Trials bike vs dirt bike/TW for hunting.

nphunter

WKR
Curious if anyone has used a trials bike for hunting, scouting, etc. I currently have a TW with low gears and front and rear racks and feel like it’s super sketchy on any single track trails. It seems like most single tracks are ridden by guys hauling ass on a good motocross type bikes. Trails are narrow, logs are cut close to the trail and most obstacles are better tackled by grabbing the throttle.

The TW fails on these types of trails, the suspension bottoms out, the racks hit everything it seems and they are heavy, with the two racks, skid plate, knobby tire and larger tank I’m guessing I’m 320lbs or more for just the bike. I recently went to ID on a deer hunt and hauled my gear on my back and rode the bike a couple of days while hunting. There were several spots where I feel like I’m lucky I didn’t eat it, short steep sections or technical stuff where you have to go up over something and turn real quick down the other side. The TW climbs well but is super heavy in the tight turns and isn’t responsive at all.

I’m thinking about trading the TW for a Honda 4 stroke trials bike. With the trials I would be able to put both feet on the ground if needed or even just step off and bail! With the TW you cannot just step over the bike with the huge rack in the back. The trials bike is also 160lbs, and super low geared. The negative is they have a shorter range and no seat, I may have to make a couple extra trips out with meat but I feel like those trips would be much safer.

I haven’t 100% made up my mind and would love to hear if anyone has ridden both. I’m only 5’6” so a full size bike isn’t really an option either. I’ve had the TW for 6 years and have only put about 500 miles on it so it’s not like it’s getting ridden a lot. When I first got it I’d ride my kids on the back and go set/check trail cams on national forest roads to save fuel. They are 5’10” and 6’ now is that really downs work any more. They last few years I’ve only used it when hunting areas that have single tracks and honestly I feel like it’s a horrible single track bike.

58A0C427-66B7-448A-BD86-8F627BD69D18.jpeg

def90

WKR
This is a trials bike:

63962_Trial%20_%20TXT%20GP%20_%202024%20_%20Action

I'm guessing you just mean a trail bike vs motocross bike?

I have an old Honda XR250r 4 stroke, that thing has a ton of low end torque, is super lightweight and will go up and over everything.

@ 11,000ft

IMG_20160904_114301_362sm.jpg

def90

WKR
Ah re-read your post.. you really do mean a trials bike.. I can't imagine riding a trials bike any more than a mile or two. Definitely not what you want to be riding if you are trying to access the back country with a load of gear.

Maybe a Honda CRF125F big wheel. It should fit you fine and get you to where you need to go. Fuel injected , quite and reliable.

A Spanish made TRS X Track. They are a hybrid Trials bike with a seat. You would have to pack extra fuel bottles but they look like fun bikes if you could find one.

Gas Gas used to make a great small frame trials hybrid bike called the Pampera, but they are hard to find.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Ah re-read your post.. you really do mean a trials bike.. I can't imagine riding a trials bike any more than a mile or two. Definitely not what you want to be riding if you are trying to access the back country with a load of gear.
Yes a trials bike:) Just thought it would be a nimble easy to maneuver bike on technical terrain. I have zero interest in ridding miles to a trail head. I’d prefer to drive where I can and use the bike to access harder to reach areas. I find with my bike I’m standing 90% off the time and carry my gear on my back anyway. I’ve seen YouTube videos of guys ridding trails and down the hwy on them and they look decent to me. Other that no seat I don’t really see the downside. I was hoping someone who has ridden them would chime in. I don’t think many people have experience with them, it seems like they are pretty popular in other countries.

LFC911

WKR
I bought a TW200 this year for hunting and used it with a full pack on some ATV trails and two tracks. IMO the TW didn't have sufficient torque when I was going up steep inclines in 1st gear to feel safe. I couldn't imagine using it with gear and an elk quarter. I currently have it on FB marketplace and plan on getting a fuel injected ATV for the future.

IMG_3285.JPEG

I used to own a Gas Gas and a Cagiva trials bike. They were fun to play around on the farm to build bike skills and kill time. Yes they can get you to places no other bike will if you can ride like Geoff Aaron.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Maybe a Honda CRF125F big wheel. It should fit you fine and get you to where you need to go. Fuel injected , quite and reliable.

A Spanish made TRS X Track. They are a hybrid Trials bike with a seat. You would have to pack extra fuel bottles but they look like fun bikes if you could find one.

Gas Gas used to make a great small frame trials hybrid bike called the Pampera, but they are hard to find.
I’m actually looking at a Honda Montesa 4 stroke, they make a trail seat/tank for it. The 4 stroke is suppose to be really torquey and do well on fuel. It’s also fuel injected.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
I used to own a Gas Gas and a Cagiva trials bike. They were fun to play around on the farm to build bike skills and kill time. Yes they can get you to places no other bike will if you can ride like Geoff Aaron.
No idea who that is, I’m no expert rider. I just think they would be great if you have to stop real quick or get hung up and have to put your feet down. I have been in that situation with my bike and ended up getting pitched 15’ down the mountian before. Luckily I was shed hunting in the pines and it was a soft landing.
It also seems like it would be a lot easier to walk beside in nasty terrain too.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Other that no seat I don’t really see the downside. I was hoping someone who has ridden them would chime in. I don’t think many people have experience with them, it seems like they are pretty popular in other countries.
My riding buddy rode a trials back for trails for 1 summer. He almost destroyed the bike just not meant to do it. I tried riding it a few times and just wasn't great. He had a seat and a larger tank. End of the year he had to rebuild the suspension, also ended up replacing nearly every bearing and bushing on the bike. I don't remember now if it was a Beta or Gasgas.

He's a good 6" shorter than me and a bit lighter. I'm 6' 180 lbs.

Throw your leg over a Beta Cross Trainer. They are between a Trials and Trail bike. Seats are low, suspension is plush, geared like a goat.

Wrench

WKR
You're at polar opposite ends of the universe with a tw and a trials bike.

Have you considered something like a 230-250 class wide ratio enduro type bike? Something you can get springs for and not have to pack fuel for....has the right suspension for the ride to the nasty section and yet good enough to get through it?

A wr250 with a sticky tire will do so much more than the tw or trials bike....but neither of those two will do a lot more than the wr.

Unless you're Toni Beau.

Braaap

WKR
I trials bike would not be a good idea in my opinion. Yes I have ridden one. They’re cool but very narrow focus. Honestly I think you just need a modern trail bike and to spend some time improving your bike skill. You can lower the suspension pretty easily or just do a shorter seat. I’ve owned and ridden just about everything out there and to me the easiest bike to ride is a ktm 300. Yes a 300 is a large engine but it’s got a really heavy flywheel and tons of torque. It’s fast if you hold it wide open but down low the power is very mellow and it’s almost impossible to stall. Very good bike for slow technical woods riding.

Or check out one of the Honda or Yamaha 125 to 250ish air coolerd four strokes, I forget the models but should be easy to find online. Easy to ride, mellow power.

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
I have thought about a trials bike myself, as you could really steal some vertical feet with that kind of rig, what gives me pause is the legality of accessing the type of country that would necessitate that style of bike. Most of it being free of trails and such. If a trail exists a good dirt bike should be enough.

How much seat time do you have on the TW? I loved my KTM 350 for single track riding, but I did not like it for hunting. I preferred the low gearing of the TW and the racks for strapping quarters too. Its a different style of riding, slower, lower to the ground, sometimes you walk it over obstacles, it can get annoying. The end goal is to keep the weight off your back.

You also could look at an older WR or XR that has a larger frame, motor, and the ability to add a rear rack.

Braaap

WKR
How much seat time do you have on the TW? I loved my KTM 350 for single track riding, but I did not like it for hunting. I preferred the low gearing of the TW and the racks for strapping quarters too. Its a different style of riding, slower, lower to the ground, sometimes you walk it over obstacles, it can get annoying. The end goal is to keep the weight off your back.

You also could look at an older WR or XR that has a larger frame, motor, and the ability to add a rear rack.
I will second my dislike of my ktm 350 for hunting. It doesn’t have much torque, it’s loud, and it can overheat if you’re going slow. It’s a fantastic bike for doing what it’s designed for though.

I would also consider a used two stroke 250 and think about adding a recluse clutch. This will make the bike almost impossible to stall and is really nice for technical trails. The two stroke sound doesn’t carry as far as modern four strokes also. You could turn any mx 250 two stroke into a trail bike or look for a Yamaha wr250 or yz250x. I had a yz250x, great bike.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Follow Def90s advice above or something similar. I rode a Ttr 250 for two decades hunting and hauling elk quarters on sketchy single track. I geared it down slightly and would just granny it in 1st or 2nd as needed. a great pucker factor hauling 80 pd quarters on your back on a sketchy trail🤣🤙

Baddog

WKR
I’ve had a montessa trials bike with a seat! Would work great for what you are describing and surprisingly enough they’ll do 50+ on a gravel road.
I also had beta 200 with tank and seat kit that I actually liked better than the montessa.

Karz

FNG
Agree. I wouldn’t want to haul anything heavy on a trails bike

robtattoo

WKR
As a fellow Tee-Dubber, would you maybe consider a few trail friendly modifications? It'll save you a good bit of cash & transform the bike.

1: Stiffer fork springs, balance the oil correctly & upgrade the rear spring.

2: Shitcan the Cycleracks rear rack & replace it with a Tusk. Stronger, more streamlined & just all around nicer. Trash the front rack entirely.

3: Switch out your (presumably) stock, 50 tooth rear sprocket for a 54 or 55 tooth. It'll make first gear useless on the road & bring your top speed down to around 45, but you'll be able to climb like a Spider Monkey on PCP.

4 If you're ok spending the money: Put a Shinko 241 tire up front to replace that heavy, uneven tread MotoX number. Do a trailer wheel conversion at the back. That opens up an entire world of 12" ATV tires with a far more suitable tread.

All said, that's going to run you about a grand. $500 of that is the rear wheel conversion.
However, you will be literally floored by how much better the bike is at handling single track, mud, rock, off-trail, snow & sand. The rear wheel alone inspires 100% more confidence.

I used to ride competitive technical trials back in England & I honestly couldn't imagine a worse bike for carrying any kind of load.

Last edited: