Barrel diameter for accuracy with a suppressor

Has anyone ever seen or heard recommendations on how thick your barrel should be for hanging a suppressor off of it for best accuracy? I would guess a thicker barrel can better support the weight when the harmonics start whipping. I got a factory Remington 700 bdl with a thunderbeast ultra 7 and it shoots terrible. I’ve tried 3 bullets, all H1000, 6 grains of powder wide at .5 increments. Doesn’t seem to have a node anywhere. There’s some .5 groups in there but they’re surrounded by 1.5-2” groups. I’m only shooting 2 round per powder charge but those 1+ inch groups aren’t gonna get better with more rounds. I unscrew the suppressor and it’ll print 3 rounds sub 1” regardless of what’s in it. Yes I know it’s a factory 700. But getting the action trued and ordering a new barrel, has me curious on contour to support the suppressor. I’d like a new fluted barrel, just wondering how thick to start, so after it’s fluted, it’ll hopefully shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
If you're sure it's not bullet strikes, you can get a thinner nut and use it as a self timer jam nut and try to tune the suppressor like a barrel tuner. $0.25 and an hour of your time provided you have the threads. A 1/2 turn out with my self timer brake made a real difference.

Lawnboi

WKR
This is just barrel dependent.

I have 16oz of Tbac Magnus hanging off a tikka lite profile (.6 at the muzzle). And it shoots better with the Magnus than it does my 8oz ultra 7 on there.

I havnt seen a good barrel be effected by it, but I have seen factory barrels be effected after threading and using a suppressor.

OP
JBirthisel
This is just barrel dependent.

I have 16oz of Tbac Magnus hanging off a tikka lite profile (.6 at the muzzle). And it shoots better with the Magnus than it does my 8oz ultra 7 on there.

I havnt seen a good barrel be effected by it, but I have seen factory barrels be effected after threading and using a suppressor.

That’s good to hear. I’ve got the magnus on order and I was worried about it being double the weight. The ultra 7 does shoot great on my 257 weatherby.

OP
JBirthisel
If you're sure it's not bullet strikes, you can get a thinner nut and use it as a self timer jam nut and try to tune the suppressor like a barrel tuner. $0.25 and an hour of your time provided you have the threads. A 1/2 turn out with my self timer brake made a real difference.

Haven’t heard any wild sounds when pulling the trigger haha. Inside of the suppressor looks good.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Has anyone ever seen or heard recommendations on how thick your barrel should be for hanging a suppressor off of it for best accuracy? I would guess a thicker barrel can better support the weight when the harmonics start whipping. I got a factory Remington 700 bdl with a thunderbeast ultra 7 and it shoots terrible. I’ve tried 3 bullets, all H1000, 6 grains of powder wide at .5 increments. Doesn’t seem to have a node anywhere. There’s some .5 groups in there but they’re surrounded by 1.5-2” groups. I’m only shooting 2 round per powder charge but those 1+ inch groups aren’t gonna get better with more rounds. I unscrew the suppressor and it’ll print 3 rounds sub 1” regardless of what’s in it. Yes I know it’s a factory 700. But getting the action trued and ordering a new barrel, has me curious on contour to support the suppressor. I’d like a new fluted barrel, just wondering how thick to start, so after it’s fluted, it’ll hopefully shoot.

It’s not a barrel thickness thing. #1 sporter contours, Kimber MA barrel contours, etc all shoot as good as any with a can. That thicker barrels are needed for suppressors is a myth.

As for your rifle, well Remington barrels weren’t always properly stress relieved, when the barrel was threaded, are you positive that the barrel torqued back appropriately- lots of smiths still think 30-40ft lbs is enough. The threads could be cut poorly, etc. Have you checked to ensure that there is complete and total free float when the can is added- a piece of paper isn’t nearly enough gap.

Jbuck

FNG
Like most of what everyone already said. The supressor is acting like a huge tuner. If you aren't getting baffle strikes you are just seeing the effects of that. The thickness of a barrel helps support the weight and may help with barrel drooping but my light barrels shoot just fine.

I would use washers instead of a nut though. I would be concerned with concentricity if it wasn't mated to a shoulder.

In general you want around .750" diameter or so at the end of your barrel to give a good shoulder. It's not the cheapest route but I like the Proof Sendero Lite contour since it cuts weight while holding a large enough diameter to thread. It's not that far out on cost once you factor in fluting a blank.

Also I'm sure you are using something to help with mirage, but if you aren't you should either get a mirage shield or something. As that will most definitely explain the groups you are getting.

OP
JBirthisel
Like most of what everyone already said. The supressor is acting like a huge tuner. If you aren't getting baffle strikes you are just seeing the effects of that. The thickness of a barrel helps support the weight and may help with barrel drooping but my light barrels shoot just fine.

I would use washers instead of a nut though. I would be concerned with concentricity if it wasn't mated to a shoulder.

In general you want around .750" diameter or so at the end of your barrel to give a good shoulder. It's not the cheapest route but I like the Proof Sendero Lite contour since it cuts weight while holding a large enough diameter to thread. It's not that far out on cost once you factor in fluting a blank.

Also I'm sure you are using something to help with mirage, but if you aren't you should either get a mirage shield or something. As that will most definitely explain the groups you are getting.

I have the thunder best compact brake model, so there’s a muzzle break that threads onto the barrel, then the can on the supressor. Always locks up super tight. I have a cover for the can. Mirage is no joke after a few round without one.

OP
JBirthisel
It’s not a barrel thickness thing. #1 sporter contours, Kimber MA barrel contours, etc all shoot as good as any with a can. That thicker barrels are needed for suppressors is a myth.

As for your rifle, well Remington barrels weren’t always properly stress relieved, when the barrel was threaded, are you positive that the barrel torqued back appropriately- lots of smiths still think 30-40ft lbs is enough. The threads could be cut poorly, etc. Have you checked to ensure that there is complete and total free float when the can is added- a piece of paper isn’t nearly enough gap.

All excellent points. I don’t have any idea what they torqued it to. I took it down to Wyoming gun company, dropped it off, picked it up a few days later. They did do another rifle for me at the same time and it shoots great. I haven’t checked that’s it’s floated but I will. We had to cut some of the stock out during the bed job because it was hitting in the front. We did not check it with the suppressor though.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i have a 24" tikka 7RM hunter (wood stock/blued) i had threaded and NOT chopped. it's looong.
and it got even more accurate after hanging a suppressor off the end....

you could buy a new barrel
or just get another rifle.
who doesn't want another rifle?
just not a remington.

OP
JBirthisel
i have a 24" tikka 7RM hunter (wood stock/blued) i had threaded and NOT chopped. it's looong.
and it got even more accurate after hanging a suppressor off the end....

you could buy a new barrel
or just get another rifle.
who doesn't want another rifle?
just not a remington.

I’m somewhere between, new tikka or true action and new barrel.

gbflyer

WKR

Is your suppressor shooting loose? I’ve had them get loose and things get a little wonky. Mine is direct thread.

Jbuck

FNG
Truing the action will add very little to the accuracy. It is probably worth having the primary extraction timed though. If you do have your r700 worked on Longriflesinc.com does great work and had very quick turn around times.

I would guess you will end up with a more accurate rifle with a new barrel.

OP
JBirthisel
Is your suppressor shooting loose? I’ve had them get loose and things get a little wonky. Mine is direct thread.

Stays super tight, never had any issues with the CB mount from thunder beast. One time the brake came off before the suppressor, and I had to reapply lock tight.

OP
JBirthisel
Truing the action will add very little to the accuracy. It is probably worth having the primary extraction timed though. If you do have your r700 worked on Longriflesinc.com does great work and had very quick turn around times.

I would guess you will end up with a more accurate rifle with a new barrel.

I’ve been looking at LRI, appears they do good work! I really like their pattern X fluting.

Jbuck

FNG
If you don't know the guy who owns LRI, Chad Dixon, also ran the custom shop for Remington and Dakota Arms. He is very skilled.

I have 3 rifles from him. Including 2 Win m70's.