Most Reliable New 250/2500 Series Truck

Take this however you will...they are all overpriced shitboxes anymore...buy the good warranty and plan on unloading it when it's up.
They look alot nicer inside, but they cut costs other places.
I've worked on them all for over 20yrs, but I don't see alot of them until they are out of warranty so cant give you much on "brand new"...but can tell you what I see 3-5yrs down the road.
Ford got their ball joints figured out on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, the steering linkage still falls apart.
6.7l/6r140 was very solid combo diesel wise, though have seen some lifter/cam failures, usually on tuned or neglected trucks.
Most emmissions system problems are on trucks that sit alot, do short trips, extended idle times and don't get worked. The newer GM joint venture 10 spd trans is questionable. Issues with bushing in a clutch drum slipping and cutting off fluid flow...most being caught under warranty and have been redesigned but I don't recall what year that took place...still relatively unproven, but it is a big stout looking hunk of transmission.
Ford cut corners on bearings in rear axles, like Chinese and Korean bearings...I rebuild more ford differentials than all other brands combined. Many under 100k miles. I also replace more AC compressors on Ford trucks than anything else...and yes, the newer ones have been hard to get or backordered. 7.3l gas motor still unproven for longevity but has had some big issues, see if they get that sorted out and make them last. More issues with electrical connectors and corrosion on newer ford's than the others.
GM...lots of Chinese parts from them these days. go through alot of hvac actuators in particular, though not a deal breaker type of thing. They didn't skimp on the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks as much as the 1/2 ton. If someone gave me a 1/2ton GM I'd sell it to first person came along wanting it...1/2 gm quality went way down from '07 on.
The 6.0/6.2 in 3/4ton truck form with 6l90 I haven't seen near as many issues with lifters and transmission failures that have plagued the aluminum block 5.3/6.2l engines and 6l80 transmission. time will tell which path the 6.6l/10L90 follows.
New rumor is the new 6.2l aluminum block engines in suburbans and escalade are eating main bearings and breaking crankshaft, hoping those types of issues don't migrate to the 6.6L
Be leary of GM if you Do have warranty issues, things are still hitting backorder alot, especially big things like engines and transmissions. They are also one if the worst for discontinuing parts for vehicles over 7-8 years old.

RAM/Fiat/Chrysler/stellantis...what ever the hell you want to call them...they are confused. Things have not been good there for awhile. Quality has suffered. The 6.4l hasn't been great long term. If I remember correctly it's one of Jasper's biggest sellers for reman engines. See some transmission issues, mostly in the diesels. The cummins is not without its heartaches...cp4 disasters, grid heater studs getting sucked in and wiping out engines, vgt turbo failures.
RAm would be last on my list for alot of reasons. I've got a 2011 Ram 3500 diesel and it's the last Ram and newest diesel I'll ever own.

The very long of it short... If I were looking for a newer truck I'd be looking for a low miles 6.2l/6spd F-250...by far the most solid/long term reliable option I've seen for a 3/4ton truck. I'd pay a premium for one of those vs new anything these days...maybe I'm just getting old, grumpy and senile but the new stuff just does nothing for me. To much techy BS and not enough quality on the important stuff...and I just think they are all ugly right now especially for the prices... $80-100k for a pickup truck is just ridiculous. Spend half that for a good used one, then $10-15k on a decent run around car and use the truck when you need a truck and don't use it up just getting from A to B would be my suggestion, no truck is cheap to fix when it's broke or used up anymore.
Good luck on your search...oh...and if your looking used...especially if its white...make sure you check engine hours. Have seen few guys get burned unknowingly buying used fleet trucks under 100k miles but 2-300k worth of idle time on them, if your not well versed in what to watch for, pay for an inspection at reputable independent shop.

Matt5266

WKR
Take this however you will...they are all overpriced shitboxes anymore...buy the good warranty and plan on unloading it when it's up.
I've worked on them all for over 20yrs, but I don't see alot of them until they are out of warranty so cant give you much on "brand new"...but can tell you what I see 3-5yrs down the road.
Ford got their ball joints figured out on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, the steering linkage still falls apart.
6.7l/6r140 was very solid combo diesel wise, though have seen some lifter/cam failures, usually on tuned or neglected trucks.
Most emmissions system problems are on trucks that sit alot, do short trips, extended idle times and don't get worked. The newer GM joint venture 10 spd trans is questionable. Issues with bushing in a clutch drum slipping and cutting off fluid flow...most being caught under warranty and have been redesigned but I don't recall what year that took place...still relatively unproven, but it is a big stout looking hunk of transmission.
Ford cut corners on bearings in rear axles, like Chinese and Korean bearings...I rebuild more ford differentials than all other brands combined. Many under 100k miles. I also replace more AC compressors on Ford trucks than anything else...and yes, the newer ones have been hard to get or backordered. 7.3l gas motor still unproven for longevity but has had some big issues, see if they get that sorted out and make them last. More issues with electrical connectors and corrosion on newer ford's than the others.
GM...lots of Chinese parts from them these days. go through alot of hvac actuators in particular, though not a deal breaker type of thing. They didn't skimp on the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks as much as the 1/2 ton. If someone gave me a 1/2ton GM I'd sell it to first person came along wanting it...1/2 gm quality went way down from '07 on.
The 6.0/6.2 in 3/4ton truck form with 6l90 I haven't seen near as many issues with lifters and transmission failures that have plagued the aluminum block 5.3/6.2l engines and 6l80 transmission. time will tell which path the 6.6l/10L90 follows.
New rumor is the new 6.2l aluminum block engines in suburbans and escalade are eating main bearings and breaking crankshaft, hoping those types of issues don't migrate to the 6.6L
Be leary of GM if you Do have warranty issues, things are still hitting backorder alot, especially big things like engines and transmissions. They are also one if the worst for discontinuing parts for vehicles over 7-8 years old.

RAM/Fiat/Chrysler/stellantis...what ever the hell you want to call them...they are confused. Things have not been good there for awhile. Quality has suffered. The 6.4l hasn't been great long term. If I remember correctly it's one of Jasper's biggest sellers for reman engines. See some transmission issues, mostly in the diesels. The cummins is not without its heartaches...cp4 disasters, grid heater studs getting sucked in and wiping out engines, vgt turbo failures.
RAm would be last on my list for alot of reasons. I've got a 2011 Ram 3500 diesel and it's the last Ram and newest diesel I'll ever own.

The very long of it short... If I were looking for a newer truck I'd be looking for a low miles 6.2l/6spd F-250...by far the most solid/long term reliable option I've seen for a 3/4ton truck. I'd pay a premium for one of those vs new anything these days...maybe I'm just getting old, grumpy and senile but the new stuff just does nothing for me. To much techy BS and not enough quality on the important stuff...and I just think they are all ugly right now especially for the prices... $80-100k for a pickup truck is just ridiculous. Spend half that for a good used one, then $10-15k on a decent run around car and use the truck when you need a truck and don't use it up just getting from A to B would be my suggestion, no truck is cheap to fix when it's broke or used up anymore.
Good luck on your search...oh...and if your looking used...especially if its white...make sure you check engine hours. Have seen few guys get burned unknowingly buying used fleet trucks under 100k miles but 2-300k worth of idle time on them, if your not well versed in what to watch for, pay for an inspection at reputable independent shop.
Some solid info right here. That being said not sure I'll ever sell my 03 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins. Basically a new truck at this point after building it out. It's been solid. Most stuff was done as a preventative.

Excellent point about most of the problems of modern emission equipped diesels having issues because they aren’t worked.

Everyone thinks they need a lifted diesel for their mall crawler and that is not what they were intended for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Some solid info right here. That being said not sure I'll ever sell my 03 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins. Basically a new truck at this point after building it out. It's been solid. Most stuff was done as a preventative.
Ya I kinda jumped the gun and saved up. Had a trans built to handle the power I knew I would make on the toy truck. I had a shift kit in but I knew it was on borrowed time.

5k for a trans is nothing compared to 80-100k for a new truck. If guys knew what they are doing and looking for you can buy a super clean 03-07 common rail and could have freedom racing build you an engine for 10k and trans builder a trans for 5-8k and have a full blow race truck, street truck, hualer, farm truck, whatever you wanna call it to last 500k and be in it a 1/4 of the cost of a new truck if you wanna add power and get wild.

Or just buy a clean used one and plan on doing light maintenance sincerely are 20 years old now. I’ve said to numerous times on here I won’t own a diesel after 07. They are nightmares.

Last edited:
w
My 2012 Cummins RFE68 with 235,000 on it disagrees with you.

I’m about to change my first set of ball joints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Consider yourself lucky! 2014 didn’t make it past 30k it was a lemon and the 2018 had over $15k in warranty work done before 100k miles. Everything was suspension/transmission/u-joint related. Trucks prior to that didn’t really need much work until 150-200k miles, which is expected.

OP
Fever Buck

Man, this is awesome info. Thank you! Sounds like (and correct me if I’m wrong) look for the Ford up to 2018 with the 6.2 6 speed or potentially a newer GM if you have to but buy the warranty.

Man, this is awesome info. Thank you! Sounds like (and correct me if I’m wrong) look for the Ford up to 2018 with the 6.2 6 speed or potentially a newer GM if you have to but buy the warranty.
If I was looking for newer 3/4ton, most reliable drive train...yes, 6.2l f250.
I very honestly don't have any kind of brand loyalty. I dont care what badge is on them, they are good or they arent, and none of them are perfect...but I really don't like GM and Ram/stellantis anymore for reasons ontop of quality the biggest being down range post warranty support for what they sell. Ford is definitely better there, but still lacking.
Toyota has hands down had the best oem parts availability for older models.

I have a cousin that's a design engineer for GM, mainly cadillac...I give him a hard time everytime i see him but even he will admit It's form over function across the board with GM.
The only thing I'd consider other than the f250 would be a pre '22 Tundra 5.7l. They still have their issues but hardly ever any major mechanical issues not due to neglect or abuse to well over 200k miles...OP stated new/newer 3/4 ton so i left that out. 5.0l/6r80 f150 not a terrible option either though.
They are close, but Tundra definitely not 3/4ton, especially their weak ass rear leaf springs.

There are exceptions to every rule...just throwing some input from experience out there.

As I've said before, I don't envy anyone looking for a truck these days.

a lot of truth in this post. sadly.

Choupique

WKR
will admit It's form over function across the board with GM.

It is with all the American diesels anymore. The reality is that the sexy stuff sells since they're basically a status symbol for American men now. The margins are big, and the people who are buying and rebuying them proved it. They COULD build an ultra reliable and competitively priced 1 ton. They aren't, because it would cost them more to build a sexy version, and that would not be competitively priced.

It's nearly gotten to Veblen economics with big diesel American pickup trucks.

jc123

FNG
thanks for the info, ive been thinking about getting a truck and this is good perspective..

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
Ill be able to report back pretty soon on a 24 F-350 Tremor HO 6.7. I have put 18k on it in 6 months without any hang ups yet but I still get nervous taking it in the woods. I went from the best truck you can buy (5.7 Tundra) to this for the hauling capability and interior space. I tried the GM and it is nice but in the trim level I wanted you couldnt get a normal freaking tailgate. I also prefer the solid front axle and this will probably be one of the last years with manual lockable front hubs. One thing is for sure, these heavy duty trucks dont beat the crap out of you near as bad anymore.

Last edited:
It is with all the American diesels anymore. The reality is that the sexy stuff sells since they're basically a status symbol for American men now. The margins are big, and the people who are buying and rebuying them proved it. They COULD build an ultra reliable and competitively priced 1 ton. They aren't, because it would cost them more to build a sexy version, and that would not be competitively priced.

It's nearly gotten to Veblen economics with big diesel American pickup trucks.
precisely...more specifically the pecuniary emulation portion of his theory...as the vast majority buying them really can't afford nor do they need them for anything other than their perceived social status symbol.

Personally I think if you don't HAVE to buy one or aren't paying cash or getting special low to zero percent financing a new truck at current prices/rates is not a great financial decision... if you can afford to buy it out right and don't have other debts to settle...hey, do your thing.
Way to many people worry about looking the look.
I see it all the time with trucks and "luxury" cars...
theh have a crazy expensive vehicle but can't afford to put brakes or tires on it when the time comes.
I generally tell people that bring it used Luxury cars for inspection that if they can't afford a new one, they likely won't be able to afford to maintain and repair a used one, especially if they are financing it.
It's a sad state of affairs. We really need to be teaching personal finance management/accounting instead of foriegn language in high schools...but then people wouldn't be so enslaved to the wealthy corporations that run the world and we can't have that🙄

Anyways, as for buying a truck, used at least, one last thing I'll add is be very skeptical of used car lots. They get vast majority of their stock from auction which is where dealers send shitty trade ins they don't want to try sell on their lot. Not much worth having goes to auction, most have been half ass repaired or have underlying/intermittent issues.
Certified used from OEM dealer or clean title well inspected from private party is typically best way to get something decent.

willtim

WKR
This thread helped me make up my mind. I had the new truck "itch" until reading this. I think I'll keep my 2013 F350 6.2l V8 with 245,000 miles. The leather seats have cracked but I'll have them redone. Funny, the trucks runs like I just drove it off the lot.

Marble

WKR
Ill be able to report back pretty soon on a 24 F-350 Tremor HO 6.7. I have put 18k on it in 6 months without any hang ups yet but I still get nervous taking it in the woods. I went from the best truck you can buy (5.7 Tundra) to this for the hauling capability and interior space. I tried the GM and it is nice but in the trim level I wanted you couldnt get a normal freaking tailgate. I also prefer the solid front axle and this will probably be one of the last years with manual lockable front hubs. One thing is for sure, these heavy duty trucks dont beat the crap out of you near as bad anymore.
Don't worry about the woods. We've been doing that forever with these trucks and have never been left in the woods. Don't believe the guys talking down the reliability. It's over blown. The place I get my truck serviced sells all three big brands. In order of the mechanic preference and reliability, it went Ford, GM, then Dodge. Apparently there are lots of little things needing to be done under warranty for the Dodge, less for GM and less for Ford.

There were a couple of years where, for whatever reason, Ford didn't offer the manual locking hub, or we ordered the truck wrong. We had aftermarket hubs installed. Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Choupique

WKR
And it's already in use in some industrial gasoline and natural gas engines. It's coming.