Tikka 300wsm suppressor

Got a stainless tikka t3x in 300wsm I have thought about putting a suppressor on. If I had the barrel shortened to 20” would there be enough meat to thread it to 5/8x24? Also what would you consider to be the best suppressor to choose? Got a thunderbeast dealer not too far away.
Main gun I use it on would be the 300wsm, maybe stick it on a 22nosler AR I have over summer.
Thanks

If you do a forum search on threading Tikka’s, you will find a wealth of information on having them threaded with all the various options.

Got a stainless tikka t3x in 300wsm I have thought about putting a suppressor on. If I had the barrel shortened to 20” would there be enough meat to thread it to 5/8x24? Also what would you consider to be the best suppressor to choose? Got a thunderbeast dealer not too far away.
Main gun I use it on would be the 300wsm, maybe stick it on a 22nosler AR I have over summer.
Thanks
Thunderbeast is for sure the way to go. About the barrel thickness, with the .30 cal TB cans you need at least ~.75 (I believe have to check TB threading guide) in order to get a proper 5.8x24 thread pattern...however you could always just upgrade the barrel if you have an issue with the threading.

jimh406

WKR
Fwiw, you can use 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 adapters with a 30 cal suppressor. Some thin profile barrels like the Howa Superlite come as 1/2-28.

There is probably enough barrel to at least make it 1/2-28.

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider
Barrels can also be threaded for 5/8 and have a permanent shoulder added. One example here:

Reactions: ABK
OP
P
Never realized you could have a shoulder added to a barrel! That’s something I’ll have to look into for sure. As far as suppressors, which thunderbeast would be my best bet? I appreciate it.

Never realized you could have a shoulder added to a barrel! That’s something I’ll have to look into for sure. As far as suppressors, which thunderbeast would be my best bet? I appreciate it.
Ultra 9 or Magnus would be my vote But many prefer the Ultra 7 and Dominus for hunting being a little smaller and lighter

B23

WKR
As far as suppressors, which thunderbeast would be my best bet?
That'll depend on what is more important to you, the level of noise suppression or size. If size doesn't matter TBAC Magnus is the quietest 30 cal can on the market, BUT, the Magnus is a fairly large can.

I recently talked to the guys at TBAC and they are coming out with a short and medium length version of the Magnus that'll be out in January. From what I could squeeze out of TBAC the "medium" length version sounds like it'll be around 7-ish inches long +/- so if the full size Magnus is a little to long for you I think that new medium length version will be a winner!

And for what it's worth the guys at TBAC are awesome to talk to. I've called and talked to Zach, Ray, and a couple others I can't recall the name of at TBAC and they have, always, treated me extremely well no matter how stupid my question/s. If you have any questions go straight to the source and call/talk to one of the guys at TBAC.

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Fwiw, you can use 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 adapters with a 30 cal suppressor. Some thin profile barrels like the Howa Superlite come as 1/2-28.

There is probably enough barrel to at least make it 1/2-28.
FYI thunderbeast does not endorse using 1/2-28 on a 30cal with their product, they feel too little metal is retained.

For max suppression, a TBAC Magnus is what you want. If length/weight are a consideration I'd personally wait until January when the 7" Magnus comes out but up to you.

jimh406

WKR
FYI thunderbeast does not endorse using 1/2-28 on a 30cal with their product, they feel too little metal is retained.
Fwiw, I don't own one of their products or a 30 that is threaded 1/2-28.

But, the rifles are out there, so I wonder what Thunderbeast expects customers to do ... use a different brand?

Or, are they painting with too broad of a brush with 308 being a lot different than a 300 RUM or other magnum. Maybe they should clarify on their website forum posts since it appears they lump in all 30s together.

Likewise, it would be interesting to find out what the rifle manufacturers think.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Fwiw, I don't own one of their products or a 30 that is threaded 1/2-28.

But, the rifles are out there, so I wonder what Thunderbeast expects customers to do ... use a different brand?

Or, are they painting with too broad of a brush with 308 being a lot different than a 300 RUM or other magnum. Maybe they should clarify on their website forum posts since it appears they lump in all 30s together.

Likewise, it would be interesting to find out what the rifle manufacturers think.
I wasn’t being snarky for the record, just mentioning it since the original poster asked about thunderbeast. If that’s the route he’s headed it would make sense to do the shouldered 5/8-24 threading or worst case go 9/16-24 so he complies with the manufacturer just in case he has an issue. That’s was all. :)

ABK

FNG
Just had my .308 T3 Lite cut to 18in and threaded 5/8x24 with and added shoulder peice. Works very well.20231122_161950.jpg20231122_163541.jpg

I have the same gun and a TB Ultra 7. I had the barrel chopped to 20”, but rather than adding shoulder and threading, I sent it to Thunderbeast to have them facemount their quick disconnect adapter to the barrel.

OP
P
For max suppression, a TBAC Magnus is what you want. If length/weight are a consideration I'd personally wait until January when the 7" Magnus comes out but up to you.
Sure sounds like that would be the way to go, don’t mind waiting a little while longer. Really appreciate all the replies!