Suppressor friendly cartridges

jimh406

WKR
Longer cartridges tend to be hurt more by losing barrel length. You only have to look at barrel length offerings from various manufacturers to see which ones are longer. They make the barrels longer for some cartridges almost universally to have more time to burn the extra powder in the cases.

On the other hand, shorter cartridges like 223, 243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, 308 are hurt less. That's why you see more of them offered in shorter barrel lengths more routinely. That is, 16-20 vs 22-24.

If you are considering 223, I'd also consider 22 ARC which can handle longer bullets or 6mm ARC which can handle a bit heavier bullet if you are interested. Any of the AR15 cartridges generally work pretty well at 16-18 inches.

However, there are also suppressors that are being made shorter. For 243, 6.5, 7mm-08, and 308, look at the Howa Superlite that comes with a 20 in threaded barrel and is sub 5 lbs.

OP
Pickettpuncher
Longer cartridges tend to be hurt more by losing barrel length. You only have to look at barrel length offerings from various manufacturers to see which ones are longer. They make the barrels longer for some cartridges almost universally to have more time to burn the extra powder in the cases.

On the other hand, shorter cartridges like 223, 243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, 308 are hurt less. That's why you see more of them offered in shorter barrel lengths more routinely. That is, 16-20 vs 22-24.

If you are considering 223, I'd also consider 22 ARC which can handle longer bullets or 6mm ARC which can handle a bit heavier bullet if you are interested. Any of the AR15 cartridges generally work pretty well at 16-18 inches.

However, there are also suppressors that are being made shorter. For 243, 6.5, 7mm-08, and 308, look at the Howa Superlite that comes with a 20 in threaded barrel and is sub 5 lbs.
My main question about losing the horsepower is I have a 280ai. It probably should have a 24-26” barrel but it’s a 22. I don’t know that I could get it threaded and it’ll probably move on down the road. But cutting it to 18 would defeat the purpose in my mind, but I could be wrong.

OP
Pickettpuncher
Get the .223 cal bullets and run it suppressed, it’s the Rokslide way…
So the next question is, cutting a tikka to 18”, what thread size do you go with. Is 5/8-24 doable and standard or do drop to the 1/2-??

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So the next question is, cutting a tikka to 18”, what thread size do you go with. Is 5/8-24 doable and standard or do drop to the 1/2-??
I have no idea, I rebel against the Rokslide infatuation with Tikka, lol. I think there are multiple threads about cutting and threading the "Rokslide Special" or "RSS" when it comes to the .223.

OP
Pickettpuncher
I have no idea, I rebel against the Rokslide infatuation with Tikka, lol. I think there are multiple threads about cutting and threading the "Rokslide Special" or "RSS" when it comes to the .223.
I’ll check them out, thanks.

I’ve tried rebelling, but I’m being swayed in the tikka department

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ll check them out, thanks.

I’ve tried rebelling, but I’m being swayed in the tikka department
Not a bad choice, but go check out a Howa Mini in .223 before you pull the trigger so to speak. A little wet/dry sand paper cleans up the bolt, and then you have a handy little rifle. You can put it in a Stocky's stock of your choosing and get better bottom metal.

Its an option... and Brownells sells the barreled actions. They might still be on sale right now, but last I checked it would be a backorder.

Greenstig

FNG
If it’s a factory T3X Lite barrel, 1/2-28 threads.

You can purchase a quality thread adapter to get to 5/8-24 if needed.

Greenstig

FNG
My main question about losing the horsepower is I have a 280ai. It probably should have a 24-26” barrel but it’s a 22. I don’t know that I could get it threaded and it’ll probably move on down the road. But cutting it to 18 would defeat the purpose in my mind, but I could be wrong.
Personal preference, but a 22” barrel does just fine with a 6-7” lightweight can. I wouldn’t go longer though.

OP
Pickettpuncher
Not a bad choice, but go check out a Howa Mini in .223 before you pull the trigger so to speak. A little wet/dry sand paper cleans up the bolt, and then you have a handy little rifle. You can put it in a Stocky's stock of your choosing and get better bottom metal.

Its an option... and Brownells sells the barreled actions. They might still be on sale right now, but last I checked it would be a backorder.
A dang mini in 6 arc started all this mess to begin with!

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not disagreeing at all. I guess my question is if I cut a barrel down, that would benefit greatly from a longer barrel, is there a better option to start with. Not saying it’s true, but as an example…..280ai. At what point in cutting it down would I have been better off just going with a 7-08. Or am I wrong in my thinking.
Id think a short barrels 280ai would still be faster than a short barrel 7-08.
If you are a reloader you can tailor your powder choice to something more appropriate to the shorter barrel and minimize velocity loss right?

I’ll probably use the 135 eld option or the Berger. I’ve got a 25-06 that I like, but the 10 twist sucks
Before you make a decision, compare the 6mm 108-115 vs. the .257 133-135 at similar velocity and realistic ranges you plan to hunt. I'm a .25-06 guy also, but I've been down this rabbit hole for months now. If you run the numbers, the additional powder, barrel length, and recoil required for heavy 25s only provides a marginal performance increase over the heavy 6s. As an additional benefit, you can get excellent factory 6cm ammo while you build up components. That isn't the case for the 25cm. It's a handload only proposition for now.

If you're concerned about BCs...

Berger 6mm
105- .545
108- .559
109- .568
115- .563

DTAC 6mm
115- .620

OP
Pickettpuncher
Id think a short barrels 280ai would still be faster than a short barrel 7-08.
If you are a reloader you can tailor your powder choice to something more appropriate to the shorter barrel and minimize velocity loss right?
Yes, I can tailor the load and still beat the 7-08 with a 280ai. What I can’t do it thread my current barrel.

OP
Pickettpuncher
Before you make a decision, compare the 6mm 108-115 vs. the .257 133-135 at similar velocity and realistic ranges you plan to hunt. I'm a .25-06 guy also, but I've been down this rabbit hole for months now. If you run the numbers, the additional powder, barrel length, and recoil required for heavy 25s only provides a marginal performance increase over the heavy 6s. As an additional benefit, you can get excellent factory 6cm ammo while you build up components. That isn't the case for the 25cm. It's a handload only proposition for now.

If you're concerned about BCs...

Berger 6mm
105- .545
108- .559
109- .568
115- .563

DTAC 6mm
115- .620
I don’t have my paper with me, but I did compare them this morning. I didn’t use Berger bullets, but ran eldm for both the 6 and 25cm. Velocity online was everywhere for the 6cm, I think I used 3050 and 2950 for the 25. Difference was minimal between the 2. I personally feel the 25 gives a slight advantage for blood trails, which I want, since I typically hunt food plots surrounded by grown up fields.

I don’t have my paper with me, but I did compare them this morning. I didn’t use Berger bullets, but ran eldm for both the 6 and 25cm. Velocity online was everywhere for the 6cm, I think I used 3050 and 2950 for the 25. Difference was minimal between the 2. I personally feel the 25 gives a slight advantage for blood trails, which I want, since I typically hunt food plots surrounded by grown up fields.
If you're looking for consistent exit wounds for blood trails you can pick a thicker jacketed bullet in 6mm. Frontal area difference on these two is only .014". ;)

103 ELDX
100 Interlock
100 Speer BTSP (Federal Fusion bullet)