Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
We finished today… we both missed our final shots. We both blew our chance for some sweet prizes. What’s worse is that I have no idea what I did to miss. He dialed wrong…. As he said on the truck ride home, “better luck next year”! Thanks @robby denning and @Justin Crossley for the CBC and the great training and motivation for us.
Yeah, you’re still in with 1 entry each, just what @Justin Crossley said above,

Well, I missed my BOAL on the last shot! I halved my wind hold and missed right. Seems to be a trend with me.
As long as we are consistent we can make corrections and identify what we need to work on, I identified a few things for me as well.

Finished last night finally and got to tear into the rifle to day.

Thanks Justin and Robby for the efforts put in to this. I believe the goal you guys you expected from this showed in the end for all.

Shooting frequently really does show the realities of shooting long range. Prior to this challenge I shot a fair amount at distance. I quickly noticed 600+ shots often needed the windage to be walked in and elevation was spot on. Just coming down from 600 to 500 yards showed me that 1st round impacts were not just more common but actually darn near guaranteed at 500 for me and my equipment. Not sure what others have realized but for me the 100 yard jump from 550 to 650 seems to be a significant one for FIRST round impacts.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Shooting frequently really does show the realities of shooting long range. Prior to this challenge I shot a fair amount at distance. I quickly noticed 600+ shots often needed the windage to be walked in and elevation was spot on. Just coming down from 600 to 500 yards showed me that 1st round impacts were not just more common but actually darn near guaranteed at 500 for me and my equipment. Not sure what others have realized but for me the 100 yard jump from 550 to 650 seems to be a significant one for FIRST round impacts.
@Ryan Avery told me years ago that while everyone wants to do LR stuff, the vast majority of people might add a few hundred yards to traditional (pre-LR craze) yardages at most.

Once you get to 500, it gets harder (especially Cold Bore).

Been the case for me for sure

@Ryan Avery told me years ago that while everyone wants to do LR stuff, the vast majority of people might add a few hundred yards to traditional (pre-LR craze) yardages at most.

Once you get to 500, it gets harder (especially Cold Bore).

Been the case for me for sure
With extensive shooting I could see the possibility of 6-700 yards cold bore. But for most of us...like you said...500 is much more realistic. Another conversation could be had about one's acceptable error amount. I know folks who will tolerate and "risk" more than me and I'm sure I'm not as squeaky clean as others. It's all fun and all good reason to buy more ammo and less guns.

Fatcamp

WKR
We finished tonight. It has been a very cool thing to participate in and will change some things for us.

Need to do some reloading and get a rifle set up for the Mrs., as her .300 isn't an option for her right now.

Can't see a time we won't carry our rifles out west with us. We are hooked!

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Unofficial Tally of data. Disclaimer not 100% accurate...

98 shooters started
4 didn't complete challange
4 qualified at 600, but didn't shoot final 2 shots
23 claimed >600 but didn't qualify (me included)

600 and under (includes non qualifiers)
69/130 shots missed
39% hit rate

600 yards and up
23/104 missed
78% hit rate

Calibers (various flavors under each) utilized
.223- 8
6mm- 7
6.5mm- 32
.25 - 1
.270 -5
6.8 - 3
7mm- 27
.30 - 11
.338 - 1

Scopes
Eotech -1
Sig-1
Tract -1
Minox - 1
Swaro-1
Burris- 1
ZCO-1
Husk -2
Trijicon-3
Bushnell - 8
Leupold - 12
Vortex -13
NF -19
SWFA- 20

h2so4

WKR
I took my second shot this morning. I knew it was too late, but wanted to finish what I started. The official thread is locked. missed low again, but not as low as 1st shot. Then proceeded to enjoy the heck out of the day at the range.

Unofficial Tally of data. Disclaimer not 100% accurate...

98 shooters started
4 didn't complete challange
4 qualified at 600, but didn't shoot final 2 shots
23 claimed >600 but didn't qualify (me included)

600 and under (includes non qualifiers)
69/130 shots missed
39% hit rate

600 yards and up
23/104 missed
78% hit rate

Calibers (various flavors under each) utilized
.223- 8
6mm- 7
6.5mm- 32
.25 - 1
.270 -5
6.8 - 3
7mm- 27
.30 - 11
.338 - 1

Scopes
Eotech -1
Sig-1
Tract -1
Minox - 1
Swaro-1
Burris- 1
ZCO-1
Husk -2
Trijicon-3
Bushnell - 8
Leupold - 12
Vortex -13
NF -19
SWFA- 20
If you're bored you should break down the percentage of hits by caliber...lol I'm too lazy.

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
i shot a rifle match before i got a chance to shoot my final 2 shots past 600. And i needed practice before the match. Didn't feel it was in the spirit of the competition to keep shooting if i had just ran another 250rd trough a different rifle and claim i was still cold bore on my hunting gun. I shoot thousands of rounds a year past 800. But i enjoyed the competition and hope its here next year.
As far as scopes to hits and misses it would crush a lot of hearts if they knew the truth behind there scopes! Shooting 12-20 matches a year i see a lot of equipment fail. some repeatedly. some really big popular names. I work way too hard and there are only so many falls left in my life to leave the chance of a lifetime to chance with cheap scopes and equipment.
Hits by caliber would be more shooter dependent inside 600. actually easier inside 600 with small calibers than big. but that's about the turning point of where bigger calibers start to shine. Gun weight is a lot bigger variable that nobody wants to talk about. I guarantee that a heavier gun is easier to shoot accurately in field conditions at distance than a lighter one. `And the farther out you go the more so.
But nobody likes my opinions because there not cool, trendy or budget friendly!

Last edited:
i shot a rifle match before i got a chance to shoot my final 2 shots past 600. And i needed practice before the match. Didn't feel it was in the spirit of the competition to keep shooting if i had just ran another 250rd trough a different rifle and claim i was still cold bore on my hunting gun. I shoot thousands of rounds a year past 800. But i enjoyed the competition and hope its here next year.
I think it was specifically against the rules to do any rifle shooting whatsoever between shots

Ucsdryder

WKR
This was a really fun challenge. Whoever came up with the idea should get something for free! I’m honestly already looking toward to next year. I put my mer at 620 this year, but after completing it I think I left some meat on the bone.

Pretty interesting stats. 39% hit rate is rough!

As far as scopes to hits and misses it would crush a lot of hearts if they knew the truth behind there scopes! Shooting 12-20 matches a year i see a lot of equipment fail. some repeatedly. some really big popular names. I work way too hard and there are only so many falls left in my life to leave the chance of a lifetime to chance with cheap scopes and equipment.
Hits by caliber would be more shooter dependent inside 600. actually easier inside 600 with small calibers than big. but that's about the turning point of where bigger calibers start to shine. Gun weight is a lot bigger variable that nobody wants to talk about. I guarantee that a heavier gun is easier to shoot accurately in field conditions at distance than a lighter one. `And the farther out you go the more so.
But nobody likes my opinions because there not cool, trendy or budget friendly!
I like em

Status
Not open for further replies.