Meat packout using a bike

Jfujan

FNG
I'm looking at buying a bicycle and trailer for gated forest service roads and trails. (when allowed). It'll be used for hunting elk in Colorado. I don't have much experience with bikes and im looking for any advice/tips from those who have done this before. Lots of questions...

Is there a benefit to a fat/mid fat tire bike vs a standard hardtail mountain bike when pulling a trailer?

I'm assuming a packout is still very difficult with a bike trailer fully loaded....Is it possible to climb steep roads with 75lbs-100lbs of meat on a bike with trailer? I understand this is dependent on the slope angle and the person, just looking for others past experiences. Worried about getting back in 5 miles just to realize once loaded down it's extremely difficult or impossible to climb elevation.

My plan right now to use an old double tire kid hauler with metal spokes but I'm wondering if a single tire would be better for a trails due to it being narrower. Can a single tire generally handle less weight? Is it harder to balance?

Thanks!

*zap*

WKR
you can always walk the bike uphill. I would suggest two things:

a bipod kickstand and a metal pannier rack for the back. I had a piece of plate steel welded on my pannier and put an eye in it to attach my baby jogging stroller..I tow that backwards and can use it to get stuff in or out farther than the bike will go. I can also tow my deer cart. ymmv.

you can set it up and try it before season to see what will work.

We saw two guys pack a bull out last year on mountain bikes. They rode the bikes in to hunt and then rode/walked out with the meat packed/strapped to the bikes. Seemed pretty slick.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I've lived in Colorado 17 years, and maybe its just where I hunt, but I've never really elk hunted very often in areas that are accessible via bike. I've done quite a bit of bear hunting in Montana and those gated logging roads are the perfect environment for a bike in my opinion. I also use my bike and trailer for hauling treestands out to spots on flatter ground.
I will say that those kids hauler trailers arent going to hold up to a whole lot of abuse. 75 to 100lbs in a trailer is down right dangerous on anything but relatively flat ground. Active logging roads are best in this scenario because they typically follow the contour lines so loaded trucks arent having to pull up or down steep inclines. In my experience, you arent going to be able to pedal uphill very far with any significant weight on a trailer. Going downhill with that much weight can get pretty dangerous, real quick.
If you've got spots already picked out that you know are bike-able, then disregard my comments lol.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
I've hauled a few elk out on bikes. All were on closed roads but those roads were in pretty good condition. I used a hardtail bike with "BOB" single wheel trailer. Balance was the first learning curve, with all that weight back there, the front end of your bike gets a little sketchy. Not so much so to prevent you from using it but ride cautiously.

I pushed the bike on most of the steeper uphills. It seems easier to do it this way overall and also provided a reprieve from my legs and taint.

About that taint, I used a standard semi-padded seat. When I went in to drop camp initially, I had camp in the trailer and my hunting pack on my back. The pack wasn't super heavy, maybe 40 lbs, but I learned later this was a mistake. Taint got a little beat up on that initial ride in and then got worse on the packouts. We were 6-7 miles in. In hindsight, I'd upgrade the seat to a more padded one, and put all the weight I have in the trailer instead of any on my back for anything but short trips.

I think it's a great way to go, just consider how broken in your body is, beIMG_4835.jpgfore riding a bike, and proceed accordingly.

IMG_4840.jpg

taskswap

WKR
I can't speak to trailers but I've used my mountain bike to save time getting down some logging roads here and there and think it's a great idea. It's a great idea but two things to consider:

1. Definitely get a bike with a suspension. Mine was a cheap Craiglist find without one, and I'm here to tell you that a typical rocky and rutted-out logging road can be brutal if you don't.

2. Watch your weight and balance. If you're like me most of your bike experience was probably not carrying anything at all. You start adding panniers or weight in your pack and suddenly every rut on the trail starts looking scary. A lot of bikes are just not designed to carry more than 1 adult human.

I can't imagine trying to bike with a trailer attached in the places I go. But YMMV.

One more thing: plan how you carry your rifle. You do not want it just hanging off one shoulder - you drop your shoulders as you grip the handlebars and it will slip off. Plus it will be in harm's way if you fall. I carried mine across my back (sling across my chest) and that works fine, but not if you have a big pack with you. If your pack can carry it, great, if not, if you have a trailer, maybe consider carrying it in there...

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i've used a bike extensively on forest service roads for hunting. and i'll second @Titan_Bow's comments.

will you be able to RIDE a fully loaded trailer uphill? Nope. Maybe Lance Armstrong could at the height of his drug frenzy. Not me. I can ride my bike loaded with my backpack, water, rifle, and a change of clothes uphill 3 miles on a not-so-steep logging road that's hard packed dirt and some gravel with minimal rutting and I'm a sweaty mess even when it's 20F out and i'm trying to take it easy.

going downhill with 100lbs requires some good brakes. i use a two-wheel trailer instead of an inline bob trailer bc it's rated for a little more weight but that also means i have to avoid large rocks with my bike tires and then also two extra tires wide behind me. needless to say, one of my trailer rims is a bit warped. but i throw a large tote on the trailer and i can dump a full dressed deer in there or 1/4+ of elk.

if i were anticipating skinnier tracks maybe i'd pick up a bob trailer, but i hunt the same area every year and i know i can get in and out on a bike, but also, if things go south and tires blow or something breaks, i know it's a 5 mile hike back to my truck at the most and 40 minutes back to my house and there's already beers back at my truck. and more beer at home.

hauling out that elk was rough and that was a 1/2 mile uphill hike from the scene of the crime to my bike, then 2 miles of flat road, and 2 miles downhill to the truck with a fully loaded trailer and a full backpack on my back. then rinse and repeat after riding back up the hill. it's also not overly simple to load up a trailer, and your bike, and your backpack all at the same time. i'm just dumb enough to do it.

and let's just say, when it rains on a freshly cut logging road your easy 3 mile triumphant bike ride with your buddy's deer on the last day of season can become an eight hour ordeal that makes you and your buddy want to quit hunting.
lol

Attachments

• IMG_9678[1].JPG
    IMG_9678[1].JPG
    631.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1681[1].JPG
    IMG_1681[1].JPG
    491.2 KB · Views: 62

Marble

WKR
I used my regular mountain bike last year to pack out one of my bulls. My path going out was 95% downhill with lots of small down trees and one fence crossing. The uphill portion was more difficult but doable. I just used my kifaru pack and took about 60-70 pounds at a time. Getting 100 pounds in a pack and then riding a bike becomes cumbersome. When you have to get off the bike, it's difficult to not lose your balance.

The last load I had both front shoulders, all of the trim and the head/antlers and a portion of the cape. The problem was the horns would get into my handle bars. I stopped to get off and fell on my ass, breaking a load lifter.

It was so much easier than hiking out the loads, much faster and easier on my body. I did about 10-11 miles, 4 trips and was done by noon.

I'm not sure how the trailer thing would work. I think for uphill stuff, you would be screwed. It also might limit you on where you could go. If I depended on a trailer for mine it wouldn't have worked with all the dead fall and fence crossing.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

did you make that trailer?
Bob trailer, i have discovered that you will overload your brakes, before overloading the trailer. 2 hinds off of a 6pt will let you see how good of brakes and riding skill you have. I prefer hydraulic disc brakes and "good" bikes, not walmart specials. But i am a mountain biker and have certain standards with bikes.

I have probably hauled 15 bull elk out on the bob trailers, a few deer and a lion. For me they work extremely well, but I ride bikes year round. Last years bull was just a spike, so pretty easy, but i was in 5 miles. All uphill or downhill, depending on which way i was going. I pulled my first bull out in 2002 and have never looked back.

for people that don't ride bikes, this method might seem ridiculous and not doable and for them, they are correct. I have found that gated roads do work best, peddling uphill with a load depends on one fitness and strength and desire. I have also, learned ride in, change in the woods and then go hunting. I typically have a big drybag on my rear rack with clothes in it, because you will sweat peddling in.

I have killed a couple of 6x7 bulls 1"road" hunting off of the bike. peddle to the clear cut and glass, peddle to the next clear cut and glass, ect. For many years i would pack a camp in and set up for a few days.

Attachments

• 20221020_104812.jpg
    20221020_104812.jpg
    704.8 KB · Views: 55
OP
Jfujan

Jfujan

FNG
Bob trailer, i have discovered that you will overload your brakes, before overloading the trailer. 2 hinds off of a 6pt will let you see how good of brakes and riding skill you have. I prefer hydraulic disc brakes and "good" bikes, not walmart specials. But i am a mountain biker and have certain standards with bikes.

I have probably hauled 15 bull elk out on the bob trailers, a few deer and a lion. For me they work extremely well, but I ride bikes year round. Last years bull was just a spike, so pretty easy, but i was in 5 miles. All uphill or downhill, depending on which way i was going. I pulled my first bull out in 2002 and have never looked back.

for people that don't ride bikes, this method might seem ridiculous and not doable and for them, they are correct. I have found that gated roads do work best, peddling uphill with a load depends on one fitness and strength and desire. I have also, learned ride in, change in the woods and then go hunting. I typically have a big drybag on my rear rack with clothes in it, because you will sweat peddling in.

I have killed a couple of 6x7 bulls 1"road" hunting off of the bike. peddle to the clear cut and glass, peddle to the next clear cut and glass, ect. For many years i would pack a camp in and set up for a few days.
Thanks for the info. I noticed in your pictures that you're using a regular mountain bike with the BOB and then what appears to be a fat tire in others. Do you prefer the fat tire? What model is it?

BOB Ibex or regular BOB trailer work well. You can also get an aluminum framed 2 wheel trailer for kids, then strip it down to the frame and attatch ¹/4" or 3/8" plywood to make a flat deck then add eyelet screws as tie down points.

The bicycle is completely up to you, just make sure it has good disc brakes and a good rear cog with 10 or 11 speeds so you can grind up steep hills.

Thanks for the info. I noticed in your pictures that you're using a regular mountain bike with the BOB and then what appears to be a fat tire in others. Do you prefer the fat tire? What model is it?
I started using my backup mountain bike and then in 2015 i built the pugsley up for hunting.
I like having both front and rear racks, to use and the frame bag is awesome. Revelate designs makes some gret bike packing gear. I have 2 sets of wheels, that i use. 26x4 when things are real muddy and or snow. 29x3 most of the time. I like both racks, because i can haul the loose meat out on the front rack and peddle back in with the trailer. I truly enjoy this style of hunting. I will say the bob does not like snow.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    563.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20171015_125744.jpg
    20171015_125744.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Untitled attachment 00079.jpg
    Untitled attachment 00079.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Untitled attachment 00159.jpg
    Untitled attachment 00159.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 44
What seasons are you going to be hunting in? Is there a lot of horse traffic on the trails?

First year I went elk hunting me and a couple guys took mountain bikes. It was Colorado second season in a wilderness area. Our plan was to bike in several miles and set up a spike camp and stay there. I loving referred to them as wheeled anchors by the end of the trip. Between the snow, mud, horse traffic tearing up the trail, it sucked. One of the guys had a trailer. The trailer wheels would clog up with mud and then turned the trailer into a rudder which sent him ass over tea kettle a couple of times.
IMO the horse traffic created almost a washboard effect on the trails, which beat the hell out of you.
Almost every incline we were pushing them up the hill. Be careful on the down hill side to things can get squirrley very quick.
I would not do it again, but it looks like some guys have successfully used them.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
I think the wider tires are a huge help. You don’t have to go “fat tire”, but somwthing like a 2.4” wide is a nice balance and really helps if you hit patches of mud or sand or snow.

I have a 2 wheeled trailer and it’s fine for closed roads, but if the riding gets technical at all (either single track or bad road with a bunch of large exposed rocks) then a single wheel trailer will be much better.

Riding with weight up on your back can be treacherous b/c your center of gravity is so high. And, it’s going to make your taint hurt so bad after one day that you won’t be able to ride the bike again for a week. I wear padded biking shorts under my clothes on ride in/out days. And I’ve also put a glassing pad on the seat before to help. Using a trailer, panniers, a frame bag, etc helps a ton. REI has some great add on options to even add storage on front forks and handlebars to help distribute weight so it’s not all on the back end.

A shitty bike is not going to be any fun. But a not shitty bike is very expensive. If you can afford to spend $2k and up you’ll be very happy with the experience and mtn biking is a great outdoor hobby for anyone that likes to hunt. I’m sure you can find something cheaper, I’m no expert, but the good stuff (suspension, disk brakes, drop post seats, etc) costs good money and there is no way around that.

And, in addition to the cost of the bike, the trailer can be $300 new, a receiver mount bike rack is shockingly expensive for quality.

I added a swing-out mount as well for my bike rack, so that I don’t have to fight with the bike to access the bed of my truck or use the tailgate. It’s an amazing tool, but again the costs just keep racking up….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ehunter

FNG
We saw two guys pack a bull out last year on mountain bikes. They rode the bikes in to hunt and then rode/walked out with the meat packed/strapped to the bikes. Seemed pretty slick.
Done it that way for years but get a good bike lamp and use a head lamp