Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatcamp

WKR
It was windy and wet here. It's a three hour trip to shoot out to distance so we just shot a round each at our local range. 200 yards and something we have been doing for years.

Whether we get into the challenge or not it has already changed the way I look at shooting and my rifle. The video of the 600 yard cold bore shot I posted was a pivotal point in my life.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The last few spots are filling up! Get your shots in if you want a chance at some great prizes!

Today's featured sponsor is Phone Skope.

They are giving a Phone Skope Bundle $140 Value to one lucky winner!

Phone Skope.png

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
@nphunter

Check your ballistics. If that was really a 25 mph wind you should be holding in the 1.5 mil plus range. You could’ve dialed the correct direction but just one mil too little.

Also your plan is good for 2nd shot. Always hold never dial wind. IMO.

nphunter

WKR
@nphunter

Check your ballistics. If that was really a 25 mph wind you should be holding in the 1.5 mil plus range. You could’ve dialed the correct direction but just one mil too little.

I checked the wind after shooting on a nearby met tower and it was 25mph at whatever height the sensor is. I set up my target with the wind at my back, I set my app to 20 mph and a 10 deg cross wind which was just my best guess, I pointed my phone at the target and moved my wind indicator in line with what direction I felt the wind was blowing.

I have a mil-dot reticle so it only has full mil marks and I figured it would be easier to dial and hold dead on since it's such a small target at that range. I defiantly won't be dialing tonight until after I shoot and I will mess around a little with my scope to verify whether or not I moved it incorrectly.

I'm uncertain when I dial right if that moves my cross-hair right, which would make me have to move the barrel left to put it back on center, or if it moves the POI right in which case I would have made the incorrect adjustment.

It's been 8 years since I've taken a shot that far with that rifle but it shot great out to 1K off of a bench when I first developed the load. All I've done is verified zero before my kids hunt with it each year, I think the furthest shot with the rifle my wife made on a cow at 330 yards.

I was thinking of it like my bow, if I'm going to miss right I move my sight right to correct.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I'm uncertain when I dial right if that moves my cross-hair right, which would make me have to move the barrel left to put it back on center, or if it moves the POI right in which case I would have made the incorrect adjustment.
If you dial "right" labeled direction on your turret, that moves your point of impact right. So if you had a left to right crosswind, your correction or holdover would be left at whatever calculated value for the conditions.

nphunter

WKR
If you dial "right" labeled direction on your turret, that moves your point of impact right. So if you had a left to right crosswind, your correction or holdover would be left at whatever calculated value for the conditions.
Thanks, that is what my buddy told me as well, that makes me feel somewhat better about the miss, I feel like if I would have made the right correction I would have had a hit. Lesson learned, at least until I forget again, defiantly would never dial in a hunting situation.

nphunter

WKR
You can really tell the difference in the large cartridge hits vs the small cartridge hits, the smaller ones just tink when they hit the targets and the large ring the targets. Here is a great example from several years back with my boys shooting a 200 yard target.

My 10yr old was shooting the 280AI and my 13yr old his 6.5CM, it's funny you can't even see the impacts from the CM at that distance.

Antares

WKR
I made it in! Post #86. Our wx has been disgusting; I bet I've only been able to see this plate 4 or 5 days since the CBC started and none of them lined up with my schedule until this morning. I thought for sure all the spots were going to fill up before things aligned for me. I'll try to shoot my second shot this weekend. Thanks to the Rokslide crew for putting this on!

Scenery shot from my shooting position.

IMG_9023.jpg

Last edited:

nphunter

WKR
@nphunter

Well I redeemed myself today, should have held over last night and I’d have had two extra entries.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m not in the LR world so no surprise that I did not know there is a national shoot based on Cold Bore! Including world records. This is cool and validates the entire concept:

Fatcamp

WKR
I’m not in the LR world so no surprise that I did not know there is a national shoot based on Cold Bore! Including world records. This is cool and validates the entire concept:

That is amazing.

We have been doing a form of this for years. We live close enough to a 200 yard range that we can load up and shoot one round in ten minutes. We treat it like a competition and the closer we get to season start the more challenging we make it.

What we learned last night is that 600 yards is completely different. We cannot just go shoot, we need to plan properly and take our time with setup. It was such a wreck last night we both walked away feeling stupid.

In the end it's a good thing, but I think we are both still pretty disappointed in how it went, from the set up, filming, and shooting.

Not good, but in the end it will make us better. I think. 😁

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That is amazing.

We have been doing a form of this for years. We live close enough to a 200 yard range that we can load up and shoot one round in ten minutes. We treat it like a competition and the closer we get to season start the more challenging we make it.

What we learned last night is that 600 yards is completely different. We cannot just go shoot, we need to plan properly and take our time with setup. It was such a wreck last night we both walked away feeling stupid.

In the end it's a good thing, but I think we are both still pretty disappointed in how it went, from the set up, filming, and shooting.

Not good, but in the end it will make us better. I think. 😁
Being honest with ourselves about our capabilities is a win for us, the animals, and hunting.

Good work posting up your shots.

I know personally it hurts!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.