Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gobbler36

WKR
I had not heard the term "adult onset hunter" preceded by a pound sign, or "hashtag" as the kids call it, until recent "trends" on social media made it vogue.

People can deny social media and YouTube accounts are culpable all they want, but I've been a member on hunting and fishing forums for about 18 or so years, and it wasn't until FB, Twitter, Instagram and monetized hunting YouTube channel usage became more widespread did I see and encounter an uptick in people and vehicles sporting the same clothes, packs, gear, window stickers etc crowding the woods and doing what they see "influencers" doing. I have to believe what my eyes, ears and instincts are telling me is true based off my observations. It's no coincidence.
Yes
So true!

Perhaps you missed the the part where I said I did turn it off?

Unfortunately, that doesn't stop the hunting woods from being overcrowded by people recruited by these DIY, public land advocates who make their name and money off exploiting these lands, then use their connections to run to private land to make "content" after the damage has been done. They aren't dealing with the very people they've brought into this pastime that are only there because it looks cool on YT or Instagram, with absolutely no woodsmanship skills, flinging arrows at game from a hundred yards out, walking into someone actively working a bull, etc. This is my experience now. This is what I and others who do practice woodsmanship and ethics afield and scout hard have to put up with year in and year out. And as I've previously stated, it has gotten worse since Social Media in hunting as gotten popularized.

And maybe that sounds elitist, but I have no problem with recruiting new hunters, but I do have a problem with the way its being done, and the type of new "hunters" I am encountering in the woods. If you're truly making this content out of altruistic intent and to give back, then quit monetizing your social media, quit trying to sell me gear and discount codes, and hunt the very land and ground you made a name for yourself on. Don't whore it out for "likes" and "subscribes" then put it away rode hard and wet for the rest of us while you move onto greener pastures...literally.

This I cannot turn off.
Okay, that's more clear. I hear what you're saying there.

Younger generations were never going to hunt the way we do, with or without social media. And older generations have been complaining about younger generations for probably centuries, so I don't really blame those differences on technology.

I’d definitely say they go hand in hand at ruining western hunting
Ruining only for those who were western hunting before those things existed. It is a type of privilege to have that background and opportunity before these tools existed. I had that privilege on little-known public lands here in Texas myself, hunting places like Amistad and Aquilla reservoirs when they were known only by a very few people. I could hunt either place all day, see 30+ deer and not another hunter. Nowdays you'll see 30 hunters and no deer. But rather than complain about how things are today, I choose to be thankful for all those hunts I had back in the day because the younger guys and ladies today will never get to experience that, and for that reason I feel sorry for them. I am also careful not to spoil some younger person's experience by going on and on about how much "better" things used to be. For them, that's irrelevant. They should get to enjoy things as they find them. They shouldn't have to listen to us go on about how great things were back in the day any more than we want to listen to our grandparents go on about skies going dark with waterfowl or 300" bulls behind every tree.

All this IMO really comes down to how generous a person is. If you're a generous person, you'll want the next generation of hunters to have it every bit as good as you did. I know I wish that for my kids and their friends.

Last edited:

OXN939

WKR
Sure, he'll wax poetic about how he earned it with hard work (which he did) but it aint how it's insinuated.

One thing that bothers me about that guy specifically is affecting personas for financial gain that he very definitively did not earn. Look at any of the profiles he has and see how often he mentions veterans, specifically those of the SOF persuasion. "Keep hammering." "Mental toughness." "Your body is capable of so much more than you think it is." "Watch me do this extreme endurance event with a bunch of team guys and then buy my merch... to support veterans." Hanes never served a day in his life, but he sure as hell has made a lot of money off drawing attention to himself and his associations with them, specifically one very small component of the military.

Like most of the rest of the world of influencers, a self aggrandizing, narcissistic scam.

Shupe88

WKR
Interesting - you think the elk had anything to do with it? Or are you not in that area specifically.

I’m not that far west. Close but not quite. I think it has to do with people thinking public land hunting is the new best thing! Good thing is they don’t kill shit! Just take up space. And speaking of elk becoming more popular here each year, I can’t wait to see the shit show next year when they release tags to be drawn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlgc20

WKR
And we all used to walk 5 miles in the snow, uphill both ways to get to school. I hate social media as much as anyone. I don't even have any social media accounts other than Rokslide. But, blaming the ills of society/hunting on social media is lazy and short sighted. It’s become it’s own ironic cottage of industry, of using one technology platform to blame a different technology platform.

Joe Rogan…

It may have already be said, but a I would argue he is responsible for the majority of adult onset hunters (among other things), especially during the pandemic.

Then Meateater and Hunting Public show up in their Google and YouTube searches and the rest is history.

At least that is how half of the people I know who started hunting for the first time this year got into it.

wapitibob

WKR
Bob, I gotta believe hunter days have increased significantly. The time in the mountain scouting, the AZ/UT/NV style "team" hunt with 7 people helping for a single tag. The effort and hunter days put into a single tag.
Yea, I can't argue with that. The posse hunting in AZ and UT has gotten stupid. I spend a whole lot more time hunting than I used to but I'm retired. I suspect others may be "making the time" to go; placing more emphasis on being outside vs hanging around town.

Last edited:

Elkangle

WKR
I think as long as people know to admire the animal more then the hunter this is a non issue

But with that said...what's wrong with giving the hunter some respect too? Some scenarios represent an unbelievable effort..and no one is more humbled by that then the guy who actually did the work and is in the photo

Go dark if that's your style, write a book, start a show, do a magazine article, insta page, face book...doesn't matter...there's less space and more people.. more bitching of why "it sucks this year"....should have been here back in the early 2000s! Should of been here in the 90s ! Well I'm here now...and there's damn good hunting to be had

FLATHEAD

WKR
Covid Money: I think everybody and their nephew bought a mud boat with it.
Literally hundreds of these things at the boat ramp since duck season came in.
Even during the week. It's unreal.
No way I'm getting on the water.

Htm84

WKR
One thing that bothers me about that guy specifically is affecting personas for financial gain that he very definitively did not earn. Look at any of the profiles he has and see how often he mentions veterans, specifically those of the SOF persuasion. "Keep hammering." "Mental toughness." "Your body is capable of so much more than you think it is." "Watch me do this extreme endurance event with a bunch of team guys and then buy my merch... to support veterans." Hanes never served a day in his life, but he sure as hell has made a lot of money off drawing attention to himself and his associations with them, specifically one very small component of the military.

Like most of the rest of the world of influencers, a self aggrandizing, narcissistic scam.
I’m pretty sure his sons SOF. So that would explain his focus on that. Of all the reasons to trash that guy that ain’t one in my book.

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
Joe Rogan…

It may have already be said, but a I would argue he is responsible for the majority of adult onset hunters (among other things), especially during the pandemic.

Then Meateater and Hunting Public show up in their Google and YouTube searches and the rest is history.

At least that is how half of the people I know who started hunting for the first time this year got into it.

Rogan is probably a good call, he's one of the loudest influencers reaching dudes with money and no sense of direction. They're a ripe crowd for the neutraceuticals, buy these vitamin stacks to enhance your MASCULINE POWER kinda BS. I first heard about his garbage from a bunch of suburban accountants my age who were suddenly talking about how we needed to eat more elk meat.

Not a lot of them talking about eating squirrel or rabbits though. I guess it's not manly enough?

Joe Rogan…

I think some of you guys give people like Joe, or Steve or even Randy far too much credit. I know several "adult onset hunters" that I've mentored over the years and they have no clue who Joe or Steve or Randy are. I'm glad we have Joe and Steve and Randy, but I think there are just a lot of adults who have grown up surrounded by concrete who once they became adults in charge of their own time and resources, finally had a chance to explore hunting. This pandemic has only added to that number, with more people going outside than we've seen in decades.

Rogan is probably a good call, he's one of the loudest influencers reaching dudes with money and no sense of direction. They're a ripe crowd for the neutraceuticals, buy these vitamin stacks to enhance your MASCULINE POWER kinda BS. I first heard about his garbage from a bunch of suburban accountants my age who were suddenly talking about how we needed to eat more elk meat.

Not a lot of them talking about eating squirrel or rabbits though. I guess it's not manly enough?
I heard eating squirrels will make your nuts shrink. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the article Matt R. I agree wholeheartedly.

Unfortunately I think the effort has as much chance succeeding as stopping prostitution, and there are far more similarities than just outcome. Pimps, whores, johns, and then the rest of us old grumps shaking our fists at them. Here we have a commodity that has purchasers available and sellers willing. The old grumps just wish that the commodity was not available for sale, especially as they are really whoring out that which we own and love in common.

I was raised hunting in MT and remember when we could knock on doors for access all over eastern MT. To hunt mule deer we were sometimes asked to hunt antelope as well, to hunt antelope bucks we were asked to also hunt does, etc. Tags were unlimited often. It has really changed for the worse for hunters. Some of that was simply inevitable but much of the detriment has been accomplished by a few--those doing the selling can put whatever face on it to assuage their guilt but it does not change the facts.

Where would hunting be without all of the hunter recruitment, advocacy, and spin of our social media heroes? In a much better place, I think. The influencers have saved hunting to death.

Marble

WKR
I'm not going to go through the entire thread.

Social media didn't enter into my hunting life until maybe 5 years ago? Instagram and this place only. And now I can't remember the last time I posted a grip and grin.

I've stopped posting most of my successes and share less and less locations and pictures because friends (and people who know me and are not friends) see them and without exception, I get asked if they can join me on my next hunt. It's actually ruined my last several hunts.

I haven't even shared here in awhile.

Social media has also helped, mostly with technical information for archery, but I have other sources for that.

In my opinion, life would be much simpler without social media in general. I prefer the days where stories were shared in person, to my close family and friends. You know who they are, the ones you see all the time and already know you're on your trip and can't wait to hear everything about it over dinner.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.