Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
You've asked for it, and this year it's happening. The 2023 Rokslide Cold Bore Challenge.

Get your hunting rifle out and get it dialed in!

The challenge will start on Saturday, June 3rd, and end on Sunday, July 2nd. That will give shooters five weekends to complete the challenge. We are still working on the final rules but expect it to be similar in spirit to the Cold Bow Challenge.

We have some huge prizes lined up from these great sponsors.

Swarovski Optik
G9 Defense
Argali Outdoors
Unknown Munitions
Vortex
onX Hunt
Procision Arms

@Ryan Avery @robby denning

Last edited:

JD Jones

WKR
Understand there may not be different divisions like the Bow Challenge rules state but any options similar to trad and compound to double the odds? Maybe small bore big bore/Centerfire and muzzy?

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I had always wanted to jump in on the cold bow challenge but never did unfortunately. I have been shooting my rifles a lot more and thoroughly enjoying it so this is intriguing, hopefully I can jump in on this AND the cold bow challenge

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Distance? Rest?

Cmon! Some details, man!!!

Do we get two entries for muzzleloader and centerfire????
The rules aren't set in stone yet, but here are some details.

The target size will be a 10" circle to replicate a deer's vital zone.

Distance is up to you, but you must push yourself like in the cold bow. Nobody should be claiming their max range from the prone position is 200 yards.

You won't get a pass if you choose 300 yards as your MER just because that's the max at your local range. We are going to have some really great prizes, and people are going to have to put in some work to enter this challenge.

The rest must be a hunting position. Examples of acceptable gear would be a bipod, a tripod, your pack, etc. We won't be allowing benches or "lead sleds."

If a person chooses a distance greater than 600 yards, they first have to go two for two at 600 before they can shoot their max range shots. This will likely gain an extra entry into the drawing.

Instead of five shots like the Cold Bow, we are going to likely go with two shots for this challenge but you still won't be able to practice in between. That means the guys who go for a max past 600 yards will have to shoot four separate days with no shooting in between. You'll have to earn that extra entry.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Understand there may not be different divisions like the Bow Challenge rules state but any options similar to trad and compound to double the odds? Maybe small bore big bore/Centerfire and muzzy?
Right now we are only going with one division.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Similar to how shooting broad heads within the Cold BOW Challenge gets one extra entries, can we have extra entries for properly and thoroughly Form drop testing our setup during the Cold BORE Challenge?

Serious question @Justin Crossley (stern face emoji)
I thought you were making a joke! lol

No, I don't plan to give an extra entry for drop testing. That would eliminate all the contestants with Vortex or Leupold scopes. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ucsdryder

WKR
The rules aren't set in stone yet, but here are some details.

The target size will be a 10" circle to replicate a deer's vital zone.

Distance is up to you, but you must push yourself like in the cold bow. Nobody should be claiming their max range from the prone position is 200 yards.

You won't get a pass if you choose 300 yards as your MER just because that's the max at your local range. We are going to have some really great prizes, and people are going to have to put in some work to enter this challenge.

The rest must be a hunting position. Examples of acceptable gear would be a bipod, a tripod, your pack, etc. We won't be allowing benches or "lead sleds."

If a person chooses a distance greater than 600 yards, they first have to go two for two at 600 before they can shoot their max range shots. This will likely gain an extra entry into the drawing.

Instead of five shots like the Cold Bow, we are going to likely go with two shots for this challenge but you still won't be able to practice in between. That means the guys who go for a max past 600 yards will have to shoot four separate days with no shooting in between. You'll have to earn that extra entry.
Hardest part is going to be which rifle to choose!!!! I like where you’re headed with these ideas!

sndmn11

WKR
I thought you were making a joke! lol

No, I don't plan to give an extra entry for drop testing. That would eliminate all the contestants with Vortex or Leupold scopes. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It was a sternly serious joke. It would be the most interesting thing of 2023 to see how many failures of equipment occur with a sample size of 100+ setups.

It would also give @Ucsdryder more things to complain about when we hang out and that makes it bearable in a cynical way.

bluumoon

WKR
Forgive my ignorance, are the shots scored, or just put on display for the rest of Rokslide to mock me? Ie I have steel at 450 and 675. I’d like to think my MER is 675 (right where the ELD-M hits 1800fps) but if I’m being honest w my self I’m more like a 450 kind of guy.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Forgive my ignorance, are the shots scored, or just put on display for the rest of Rokslide to mock me? Ie I have steel at 450 and 675. I’d like to think my MER is 675 (right where the ELD-M hits 1800fps) but if I’m being honest w my self I’m more like a 450 kind of guy.
Shots will be recorded on the thread, mocking will be limited
You shooting at your maximum effective range or you can't participate

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk