Who Mountain Bikes?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been looking at getting back into mountain biking. Not racing again, but another way to stay in shape.

As I looked through the lastest offerings at the bike store, I see the prices are still pretty high:) I may go the Craigslist/pinkbike.com route (used).

Anyone else mountain bike much, or thinking of getting into it? If so, you guys running hard tails or FS?

bbrown

WKR
I gave up on bikes after a good spill when I was like 7 or 8. Cracked my helmet in half and I literally still have rocks embedded in my skull that work loose every once in a while. Damn good work out and I hear there are a ton of trails in the lakewood golden area close to you.

bbrown

WKR
EDIT - I deleted my post to help keep this on track and it had nothing to do with original post. Sorry

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm no spandex wearing biker. I only ride off road. Last year I jumped to a full suspension, after using hard tails and a single speed since way back. The full suspension bikes that are out today are awesome. I can ride more comfortably and ride the technical stuff much harder than I ever could with my hard tail. It is a little more to maintain, but if your in it to really enjoy your ride, and have a background of the fundamental skills, I don't see how a guy could go wrong with a mid end, mid travel full suspension bike.

I can't wait for summer to get back on the bike. Headed your direction come June or July to do some biking. Maybe we could do a rokslide bike ride.

mtnkid85

WKR
On the other hand I DESPISE road bikers - don't be one of those guys. The only real time I miss my diesel is when I pass a flock spandex - sure was fun to smoke them out.

Bbrown you can piss off, dicking with road bikers is flat out dangerous. If I where to catch someone messing with them you can bet Id have words with them.

Aron you might stop in to some of the Local bike stores and see if anyone of them do any consignment type of deals. I know there are a few around here that have some pretty sweet deals move through them, if you know what your looking for.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I picked up a hardtail K2 off craigslist for $300 last year for my triathlon. The bike portion was on old logging roads and trails. Even has the fancy front shocks & disc brakes.

Clarktar

WKR
Aron, I once mtn biked a ton. Sold my bike, and over the last year I have been getting back into it. I would go with FS. I am partial to bikes that have a rear suspension that locks out for more efficient climbing (riding up hill). I have always been more of a XC biker, ride up, let gravity do the work on the way down. I never owned any really heavy big downhill bikes as I was not taking big hits or drops, but was more into riding technical trails.

I have been really stoked on the Transition Covert. Right now I am riding a Cannodale Rush which I like. My older bikes years ago were mainly all specialized Enduros.

Pink bike is the way to go, no doubt! And being in CO, you will find plenty of bikes for sale.

Actually I am heading out tomorrow, Green Mtn, near Silverdale/Bremerton.

Bighorse

WKR
In my 20's I was a very sucessful XC MTB racer. I've owned a dozen MTB's. I've done plenty of rides in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest durring that time. Getting on a MTB is great for all the reasons you seek, fitness. The risk of injury is real. If you go down really hard Head, Neck, and shoulder injury can be serious. I even crushed a kidney once and had severe arterial internal bleeding from a MTB accident!

Be safety concious and don't ride beyond your comfort too often and you should be fine. The hours that you spend pounding with a pack could easily be converted to trail time. It's exilerating and dynamic. You could easily convert some of your gear enthusiam into cycling.

I've used bikes in AK too. I would ride logging roads to lakes then kyak then hunt. The bike had a trailer and so on the return I wouldn't have to carry my deer anymore.

My $.02

Mythewood

FNG
bbrown,
That's alright, mate. We despise you too!:) We ran down a fella with your mindset this last summer and it was pretty damn entertaining watching him snivel about trying to a avoid a thumpin. Wasn't so tough outside his truck!:)

Anyway, I mountainbike!
A hardtail is lighter, easier to maneuver and has less parts to fail, but it is harder on your joints, slower downhill through technical stretches, and just not as enjoyable as a full suspension. I have both, and while I do prefer the hardtail, I think it's relevent to point out that I don't have your upper strength and am considerably lighter so it's not as hard on my joints.
In my opinion, it is the BEST form of training there is(and funnest) for the type of hunting we do. It is a combination of strength and interval training, and with the break-neck downhill speed you learn to navigate trails quickly with part of your vision focused on what lies ahead, and part on what lies directly in front of your wheels! The uphills will push you to keep going beyond what you would when running because to slow down means falling off your bike.

Get the best you can afford, and get a good pair of biking shoes with snap in cleats! Good luck!

Rucker61

WKR
I mountainbike. I used to race XC and DH, but now just ride for fun. I've been riding full suspension since 1995 or so, and quit riding DH at all this last year. It takes too long to heal in my fifties, and selling my carbon Santa Cruz paid for a lot of hunting gear.

Ozz08

WKR
I raced a lot of bmx then moved to mountain bikes(not racing). Been about 9-10 years since I stopped riding but I just started thinking about getting back into it. I've been looking into bikes for the last few months and Aron you are right, the prices are pretty high. When I first got into mountain bikes you could get a decent bike for under $1000. Now entry level 29er hard tails are $1000!

Lawnboi

WKR
No offense meant to any of the spandex wearers with my last post, just is not my cup of tea :)

I second to get some clipless pedals if you've never tried them. On the trail they made all the difference for me

Any of you western guys use fat bikes?

trkyslr

WKR
I started riding last month for the same reason. I have a hardtail specialized something "rock" 29" tires... So far im realing seeing good results doing about 20-30 miles a week (2-3 days a week) consisting of up and down mix of good hills. Its kicking my butt but im getting use to it again like when i was a kid riding. Mixing it in with my weighted pack hikes for cardio. Ive also been using a roller almost daily for my IT band and with the biking my knees deff feel a lot better. I also plan on using it where i hunt in MT to get back further on the roads and trails. One huge tip is by the padded mandex shorts for comfort and to be clear i wear them under loose workout shorts as i will never be the spandex type haha!

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I picked up my first mtb a few months ago. Pretty cool sport and another way to stay in the mountains.

OR Archer

WKR
I'd like to get into it but the options and prices are a bit overwhelming when looking at different bikes. I know a lot of guys in my area will use them to access gated lands for hunting/scouting as well as just another form of fun/excercise.

So a question to you guys who run full suspension bikes. How easy is it to lock out the rear suspension for climbing hills? Also what kind of protective gear do you use?

Lawnboi

WKR
I'd like to get into it but the options and prices are a bit overwhelming when looking at different bikes. I know a lot of guys in my area will use them to access gated lands for hunting/scouting as well as just another form of fun/excercise.

So a question to you guys who run full suspension bikes. How easy is it to lock out the rear suspension for climbing hills? Also what kind of protective gear do you use?

A flick of a switch. Takes 1 second

Worthwhile investment, like a gym membership. Mtn biking is fun and a great way to stay in shape

Beastmode

WKR

It depends what kind of lockout it has. I had a fox rear shock with a brain on it that did everything automatically. Really slick idea and it worked. I generally wear a good helmet as well as a good set of mountain biking shorts. Thats it for me.

jherald

WKR
I have a Specialized Rock Hopper with front shock and manual lockout for my own bike. I use bikes at work at times but they wouldn't get us what I really wanted, Specialized Rock Hopper's. They bought us Fuji bikes instead. :confused: Go figure, that's government for ya.

jherald

WKR
What I really want is a Fat Bike but don't have the cash to spend on one now. Would be sweet to have a fat bike and some studded up tires. Winter Riding at it's best in AK. There is a group here who travels the river after freeze during the winter on Fat Bikes.