Who Mountain Bikes?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
On the other hand I DESPISE road bikers - don't be one of those guys. The only real time I miss my diesel is when I pass a flock spandex - sure was fun to smoke them out.

I used to put some serious miles on a road bike.........and I drive a diesel truck.:) If a guy in a diesel smoked me out, I'd just assume that he was a little man or a kid. Pretty much like I do these days every time I see a smoker, or the stacks in back, or the semi wheels, or the lifted dually's.

Also have the Cannondale mountain bike, but just haven't been spending much time riding. My buddy and I used to use our old 10-speed Schwinn's as mountain bikes before mountain bikes were even around. Especially for downhilling.......and all without helmets. I think that was before bike helmets as well.

Last edited:

handwerk

WKR
I was really into it 20+ years ago and then got back into it 6 years ago to ride with my oldest son. Where I live it's a great way to see the country and stay in shape. I've done a couple races and learned pretty quick that at 47 I needed to train more if I wanted to compete. I did have a bad wipe-out 2 years ago and will forever have a seperated shoulder so my racing days maybe over but I hope to keep riding til I'm an old man. I have a older GT FS bike which I really enjoy.
I'd say go for it!
View attachment 12206

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have been riding MTB since grade school. I just got into road riding this last year. I really enjoy it, and it extends the season. Here in MT, the MTB season is pretty short, and much of it overlaps hunting season, which takes precedence.

I ride a full suspension bike, and my next one will squish on both ends, too.

Another plus to MTB is the adventures you can have:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?2595-Goshawk!!!!

Like others, rode a BMX bike in school then transitioned to a MTB. Have raced MTB while living in Portland and also riding a road bike to and from work everyday. I definitely noticed a difference in my lungs and stamina by doing the daily commute by bike. Been riding a full suspension bike since '99 and would definitely recommend it over a hard tail.

There are several areas in MT that I've ridden behind a closed gate and get to my hunting area in 15 minutes versus 45 if I were walking in.

It would be recommended to purchase the best you can afford as it will be with you for decades.

a3dhunter

WKR
I have a hardtail that I bought when in Texas, after riding it on trails up here in Colorado I sure wish I had saved a little more and went full suspension. It seems like new pricing is around a grand just to get something that won't break. Then $1,500-2,000 for something nice.
Definitely would save money going the used route.

trkyslr

WKR
I'd like to get into it but the options and prices are a bit overwhelming when looking at different bikes. I know a lot of guys in my area will use them to access gated lands for hunting/scouting as well as just another form of fun/excercise.

So a question to you guys who run full suspension bikes. How easy is it to lock out the rear suspension for climbing hills? Also what kind of protective gear do you use?
Good helmut all i wear for safety. Im not worrying about road rash as im not riding at high speeds

Ozz08

WKR
I have a hardtail that I bought when in Texas, after riding it on trails up here in Colorado I sure wish I had saved a little more and went full suspension. It seems like new pricing is around a grand just to get something that won't break. Then $1,500-2,000 for something nice.
Definitely would save money going the used route.

What's the reason you wish you had the full suspension? This question goes to all the guys that like full suspension over a hard tail. I've been on a full suspension a couple times and I always preferred a hard tail. Now this may be because when I used to ride it was about 70/30 dirt/paved. I hated the FS on paved surfaces.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
If you ride a lot of gravel or pavement HTs are fine, but most quality FS bikes have a rear lockout, so you aren't out anything but a bit of weight savings if you go FS.

For trail riding the extra cush goes a long way, IMO.

When I ride pavement, it is on the road bike.

Last edited:

a3dhunter

WKR
What's the reason you wish you had the full suspension? This question goes to all the guys that like full suspension over a hard tail. I've been on a full suspension a couple times and I always preferred a hard tail. Now this may be because when I used to ride it was about 70/30 dirt/paved. I hated the FS on paved surfaces.

The extra cush would be nice after 10-15 miles of single track. By mile 15 my legs are jello most of the time.

Roy68

WKR
My MTB experience is limited. I own a 29er hardtail. I like it on my very rural roads. I ride a lot of unmaintained roads and it rolls nice with the bigger wheels. It's down fall is that the bigger wheel is harder to control from side impacts. The full suspension would be a must if you are worried about keeping the wheels on the ground when it's rough going down hill. A lockout would be great. I can lock my front for going uphill and I leave it that way most of the time.

I deplore running and after a major back surgery I got in to road biking. That was 6 years ago and from May thru August I average 150 miles a week. I'm usually around 3000 miles a year. I find huge stamina and cardio benefits from it. My Cervelo is currently for sale. I'm done with the road bike life. A friend of mine is now a paraplegic after being clipped. Another is dead after a hit and run, she was a mother of 3. The driver had the whole road to miss her, instead he was honking the horn and not exercising the rules of the road. There were many witnesses in the sanctioned road ride. The guy was arrested 24 hours later and is facing manslaughter charges. We do not have a trail system where I live. Being a father of 3 boys, and a husband has me selling my roadie so as not to be a victim of being "smoked out" by some d-bag!!

Go to the LBS and learn what you like and then buy used. Bikes depreciate quick like a car in the first year, and there are lots for sale at the end of a season or just before the start of the next. It is not uncommon to find bikes 40 - 50% less than last years new price. Clip less pedals are a must, I like Shimano as they have about 4 degrees of float at the cleat / pedal interface and they at bomb proof. Crank Brothers are nice too. Also make sure you get a proper fitting at the LBS (local bike store). It will prevent injury and make you a more efficient and comfortable rider.

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I am a crank bros pedal guy.

Buying used is ok, but frames can be damaged and not show the damage well or at all. Have a reputable bike shop check it out if you can.

Buying last years model on closeout in the winter can save you a bunch on a new bike.

This is my second favorite thing to do. We have sick trails on the Western slope. It would be well worth the drive over the hill and moab it only another hr. I would highly recommend a Yeti ASR-7. A Racked out head and plush suspension system will have you crushing things you never would think of with a cross country set up.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Specialized Enduro Comp.....with some upgraded components!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385948075219.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385948075219.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 175

Huntr

Lil-Rokslider
I ride a Specialized Carve Comp. Love this bike! Used to be a hard core road racer and triathlete years ago. Riding off road is much safer seeing that so many drivers are texting/ reading texts on the roads these days....