Most Reliable New 250/2500 Series Truck

Ford diesels have never showcased a unreliable transmission. Far from it really. 20 year old trucks that’s been worked hard and halfway taken care are still running like a dream. Your motor Might have to be bulletproofed. You might loose a turbo in there somewhere. But, you ain’t loosing a transmission.
Never said they had trans issues lol. I had a 6r100 that took 600 rwhp daily for 3 years. Granted I went through 2 sets of head gaskets, 2 turbos, but the trans held up!

The new powerstrokes really have it dialed in. I would buy a 25 tremor in a heart beat but they are 100k. Hard pass. Will keep driving my built 06 5.9 for another 20 years.

Choupique

WKR
only bought the truck because of the Cummins, and would never buy that truck with a gas motor. They know the rest of the truck is junk.

Thats not entirely true. The ones with the aisin transmission are 300k mile trucks. The 2018 and earlier (pre-hydraulic lifters) are 500k-1M mile trucks. They're far better than they used to be. 68rfe transmissions are really the only glaring weak spot, and those will do ok if cared for.

The issue with dodge now is that they cost as much/more than the competition. Their gas engine (6.4) is junk compared to the other 2. The diesels are all basically equal now. Dodge used to be a much cheaper option but nowadays, I wouldn't want one.

Weldor

WKR
Agree on the new powerstrokes. Had a 16 it was outstanding, needed more cab space for the hounds. 2018 Megacab, runs good, but it is no powestroke. 6.7 is good for what I tow in the mountains and heat here in AZ, but it seems to limp along vs my 16 powerstroke. That being said they both tow well. just prefer a faster spool up. The Megacab gets better mileage than the ford did. Average 18-22 in the Ram 16-17 in the 2016 powerstroke.

WKR

WKR
2006-7 Lbz duramax and put some money into upgrades and interior comforts
Its not new but its the newest diesel truck I would buy. Its actually what I did when looking for a truck a couple years ago. 110k miles on the clock.

I get 15.5 miles per gallon empty
And 15 towing a gooseneck
Thats with a big lift and massive tires. You can't do that with a gas truck. Hell you'd be luck to get 15 empty with a gasser and if you tow...well you know 20221110_151258.jpg

I was a NV and G56 manual guy until they quit offering it.
I’ve had both as well. Having a built 48re changed everything. I won’t own another stick after having a built 48. They are night and day from stock, and will hold as much power as you can possibly throw at them. I hated loosing boost between shifts. The built auto can shift faster then I ever can and stays in the power band.

My current truck is over 600 hp. Still get 20-21 mpg on the highway and blows the doors off most sports cars. I haven’t even really beat on it besides a couple dyno runs and few 1/4 miles runs. Ran a 12.1 at almost 8k pounds. Not bad for a 4 door truck.

Basic build I do on most common rails. 100hp over exergy injectors, 64mm turbo, and some tuning. Head studs, valve springs, pushrods. Makes 600-700 all day long with tuning and will last 500k miles. Just need a trans that can hold it!
IMG_4824.jpeg

Fitzwho

WKR
Not the 2500 Chevy gas trucks. I have them as fleet vehicles. Every one of them has had to have the AC replaced before 30,000 miles. The entire system. Have one that’s been in the shop since February. Got it out last week and it ran for one whole day and it died in a job site.

Choupique

WKR
Ford moving on from the 6.2 and 6 speed hurt my feelings. Those things were absolutely indestructible and got fairly good mileage.

I have a friend getting close to 400k miles on his, and he works it to death. 38 foot gooseneck way overloaded with round bales, big tractors, cow trailers, leaves it idling all day, etc. Such a great drivetrain.

OP
Fever Buck
Not the 2500 Chevy gas trucks. I have them as fleet vehicles. Every one of them has had to have the AC replaced before 30,000 miles. The entire system. Have one that’s been in the shop since February. Got it out last week and it ran for one whole day and it died in a job site.
Have yall had any other issues besides the AC? And what year are the trucks?

schmalzy

WKR

That sucks! We’ve had the exact opposite experience. And AC gets used hard. Fleets based in Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SloppyJ

WKR
A lot of my friends have been switching to the gas models. These days, it seems the diesels are so choked out by emissions they're not worth it.

Ford, we miss treat a fleet of 6.2 trucks from 11-new and they all last 400k+ with little issues besides wear items and oil changes.

Currently own a 21 6.2 with 3.73 gears, put a small level on it with tremor rims and 35s. Getting 14.5 avg in northern WY with 70mph speed limit. I got 12 pulling a mini van on a car trailer, weight was around 7k total the other day on a 140mi trip. No issue keeping speed or getting up to speed. Tows my sxs on a 16ft car trailer like it isn’t there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk