Who Mountain Bikes?

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
That is a good bike. I currently ride a Specialized Camber and have had multiple bikes over the years. I have been mountain biking for about 13 years. I know everyone is laughing because I live in ND but there is some good riding in the western portion of the state. That and I have ridden multiple states on the east coast.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's new and got a great deal.

Upgraded to XTR components as well.

It was between the Enduro and a Yeti. The Yeti was a bit more suited for all mountain/ downhill, but it didn't climb nearly as well as the duro.

The duro has the brain fade rear shock and isn't great on the downhill, but I'm probably going to do the Leadville 100 this year and this bike is perfect for that.

Rides somewhat like a hard tail on serious downhill, but great for xc racing.

We'll see if I regret the decision in a couple weeks.

boom

WKR
i LOVE mountain biking.

in terms of exertion..it goes like this in my life. best workout to lightest work out.

jogging -> mountain biking-> and roadbiking.

when my knees feel great and i am short on time, i jog. otherwise i roll out my 1999 Specialized FSR. the bike is getting long in the tooth, but it still rocks. i recently hung tough with a bunch of high schoolers riding the lastest hot bikes.

they kept calling me "old man". i told them..to stuff it with term. and at least i was the only one in the group that "mommy didnt buy me the bike". they laughed.

i am lucky. no snow and i live right near the best trails. big ups..big downs. it is an awesome workout. my wife green lighted a new mountain bike. i am gonna get a Santa Cruz Bronson!! but not yet.

just so you know. when i get a bike..i am going thru Denver's craigslist. you colo guys go thru bikes!! way cheaper than my hood.

jmez

WKR
Late to the party but you got a really nice bike Aaron. I mountain bike a lot, my main form of sustained cardio work to stay in shape. I prefer the FS bikes, I'll never go back to a hardtail. Most all of my riding is rough single track in the Black Hills and the HT's will just jar your teeth out. I have a trail right out of my driveway and it is about 1.5miles of rocks on a 17% grade.

For those inquiring, most of the rear shocks no longer have a lock out function on them. They are much improved over the previous models where the bike would collapse under you if you were really into the pedals on an uphill. They now are set by your weight and they don't give as much. You can set the rebound speed on them but not actually lock them. I was skeptical of this system but it actually works really well. Currently riding a Giant Trance and like the suspension better than the lockout I had on my older Specialized. Much more functional and I make some long steep climbs and there have been no issues.

Aaron, have you ridden a 29er before? This Giant is my first and there is good, bad. It is not nearly as "nimble" on downhills as a 26 inch bike. Fast corners will feel completely different with the big wheels, it is going to feel like you need a parking lot to turn the thing around and takes a lot of getting used to. You will really notice/feel the difference when you start taking it downhill on a tight trail. Be careful the first few times. I don't think I'd get another 29er if I had to do it again. It climbs nice and really rolls over stuff on the trail but I'm not a fan of how it handles. I find it big and clumsy for lack of a better term.

I would add, Runtastic makes a great, free mountain bike app for smartphones. It will log all of your rides, keeps track of distance, where you went etc. At the end of the ride gives nice summaries, % grade, %uphill, %downhill etc. Times you in 1 mile splits. Really nice for mapping your progress as you can ride the same routes and see how your times differ etc. They also make one for road biking and hiking.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
Aaron, have you ridden a 29er before? This Giant is my first and there is good, bad. It is not nearly as "nimble" on downhills as a 26 inch bike. Fast corners will feel completely different with the big wheels, it is going to feel like you need a parking lot to turn the thing around and takes a lot of getting used to. You will really notice/feel the difference when you start taking it downhill on a tight trail. Be careful the first few times. I don't think I'd get another 29er if I had to do it again. It climbs nice and really rolls over stuff on the trail but I'm not a fan of how it handles. I find it big and clumsy for lack of a better term.

great description. i borrowed my buddies 29. well we switched bikes. it was really apple to oranges because his bike is a hardtail 29er. the thing carved corners slow. some corners i didnt know how they were going to play out. going over small logs and rocks..FUN!

what i did notice..disc brakes are head and shoulders above the crap i have on my bike. i almost crashed going back to my ancient rig. man-o-man..disc brakes really are amazing.

my next bike will more than likely be a Santa Cruz 5010. a 27.5er!! haha. i need to ride it first. and i want to buy used.

jmez

WKR
You do a lot of climbing Bitteroot? I'd demo the giant first. My Trance 29er is very light on the front end. My only complaint with the bike. Hard to keep the front end on the ground climbing. Also have little to no steering control so it is bad on a tight technical climb. The geometry will change some with the smaller bike and would think this would improve. Great bike otherwise really like mine.

Wrongside

WKR
I love riding. Have been using a Specialized Hardrock Comp the last few years and like it a lot. Only ever had hard tails, but thinking I may need to get with the get here soon and try me one of them new fangled FS bikes... :)

Mike7

WKR
I love mountain biking. Easy on the knees and I can take a quick ride when I get home after work, even this time of year in the dark and not have to worry about getting stuck 5 miles from home on the road bike with a flat tire. My bird dogs can get a decent workout also as I hold them back a lot less when I am on the bicycle.

Since I don't do crazy stuff anymore, it is really nice to have the light XC bikes which can just be carried fairly easily from one logging road to another or over kelly humps.

I really liked my old Specialized Stumpjumper and used the crap out of that XC bicycle, but last year when I needed a replacement because of a broken frame, I found out that the geometry seemed to have changed with the newer Specialized XC bikes (it didn't feel as comfortable to me). So I ended up with the Giant Anthem (full suspension still) and like that geometry/feel better. I do feel a little more out of control on some downhills with the 29 inch wheels compared to 26 inches, but like the ability to roll through obstacles easier.

I personally would never get a bike without disc brakes again now (these are much better overall if you are a heavier guy and plan on riding in wet, muddy conditions).

That 27.5 inch wheel sounds like a very interesting concept.

I love mountain biking. I bought a GT Avalanche 15 years ago, and it hung in my garage for many years because I spent most of my spare time with our horses. The horses are now gone, and the bike is getting the tar beat out of it.

I get some laughs at my old school retro ride, and will upgrade sometime soon. However, for the next couple of years this will fit the bill.

Yukondog

WKR
Aron - January 1 is when you can register for the Leadville 50. As you know you must qualify for the the 100 or have some luck with the lottery. My plan is to ride the Rocky Mtn Endurance series this year and do the qualifier. If you qualify you can race this year or defer to following year. My goal is to give myself this summer and next to qualify by riding the 50 with hopes to run the 100 in 2015.

Give me a call. I have not found anyone dumb enough to do it with yet. Everyone I talk to who has done it or is a serious rider laughs at me. They say it is not a joke, hardest race around.

My goal for the 100 is getting the buckle. I believe that is 8hrs or better.

Matt

Aron,
Great bike! I know its kinda expensive but get a dropper post. It will change you life.

Lukem

WKR
I love mountain biking. I bought a GT Avalanche 15 years ago, and it hung in my garage for many years because I spent most of my spare time with our horses. The horses are now gone, and the bike is getting the tar beat out of it.

I get some laughs at my old school retro ride, and will upgrade sometime soon. However, for the next couple of years this will fit the bill.
A few years back I rode a Proflex 756 :) Got lots of funny looks riding a springer front fork, but boy was it nimble. Nothing like having 1.5" travel up front with 4" rear. Really wish the frame hadn't cracked on that one.

boom

WKR
A few years back I rode a Proflex 756 :) Got lots of funny looks riding a springer front fork, but boy was it nimble. Nothing like having 1.5" travel up front with 4" rear. Really wish the frame hadn't cracked on that one.

hahah..i had that same bike!! my frame cracked also. one of the rear pivots split opened. loved that thing. no bike has ever fit me so well.

i replaced it with my current bike. in 1999. still riding it every week. every day this summer. i need a new bike. my forks and rear shock are getting weird. not worth the $$ to rebuild them.

here it is..and me.

photo(5).jpg