Should I have my barrel shortened for suppressor?

bobr1

WKR
Hello all,

Finally got my suppressor in and need to have my barrel threaded. I have read some conflicting stuff online about shortening the barrel as well to accommodate the suppressor for overall length. I have a tikka t3x with a 22.5 inch barrel and the suppressor is about 6.5 inches long. I use it as my main hunting rifle and tend to carry on my pack sling, especially when hiking in. I was wondering if this would cause problems hunting with it getting stuck on branches and brush when hiking up the mountains. Or if shortening it would cause issues with ballistic.
Also if shortening, how much should I have removed?

Anyways, and advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

ElPollo

WKR
The only real downside to shortening your barrel for use with a suppressor is velocity loss. Answering the question of how much to shorten requires that you evaluate how far you expect to shoot and what velocity the bullets you are shooting need to perform at that distance. For me, I am using tipped matchkings that need about 1800 fps at impact to reliably upset. With a 16.5” barrel and my handloads and elevation, I am hitting that velocity at a bit over 650 yards. If I were using something like a non-lead Barnes TTSX, I would want to keep my impacts at about 2100 fps and a similar load would hit that velocity at about 400 yards. Generally speaking you can assume about 25 fps difference per inch of barrel. So evaluate your hunting needs, the bullet you are using, and play with a ballistics calculator to see what sort of numbers you’ll come up with and shorten accordingly.

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
Check for any barrel length restrictions for your suppressor. I have a 20” 300wsm and am in the process of building a 18” 6 Creedmoor. Shorter is handier as long as you meet your ballistic requirements for the range you intend to hunt at.

ElPollo

WKR
Check for any barrel length restrictions for your suppressor. I have a 20” 300wsm and am in the process of building a 18” 6 Creedmoor. Shorter is handier as long as you meet your ballistic requirements for the range you intend to hunt at.
I agree with this. My 16.5 is a 6.5 cm. My 300 WSM is 20”. Check the manufacturer’s guidelines on bbl length before you cut.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It’s numbers. Look at terminal velocity, elevation and wind drift to see if you can kill at the distances you will hunt.

Figure about 25 fps every inch down to about 18, then the amount goes up as you go shorter.

Cut it as short as you want. But, make sure the suppressor supports the caliber and length.

pirogue

WKR
Hello all,

Finally got my suppressor in and need to have my barrel threaded. I have read some conflicting stuff online about shortening the barrel as well to accommodate the suppressor for overall length. I have a tikka t3x with a 22.5 inch barrel and the suppressor is about 6.5 inches long. I use it as my main hunting rifle and tend to carry on my pack sling, especially when hiking in. I was wondering if this would cause problems hunting with it getting stuck on branches and brush when hiking up the mountains. Or if shortening it would cause issues with ballistic.
Also if shortening, how much should I have removed?

Anyways, and advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
I put a Thunderbeast suppressor on my Tikka T3x, that I use for hunting. I accepted the fact that it was going to be longer, and I would be fine with it. Who was I to alter Tikka engineering for optimal performance and design, and ask for someone’s opinion on the internet.

ElPollo

WKR
I put a Thunderbeast suppressor on my Tikka T3x, that I use for hunting. I accepted the fact that it was going to be longer, and I would be fine with it. Who was I to alter Tikka engineering for optimal performance and design, and ask for someone’s opinion on the internet.
If you don’t mind me asking, why do you read these boards if you aren’t interested in someone’s opinion on the internet?

pirogue

WKR
If you don’t mind me asking, why do you read these boards if you aren’t interested in someone’s opinion on the internet?
When an OP states he is confused because of conflicting opinions, you try to help him rationalize, not take the wrong opinion, and wish he didn’t.

Macintosh

WKR
So, every inch less = approx 25fps less. I have also heard people say a suppressor ADDED some velocity compared to same barrel without suppressor. Is this legit? If so how much do you gain back reliably? Doesnt seem realistic, but have heard it enough to ask.

SloppyJ

WKR
What is your rifle chambered in? What ammo do you use? How far are you comfortable shooting?

In general, I prefer shortened barrels. For my typical hunts here in the south, a 300yd shot is about the farthest I will encounter and it's very rare. Out west it would be different.

I cut my 30-06 to 20", .308 to 20", 280ai to 22", and I'm building a 300prc at 22". I think my next rifle will be an 18" 6creed.

It's a balance of carrying comfort and performance. No one can answer the question for you because of your specific variables.

So, every inch less = approx 25fps less. I have also heard people say a suppressor ADDED some velocity compared to same barrel without suppressor. Is this legit? If so how much do you gain back reliably? Doesnt seem realistic, but have heard it enough to ask.

The 25fps is a conservative number, based on the actual data that some have collected. James Eagleman from Barbour Creek did a test that he put out a Youtube video on not too long ago using a 6.5PRC, iirc. I know someone on the Fire did one with a mag chambering, again, iirc.

Personally, I have seen from 10-20 fps/inch loss depending on barrel maker and chambering. On my 6.5 Creed Tikka I went from 22.4 to 18.5 and lost about 70 fps. On my Ruger American Predator 6.5 G, I went from 22 to 18 and lost ~60 fps. On my 21" Savage 300 WM, I started there and am about 125 fps lower than conventional wisdom says I should be using the same load in a 26" barrel. I am pretty sure I can gain some of that back with a different powder, but that load shoots so well, I would rather dial a few clicks more than mess with it.

As far as velocities with and without a suppressor, again it depends on the suppressor and chambering combo. I have a couple that I see no appreciable difference in velocity. On my 7-08AI using my Dead Air Sandman Ti, I pick up about 15 fps when I add the can.

Overall, to answer the OP, I would always go with a shorter barrel if you plan to use a suppressor. Not just for the length aspect but to help balance. Having that extra 10-15 oz way out there makes carrying it off a pack a bit awkward after a while.

OP
B

bobr1

WKR
What is your rifle chambered in? What ammo do you use? How far are you comfortable shooting?

In general, I prefer shortened barrels. For my typical hunts here in the south, a 300yd shot is about the farthest I will encounter and it's very rare. Out west it would be different.

I cut my 30-06 to 20", .308 to 20", 280ai to 22", and I'm building a 300prc at 22". I think my next rifle will be an 18" 6creed.

It's a balance of carrying comfort and performance. No one can answer the question for you because of your specific variables.
It’s 6.5 creed, I use the 143g hornady edlx. Ranges vary depending on where I hunt but right now not usually over 400 yds, and that’s typically for antelope areas.

I also have a 300 wing mag I’m also going to get threaded as well. I’m just trying to collect some info to help decide before I make a decision.

TexLuke

FNG
I wouldn’t want a carry/hunting rifle with more than 24-25” overall barrel length. My suppressors are 6-7” long, so all my rifles have been chopped and threaded at no more than 18”. I could probably live with a 20” barrel plus 6” of can, but can’t imagine packing around a full length barrel with a suppressor added. With a shport action chambered rifle like a 6.5 cm, 308, or 7mm-08 i would definitely shorten it when threading and adjust accordingly for less velocity..

SloppyJ

WKR
It’s 6.5 creed, I use the 143g hornady edlx. Ranges vary depending on where I hunt but right now not usually over 400 yds, and that’s typically for antelope areas.

I also have a 300 wing mag I’m also going to get threaded as well. I’m just trying to collect some info to help decide before I make a decision.
You should lose more velocity on your 300wm. The problem you're going to have is that I bet both of those barrels aren't thick enough to get a 5/8" thread on with enough left over for a decent shoulder. Likely you will have to thread them in 1/2"x28 and get an adapter that gets you up to 5/8"x24. It's not ideal but plenty of people run them. I run one on my Model 70 30-06. I don't want to rebarrel it because the bluing on the supergrades is really nice and I won't be able to match it.

Research shortening the barrel on both of those calibers. Run the numbers through a ballistic calculator to see what you're really dealing with. Only after that can you figure out how much you're willing to give up.

The 22.5" barrel with a 6" suppressor won't be THAT bad but you'll know it's there. I have a 7" suppressor on a 22" 280ai and it sticks out there a ways. 22" is about the longest I want to go personally for hunting like I do.

I suppose it depends on the cartridge you're shooting. I shoot 6.5CM and cut my go-to gun's barrel down to 16.5". I still took it on a longer-range hunt, did target practice out to 650 at the hunt location, and shot a deer at 400. If you're shooting animals past 500 I guess you'd need to evaluate velocities but otherwise I wouldn't worry much.

KHNC

WKR
Hell, i had my barrel on my 7-08 cut from 22" to 16" , along with an XLR chassis and SilencerCo Omega 30. That damn thing is accurate as fk!! Dime stacker at 100. I dont remember it ever shooting as good as it does now. It is a Rem 700 action and barrel. 20 years old too.

SloppyJ

WKR
Hell, i had my barrel on my 7-08 cut from 22" to 16" , along with an XLR chassis and SilencerCo Omega 30. That damn thing is accurate as fk!! Dime stacker at 100. I dont remember it ever shooting as good as it does now. It is a Rem 700 action and barrel. 20 years old too.
Shortening the barrel will stiffen it for sure. That's one possible side effect.