Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

prm

WKR
There are not enough game animals to win this battle.

Hunters will never be the majority.

Aaron in the podcast mentions an account that posts stupid stuff, be he also said they're personal friends so he likes their stuff.

When people call out the bad actors, they just get blasted anyways. Have you ever seen someone call out the Bowmars? Greg Poole and Levi Morgan take it personally, and the Bowmars are accused of poaching, and have been the cause of getting a bear season removed.
100% agree that hunters will never be the majority. That’s why I don’t feel hunter recruitment to win elections is worthwhile. We shouldn’t be managing game via elections in the first place.

We should call out the instafamous idiots that make hunters look bad. Stupid shit that hurts all of us in terms of hunting should hurt them. They even said on the pod that Bowmar posting his shit was a poor choice. A little accountability would be helpful.

Deadfall

WKR
Well, that’s simplistic hot take that attempts to flip the script.

I don’t think anyone was complaining about not being able to kill deer. I believe its more in line with questioning the motivations of a individual who kills a lot of animals for the expressed purposes of social media content to build a hunting brand up and justifies these actions by passing along the surplus meat to his real estate agent wife to give to yuppies buying half million dollar + homes in the Denver market.
Near as I can tell he was hunting multiple animals long before social media.

As far as kifarucast, I think they prove Matt’s point. Everyone on that podcast gets monetary benefit from hunting, and they have platforms to influence many many hunters. Do you think our perspective is being skewed by people who stand to gain from more customers? How deep does that influence and motivation seep in to the rest of us?
At one point, Aron was droning on about how he would choose a backpack hunt over other types of hunting and how fulfilling and pure it is to hunt that way...

Yeah, you sell backpacks bro. Your input is meaningless when you stand to make a buck when you open your mouth on hunting issues.

Deadfall

WKR
Please, tell us how all these “new hunters” we need will improve our drawing odds and give us a better experience on limited game
I dont have a answer for that. All I can say is that I have 2 full size freezers. Both are full and I didn't put in for single drawing. Hunted for 12 weeks. Had a exceptional time.

Maybe all the "new hunters", politicians, land owners, outfitters and DIYers aren't the problem.

Maybe it's a matter of effort. Actually I completely believe it's a matter of effort.

Being dis-heartened because you didn't draw 13 tags. Instead of being elated about drawing 4 tags you didn't think you would. Hating on guys for shooting multiple animals when you have 4 tags..all just struck my funny bone.

As for hunter numbers...they ebb and flow.
I wonder why it is that success haven't skyrocketed like the number of western hunters has? Pretty simple reason....EFFORT.

Button

WKR
I read 23 pages of this. I’ll probably get imbeciles that want to burn me at the stake for saying this but the clear cut answer is population growth.
It’s a simple equation if your have any insight. It goes something like this.
More people equals less habitat for wildlife. It doesn’t take a genius to see it.I could type more but the ones that get it already know. The ones that don’t no amount of text will persuade them otherwise.

FWIW we are able to have children and have all the means in the world to raise them to have as wonderful of a life they can have in this day and age. But we have have opted out for many reasons.

I do not have any social media besides a few hunting forums. I left fb after a few years of use in 2014/15 not my type of thing. I’ve posted fishing pictures on this website in a thread. Figured it was a change of scenery coming from the gulf coast that some people might enjoyed to see. I love surf fishing. It’s what I’m best at. But Ive never tried to make it my job, though I could. As a 31 year old I literally have photo albums of fishing pictures. I like fishing but I’ll never paste it over the Internet(again).
I enjoying being a human and doing what I like to do for myself. I’m blessed my wife and friends accept me for who I am.

Looking forward to the next shark my nephews, niece, wife, friend will reel in, tag it, release it and submit the info to HARTE/Texas shark rodeo.

Deadfall

WKR
At one point, Aron was droning on about how he would choose a backpack hunt over other types of hunting and how fulfilling and pure it is to hunt that way...

Yeah, you sell backpacks bro. Your input is meaningless when you stand to make a buck when you open your mouth on hunting issues.
Uh...how did he end up with kufaru? Seems like he was backpack hunting in his construction days?

CJohnson

WKR
It’s “easier” and cheaper for me to drive from SC to Colorado to hunt elk than it is to hunt whitetails.

That’s crazy. You guys that love our west don’t know how good you’ve got it.

wapitibob

WKR
I'd disagree with you on this. I submitted 13 applications this fall total. I drew 4 tags. Those four i really didnt expect to draw and statistically could have easily not. 8 of the 13 I submitted were in my home state and I had decent odds aside from the big three. I drew none of them. That's not Arons fault but its a testament to how many are after a finite resource.

You can hunt Elk, Deer, and Antelope every year in WY. You can hunt Elk every year in CO and OR. You can Deer hunt every year in AZ. You can also hunt Elk every year in AZ and UT but those aren't much for hunts. Logistics can be tough depending on time of year but there's plenty of opportunity out here if someone wants to hunt.

Dirtbag

WKR
I dont have a answer for that. All I can say is that I have 2 full size freezers. Both are full and I didn't put in for single drawing. Hunted for 12 weeks. Had a exceptional time.

Maybe all the "new hunters", politicians, land owners, outfitters and DIYers aren't the problem.

Maybe it's a matter of effort. Actually I completely believe it's a matter of effort.

Being dis-heartened because you didn't draw 13 tags. Instead of being elated about drawing 4 tags you didn't think you would. Hating on guys for shooting multiple animals when you have 4 tags..all just struck my funny bone.

As for hunter numbers...they ebb and flow.
I wonder why it is that success haven't skyrocketed like the number of western hunters has? Pretty simple reason....EFFORT.
You missed the point of my post. I was disagreeing with the idea that not having tags was entirely that persons fault. I was using myself as an example that it is becoming increasingly harder to draw and obtain tags. I was ecstatic drawing the tags I did and made good on them. I at no point said I was disheartened or discouraged people from obtaining multiple tags.

Dirtbag

WKR
You can hunt Elk, Deer, and Antelope every year in WY. You can hunt Elk every year in CO and OR. You can Deer hunt every year in AZ. You can also hunt Elk every year in AZ and UT but those aren't much for hunts. Logistics can be tough depending on time of year but there's plenty of opportunity out here if someone wants to hunt.
for now....

kroppr77

FNG
Imagine getting pissed off that people like the same things you do, what a joke. I couldn’t imagine describing this to someone 20 years ago, they’d just laugh at all of us.
Even if you want to blame a million things on social media and influencers, why be on here or tell anyone anything about hunting?
Kifarucast said it best, Instagram doesn’t make people suck through a week long hunt or packing out an animal.

Deadfall

WKR
You missed the point of my post. I was disagreeing with the idea that not having tags was entirely that persons fault. I was using myself as an example that it is becoming increasingly harder to draw and obtain tags. I was ecstatic drawing the tags I did and made good on them. I at no point said I was disheartened or discouraged people from obtaining multiple tags.
No denying some tags are hard to get. If someone doesn't get tags, it's purely poor planning.

I did misconstrue some of what you saying.

Dirtbag

WKR
No denying some tags are hard to get. If someone doesn't get tags, it's purely poor planning.

I did misconstrue some of what you saying.
I can agree to this to an extent. My fear is that in the not so distant future thats not simply the case. That one can do all the planning but with the demand for the resource the opportunity simply is no longer reasonably there. Its becoming a much bigger investment financially and we are losing OTC opportunities seemingly yearly.

Deadfall

WKR
And?

It's no different than a board member at Pfizer talking about how dangerous the next variant is...
His input isn't meaningless to me. He may be a big personality, that doesn't change the fact the guy knows what he talking about when it comes backpacking.
I'm a contractor, I peddle ideas and material to customers all the time. They listen because of my experience.

I've been hunting out of a backpack since my dad was carrying me around in one. I can always learn from others. Sometimes I don't learn anything or don't agree with what they say. Doesn't make what they say meaningless

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
To me it seems that there is a bunch of people crying about too many other people doing the same thing they are. This would be legitimate if that thing was "sex with my wife" (not judging you if you're into that kind of thing). But it's hunting animals that are held in public trust.

Hunting opportunities are being diminished constantly, and "****'em, i got mine and I don't want to share" is the attitude that will allow more of it to happen.

Deadfall

WKR
I can agree to this to an extent. My fear is that in the not so distant future thats not simply the case. That one can do all the planning but with the demand for the resource the opportunity simply is no longer reasonably there. Its becoming a much bigger investment financially and we are losing OTC opportunities seemingly yearly.
Agreed. I also think this flows with economy. Soon as we have another crash, things will reset.
Seen that after 2008. Outfitter I worked for had a drop. There were significantly less people after that. Slowly has crawled back up. Worse now. Then again the next crash gonna be worse.
Fear is a dreadful thing. I'm as guilty having fear about stuff as anyone.
As consumers, we are our own worst enemy.

JRam07

FNG
To me it seems that there is a bunch of people crying about too many other people doing the same thing they are. This would be legitimate if that thing was "sex with my wife" (not judging you if you're into that kind of thing). But it's hunting animals that are held in public trust.

Hunting opportunities are being diminished constantly, and "****'em, i got mine and I don't want to share" is the attitude that will allow more of it to happen.
They're not going to get better with more hunters either, game animals are a limited resource, land is a finite resource.

Even if hunter numbers stay the same, land won't, as land is used for other things animals population will be effected, if they are opportunities will be effected.

In a way it's kind of funny given that Matt is a state ecologist who works on habitat that people just think he's an old man who is afraid of change. When in reality he's probably seen the damage people do first hand.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
They're not going to get better with more hunters either, game animals are a limited resource, land is a finite resource.

Even if hunter numbers stay the same, land won't, as land is used for other things animals population will be effected, if they are opportunities will be effected.

In a way it's kind of funny given that Matt is a state ecologist who works on habitat that people just think he's an old man who is afraid of change. When in reality he's probably seen the damage people do first hand.
Exactly, and we're all fighting over who gets to execute the last buffalo instead of trying to figure out how we can keep our children and grandchildren hunting them into the future. Because god forbid I don't get to buy the tag that I want every year.

Kifaru Cast just added their “rebuttal” to Rinella, episode 388. Pretty embarrassing 1:44 for those guys if you ask me. Would be interested to see @Aron Snyder respond here like Randy has. I’m sure he has better things to do than browse Rokslide, but he’s either seen this thread and actively decided to shit on a big portion of the Kifaru customer base, or hasn’t seen this thread and is waaay out of touch with a big portion of the Kifaru customer base.
Everyone except Rob in that "round table" was far too butt hurt to have an objective opinion on the article. Agree or not with what Matt Rinella had to say, he made his point in a respectable, mature way. I think Aron is right on a lot of things, like that we as hunters need to stick together. It's unfortunate that his own actions don't live up to his words. He acted similarly in regards to the Ranch Fairy, who again, agree with or not conducts himself in a mature and respectful manner. If we as a community can't put our egos aside and have an objective and respectful conversation about these sort of topics then we're no better than the "cancel culture" mob.

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.