Subaru Outback Wilderness - feedback or something?

I'm surprised at some of the mileage you guys are listing on the outbacks in here. My wife drives a completely stock 2018 with the 4 cyl and it averages 28-29 mg. Usually around 26 in the city and 30 on the interstate going 80 and 32 or better at freeway speeds.

I mean, it's true. My truck never breaks 20 mpg, and the subaru never breaks 25mpg. For such a small and modern light vehicle, i think it should be doing 30 all day on the highway, and for sure never even consider the teens in city driving. But 19-21 is what city driving is reporting back to me.
Could be driving tactics. I’m able to get 25-32 with mine. It isn’t a wilderness model which is turbo, but for a AWD vehicle that’s amazing. Winter time my mpg drops to 20-25 but that’s due to winter conditions.

I also drive like an old lady most of the time unless I really need to.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Is it a 6cyl? We have a '16 4cyl with 190k miles that still averages 26/29.
I do not know if it's a 4 or 6 cylinder. I assume 4. I am going to take it on a 140mi round trip this weekend to pick up my new ruger american gen 2. I'll see what it gets rollin down the high way at 72 on cruise control.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Could be driving tactics. I’m able to get 25-32 with mine. It isn’t a wilderness model which is turbo, but for a AWD vehicle that’s amazing. Winter time my mpg drops to 20-25 but that’s due to winter conditions.

I also drive like an old lady most of the time unless I really need to.
I get called grandpa when I drive, but i dont think my mom is driving like the second coming of richard petty either.

She doesn't care about MPG one bit, I just think it's low for a modern vehicle of that engine size/weight.

Crusader

WKR
Wife and I were in the market for a new vehicle (first one ever!) last fall, wanted something that could go anywhere we wanted in our upcoming retirement. Had it narrowed down to the Outback Wilderness and a 4Runner. Liked the Outback but went with the 4R due to it being bigger, more capable as far as towing, and the 3rd row seat option (for grandkids). Fuel economy didn't factor into the decision.

Hydra6

FNG
I got wife a 2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R - we now have about 65000 miles on it. I drive a Ram 1500. The Subaru has been great for us - this was the last of the six cylinders. Plenty of power, lots of room, reliable. Gas mileage ok with the 6 but nothing to brag on. Use if for daily driver and also for long trips. Took it in a prairie dog hunt and vacation in South Dakota from GA. We like the AWD for safety during rainstorms. No maintenance issues so far - oil changes and one set of brakes plus one set of tires.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
200+mi round trip 70-75mph on mostly flat garden state parkway

24 forester wilderness 25k miles mark broke on this trip

Great little car, but again I expected better mpg from a car this size
IMG_8696.jpeg

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I don't have anything negative to say about these Subarus other than what I posted in another thread. Your Subaru is a great car and has capable off road capabilities, no doubt.

However, when a sign clearly states "high vehicle clearance required" this does not mean you Subaru. We have pulled out more Subaru's on off road trails than any other car by a huge margin.

This post by @Poser in another thread is spot on...

"One important aspect that is almost never part of the conversation with Subarus are the approach angles.
Crosstreks have a 18 degree approach angle with the Wilderness edition having a 20 degree angle. Sometimes, folks are quick to point out that a stock wilderness edition Suby has the same clearance as a 4runner, therefore they are equally capable. However, a 4runner (in addition to having a transfer case for a comparable edition) has a stock 33 degree approach angle (and a infinite amount of aftermarket components to increase that angle). That's a significant difference and I have seen a Subaru bottomed out on the front end of a hairpin when going uphill where any reasonable 4x4 design would accomodate for the approach angle in the design. If you want to make those vehicles more capable, you'll have to do more than just have clearance, you need the approach and departure angle to get over obstacles. No way around it."

Bought my wife a 2020 ascent. We've almost got 10K miles on it. just towed a short covered 5x8 trailer with 2 kayaks on top about 7 hours at 70mph avg. 21 mpg. We're about to take it cross country with the same trailer but without kayaks. I actually really like the car and it fits 2 adults 2 teens and 1 baby well with plenty of spare room

200+mi round trip 70-75mph on mostly flat garden state parkway

24 forester wilderness 25k miles mark broke on this trip

Great little car, but again I expected better mpg from a car this size
View attachment 751178

On our Ascent I've foudn that cruise control gets worse fuel mileage than just using my foot. I think its because its adaptive so it speeds up and slows down with traffic

I don't have anything negative to say about these Subarus other than what I posted in another thread. Your Subaru is a great car and has capable off road capabilities, no doubt.

However, when a sign clearly states "high vehicle clearance required" this does not mean you Subaru. We have pulled out more Subaru's on off road trails than any other car by a huge margin.

You can get 4" lift kits which would let you stuff a good size wheel under them

Poser

WKR
You can get 4" lift kits which would let you stuff a good size wheel under them
At that point, what are you gaining? You are going to give up the mpg and handling of a car, for a lifted AWD vehicle without low range gearing. Seems as if, if you need to lift a suby, you might should go a different direction. A newer Jeep Cherokee, for example, would get the same clearance + 4WD and low range gearing.

At that point, what are you gaining? You are going to give up the mpg and handling of a car, for a lifted AWD vehicle without low range gearing. Seems as if, if you need to lift a suby, you might should go a different direction. A newer Jeep Cherokee, for example, would get the same clearance + 4WD and low range gearing.

At the end of the day, the OP is looking for a Unicorn. He could get an all manual(windows and doors) Jeep Cherokee( XJ) . But he's gonna be sitting in 20 year old vehicle at that point. Auto transmission and engine rebuild would go a long way because the straight 6 is reliable AF and the trans is strong. A manual transmission will get better mpg. Highway with road tires the manual trans will get more than 20mpg. Swap out tires when you need some knobbies

Really depends on intended use. Im unloading a gx470 for an outback or forester. Probably outback because of its lower roof line. I need to stand on the tires of the GX to get my kayak tied down.

Myself or my family arent doing serious trails. A subaru will work fine for us where we camp. The GX is awesome but honestly, too much vehicle for what we need.

Take a real look at your intended use and go from there.