Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

sndmn11

WKR
We are going to keep the rules as stated for this year.

If you hit your first two at 600 already, and want to shoot two more days, you only have to push it out a bit.
Try 625 or 650 maybe?

That was the plan. I saw some third and fourth shots in that qualifying range around 600 and thought I might have misread somewhere.

FNG
I just wanted to post to thank you guys [mention]robby denning [/mention] [mention]Justin Crossley [/mention], and the other mods and sponsors for putting this on. It’s been very interesting reading people’s posts. It got me out and practicing, and aspiring to do better. In fact, it changed my practice completely, instead of starting close and moving back, starting farther out and taking the time to work up that cold bore shot. It’s actually a little “stressful” trying to make that cold bore shot, and I learned a lot the first time about what positions and supports get me the most stable. It also inspired me to get a new spotting scope setup (Swarovski ATX 65, new carbon tripod, phoneskope) so I can record /spot longer shots better, and make the most out of each shot. Work/family/vacation schedule won’t cooperate for me to make the consecutive shots this year, but I’m definitely looking forward to next year, and this has given me a better way to practice when I’m getting tuned up for hunting season. Great idea and thanks again.

A few pics for fun. New spotter setup in the back, 300WBY in the front. I’m lucky to have a nice setup at my folk’s place in Central Texas.

41b97f72716757bf7e92b1dbac372c74.jpg

d9c0769da76e65c9893aa40aec491e37.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I just wanted to post to thank you guys [mention]robby denning [/mention] [mention]Justin Crossley [/mention], and the other mods and sponsors for putting this on. It’s been very interesting reading people’s posts. It got me out and practicing, and aspiring to do better. In fact, it changed my practice completely, instead of starting close and moving back, starting farther out and taking the time to work up that cold bore shot. It’s actually a little “stressful” trying to make that cold bore shot, and I learned a lot the first time about what positions and supports get me the most stable. It also inspired me to get a new spotting scope setup (Swarovski ATX 65, new carbon tripod, phoneskope) so I can record /spot longer shots better, and make the most out of each shot. Work/family/vacation schedule won’t cooperate for me to make the consecutive shots this year, but I’m definitely looking forward to next year, and this has given me a better way to practice when I’m getting tuned up for hunting season. Great idea and thanks again.

A few pics for fun. New spotter setup in the back, 300WBY in the front. I’m lucky to have a nice setup at my folk’s place in Central Texas.

41b97f72716757bf7e92b1dbac372c74.jpg

d9c0769da76e65c9893aa40aec491e37.jpg
Hey, you are welcome. Thank you for the feedback, and that’s what it was designed to do, get people practicing and making an honest assessment of the true capabilities.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Big thanks to @robby denning and @Justin Crossley for putting this together. Haven't had this much fun shooting in a while, and it's inspired me to get out and shoot even when it's 100+ degrees here in the desert (since I moved here full time I've taken most of late June-August off of shooting).

My son JJ and I made it out early this morning and got the 4th shot completed! With the challenge being over, we also stepped the rifle back past 800 yards for the first time to confirm some hits at 850 yards. Calcs and chart update look really good at 850 yards, starting to get on the edge of needing more magnification for confident target shooting for my eyes. It was very difficult to see the triangle aim point, but aiming at the center of the bright green circle was more than achievable. Probably calling this rifle a 900 yard MER 10" target gun as it sits with the max 9 power SWFA. Would probably be willing to stretch it out further on deer and elk as the 7 SAUM and 175 ELDX has plenty of kill left, all depends on several factors.

Here's an 8 shot "group" from the Tikka (two full magazines plus one in the chamber for each string). Let barrel cool for about 5 minutes between strings. I always do two full magazines when confirming hits at new yardages, with a little bit of time in between groups. This was also done on a folding plastic table seated in a chair, with front and rear bags. MUCH different feel from the cold bore field position shots as expected.

group8506212023.jpg

Geewhiz

WKR
Big thanks to @robby denning and @Justin Crossley for putting this together. Haven't had this much fun shooting in a while, and it's inspired me to get out and shoot even when it's 100+ degrees here in the desert (since I moved here full time I've taken most of late June-August off of shooting).

My son JJ and I made it out early this morning and got the 4th shot completed! With the challenge being over, we also stepped the rifle back past 800 yards for the first time to confirm some hits at 850 yards. Calcs and chart update look really good at 850 yards, starting to get on the edge of needing more magnification for confident target shooting for my eyes. It was very difficult to see the triangle aim point, but aiming at the center of the bright green circle was more than achievable. Probably calling this rifle a 900 yard MER 10" target gun as it sits with the max 9 power SWFA. Would probably be willing to stretch it out further on deer and elk as the 7 SAUM and 175 ELDX has plenty of kill left, all depends on several factors.

Here's an 8 shot "group" from the Tikka (two full magazines plus one in the chamber for each string). Let barrel cool for about 5 minutes between strings. I always do two full magazines when confirming hits at new yardages, with a little bit of time in between groups. This was also done on a folding plastic table seated in a chair, with front and rear bags. MUCH different feel from the cold bore field position shots as expected.

View attachment 567554
Eh. Still pushing 0.5 MOA @ 850. Better luck next time.

Kidding. Damn good shooting there.

Antares

WKR
Shot my second shot today. Updated my post. A miss. Disappointing. Wind got me. Oh well, it was a good learning experience. Thanks again for putting this on.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I am very interested to see what the results of this challenge are when it’s all said and done. Lots of misses at “MER”. I think people in general believe their MER is farther than it actually is and I believe this challenge will end up showing it. I also think the participants in this challenge are in the upper tier of shooters, both on RS and especially in the hunting community.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I am very interested to see what the results of this challenge are when it’s all said and done. Lots of misses at “MER”. I think people in general believe their MER is farther than it actually is and I believe this challenge will end up showing it. I also think the participants in this challenge are in the upper tier of shooters, both on RS and especially in the hunting community.
I learned I need a lot more practice in the wind. Will be curious to look at equipment patterns too. At first glance a higher percentage of the 600 yard plus group were making hits compared to the under 600 yard group. Probably a direct reflection of who is already practicing at longer distances regularly.

Well finished up. I wanted to push it a bit and ended up with two misses barely (I know, a miss is a miss) off the plate at 744.
The furtherest I’ve shot an animal is 500 yards and I think it’ll stay that way. I just don’t shoot enough to get a feel for wind calls past 500/600.
Great challenge and thanks to the mods for organizing.
My take away is just because you can doesn’t mean you should (for most), anything past 400 is a long way, especially on an animal!
I also missed a bear the size of a VW bug at 135 yards about two weeks before the challenge, so there’s that 😂 picture is from a mile away
229A7C9E-EF59-4394-BA31-504BDB807B56.jpeg

sndmn11

WKR

TheCougar

WKR
Yes, we are good with extending the deadline to finish by the end of July 5th.
We finished today… we both missed our final shots. We both blew our chance for some sweet prizes. What’s worse is that I have no idea what I did to miss. He dialed wrong…. As he said on the truck ride home, “better luck next year”! Thanks @robby denning and @Justin Crossley for the CBC and the great training and motivation for us.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
We finished today… we both missed our final shots. We both blew our chance for some sweet prizes. What’s worse is that I have no idea what I did to miss. He dialed wrong…. As he said on the truck ride home, “better luck next year”! Thanks @robby denning and @Justin Crossley for the CBC and the great training and motivation for us.
Hitting or missing has nothing to do with prize eligibility.