Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, thanks to all the organisers who contributed to running this cold bore challenge.

I got out for the second shot yesterday (post #50 updated). My kestrel 4500 decided to die, so I could only guess at the wind which was varying from very light to about half a MIL hold at 450 meters.

For the shot, I held about 2-3 tenths of a MIL too much windage and also was low by the about same amount. So the second shot is a miss outside of the 10" circle. But the shot turned out to be the most spectacular hit on a steel target I have ever had, tipping over the target frame.

It was fun shooting the 308 Win, and I think my MER was about right for this particular rifle.

Last edited:

eric1115

WKR
Updated my post and I’m celebrating both the shot I took, and Father’s Day, by cooking up the second back strap of my coues buck from this year. Been saving this for a special occasion and today feels right! @robby denning check out my ATV replacement for today in the challenge post <3

View attachment 566466
Dang dude, both hits within a couple inches of dead center is very impressive!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Updated my post and I’m celebrating both the shot I took, and Father’s Day, by cooking up the second back strap of my coues buck from this year. Been saving this for a special occasion and today feels right! @robby denning check out my ATV replacement for today in the challenge post <3

View attachment 566466
Love the pony angle!

Are you sure you uploaded the right picture, it looks like the same hole on a different day. And I don’t see two holes?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Love the pony angle!

Are you sure you uploaded the right picture, it looks like the same hole on a different day. And I don’t see two holes?
Same paper target as day one with 5 10” circles, muzzle brake is pointing towards the hole. Day one hole is center target. Day two hole is in the top left 10” circle target, bottom right hand side of the triangle. Hard to tell because it’s touching the black triangle.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Same paper target as day one with 5 10” circles, muzzle brake is pointing towards the hole. Day one hole is center target. Day two hole is in the top left 10” circle target, bottom right hand side of the triangle. Hard to tell because it’s touching the black triangle.
I see it now!

great shots.

best of luck on the next two for your extra entries. As long as you shoot both, you double your entries—hit or miss—but we expects hits after those two qualifiers.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I see it now!

great shots.

best of luck on the next two for your extra entries. As long as you shoot both, you double your entries—hit or miss—but we expects hits after those two qualifiers.
Thanks very much! My buddy Rick and I headed out earlier this morning and I was able to get my 3rd shot completed, just updated my post. Top right circle target this time.

Thanks very much! My buddy Rick and I headed out earlier this morning and I was able to get my 3rd shot completed, just updated my post. Top right circle target this time.
Some dang good shooting!

And sitting to boot!

I’ll have to try that shooting position. Love shooting prone from my bipod but learning to shoot better from a tripod and that backpack/arm combo you have going looks very steady

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Some dang good shooting!

And sitting to boot!

I’ll have to try that shooting position. Love shooting prone from my bipod but learning to shoot better from a tripod and that backpack/arm combo you have going looks very steady
Takes practice but is honestly just as steady as prone for me. Learn to use your legs, left arm, backpack, and bipod in sync to create a stable position. It’s even better if you can get your back up against a tree or against an ATV or truck tire. You’ll find with practice it’s quicker and more favorable than prone shooting.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can anybody help me? It won’t let me edit my post, just delete. Here’s my video. Ignore my husband trying to mansplain everything to me! 😜

What is the edit you’re trying to make?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m trying to add my second shot to the cbc thread. Actually a video.
The video in your post above added to your post in the challenge thread? Just want to make sure I got it right before trying.

Rich M

WKR
I have a question. How many guys are just aiming at the 10-inch circle vs a point at the center?

Would that improve the shooting?

I have a question. How many guys are just aiming at the 10-inch circle vs a point at the center?

The answer to that question depends on your shooting style and the conditions. When I shoot a target or an animal, I generally dial for elevation, but hold for wind. So very rarely do I hold the exact point of impact on the intended target. This is because the ebb and flow of wind often makes it difficult to dial wind (in my experience). But others prefer to dial wind and elevation for the shot, so they would then hold for the point of impact that are wanting.

But, the further out the distance to the target, the less precise the hold becomes. You tend to be holding for a small area rather than a precise point. But things like follow through affect precision - IE holding your aim through the shot. Hope that makes sense.

Ucsdryder

WKR

Dial elevation, hold wind

I still aim and middle of middle but use my hash marks to do so because there’s rarely a time when I have zero wind.

Aim small, miss small. I’ve done the minute of elk before and shot a bull in the shoulder at 10 steps with my bow. Try to pick a spot and concentrate on that spot.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Can we shoot 600 4x? I've never shot past that and thought 600 would be stretch of MER.
We are going to keep the rules as stated for this year.

If you hit your first two at 600 already, and want to shoot two more days, you only have to push it out a bit.
Try 625 or 650 maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.