Most reliable these days would be a gas model.
If you don't mind used, the Super Duty's with the 6.2s run forever and don't break. Mpg is about what a Tundra 5.7 gets.

In their infinite wisdom Ford retired the 6.2 and six speed series.

Fatcamp

WKR
Ford moving on from the 6.2 and 6 speed hurt my feelings. Those things were absolutely indestructible and got fairly good mileage.

I have a friend getting close to 400k miles on his, and he works it to death. 38 foot gooseneck way overloaded with round bales, big tractors, cow trailers, leaves it idling all day, etc. Such a great drivetrain.

Ford is stupid. I swear they discontinued it because it worked well.

Fitzwho

WKR
That sucks! We’ve had the exact opposite experience. And AC gets used hard. Fleets based in Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would guess my problems have been based on the amount of idle time. My guys basically live in their trucks. 20+ hours of idle. I have one newer truck that hasn’t had the issue (south Texas) but it’s the only 22-23 truck I have that hasn’t had the AC replaced and the only one that isn’t constantly idling.

Fitzwho

WKR
Have yall had any other issues besides the AC? And what year are the trucks?
Most of them are 23 models. We just sent that one back in. Not sure what’s wrong with it.

But having trucks in the shop for 6 months at a time to have complete AC system replacements (1 truck had it done twice) is not handy when trying to run a business.

IDVortex

WKR
1000010746.jpg
One thing with the newer 6.7 powerstrokes, is unless they went back to the gasket oil pan gaskets, make sure when you reseal the oil pans you don't drop the trans on your wrist. Ends up being cheaper to have a shop do the work after a er visit.

rodney482

WKR
My sister bought a new powestroke F350 for $108k last month, AC went out in the first 500 miles and is on a national back order for 6 months or something, lol.
Bad batch of compressors in the 24's

Other brands must use same compressor

rodney482

WKR
Most of them are 23 models. We just sent that one back in. Not sure what’s wrong with it.

But having trucks in the shop for 6 months at a time to have complete AC system replacements (1 truck had it done twice) is not handy when trying to run a business.
The AC issues on the super duty is almost all 24's.

Marble

WKR
We have been using the F350 since 2011 with the 6.7 motor. I can't recall a drivetrain issue ever. Occasionally, we have had an odd repair needed in the first year. No DEF issues. We drive them until approximately 200k before we sell them. We tow and haul daily with them. Currently, I have around 12 of them, and I buy between 2 and 4 trucks a year.

I think the GMs have better creature comforts. But mine is a King Ranch and it's like a cowboy Cadillac.

There are tons of guys that swear the new DEF systems are unreliable and problematic, but in the dozens of trucks we've had since 2011, we haven't experienced problems.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
Fever Buck
We have been using the F350 since 2011 with the 6.7 motor. I can't recall a drivetrain issue ever. Occasionally, we have had an odd repair needed in the first year. No DEF issues. We drive them until approximately 200k before we sell them. We tow and haul daily with them. Currently, I have around 12 of them, and I buy between 2 and 4 trucks a year.

I think the GMs have better creature comforts. But mine is a King Ranch and it's like a cowboy Cadillac.

There are tons of guys that swear the new DEF systems are unreliable and problematic, but in the dozens of trucks we've had since 2011, we haven't experienced problems.

Good to know. What years are most of your trucks currently?

Marble

WKR
Good to know. What years are most of your trucks currently?
Currently, I think I have one 16' left, one 17', a couple 19's, and the rest are newer.

In 2020, they went to a 10-speed transmission. Better power band, towing and and mpg. I would suggest trying for this one. They also updated the power steering. It drives nicer than the previous year.

We have four 2023 trucks. One has an issue currently with the AC clutch failing. Seems like it wouldn't be a big deal, but there is a parts shortage, and I haven't been updated on when the part should be in.

We just went on a trip from far northern CA to San Diego and averaged almost 21 mpg going 80 when we could, slower in the LA traffic.

My 2020 got 19.2 mpg, with a camper shell and rack, going to Tahoe and back a few weeks ago. Seems like I average 17.5 on day to day driving.

OP
Fever Buck
Currently, I think I have one 16' left, one 17', a couple 19's, and the rest are newer.

In 2020, they went to a 10-speed transmission. Better power band, towing and and mpg. I would suggest trying for this one. They also updated the power steering. It drives nicer than the previous year.

We have four 2023 trucks. One has an issue currently with the AC clutch failing. Seems like it wouldn't be a big deal, but there is a parts shortage, and I haven't been updated on when the part should be in.

We just went on a trip from far northern CA to San Diego and averaged almost 21 mpg going 80 when we could, slower in the LA traffic.

My 2020 got 19.2 mpg, with a camper shell and rack, going to Tahoe and back a few weeks ago. Seems like I average 17.5 on day to day driving.

Good info. Thank you.

IDVortex

WKR

Dang, I wish I had that kind of millage with my 17 6.7 🤦‍♂️

Marble

WKR
Dang, I wish I had that kind of millage with my 17 6.7
It seems like the newer 10-speed transmission is the main difference. Drivability, performance, and mileage are all improved.