Suppressor friendly cartridges

Looking at the possibility to get a suppressor. I’ve got 2 threaded firearms, but neither would be suppressor friendly to hunt with. What cartridges would be better suited for the shorter barrel to make a suppressor more hunter friendly? Gonna end up with a 223 and would like something a bit bigger, probably in the creedmoor family.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Everything is a great option. I mean that seriously, suppress everything.
Mine is a variation on this theme. There is no good unsupressed cartridge… but, if you have unusual configured rifle like an over/under combo, I could see some firearms wouldn’t be conducive to suppression.

I think the 6 creed is a no brainer short barrel suppressed hunting rifle.

OP
Pickettpuncher
Everything is a great option. I mean that seriously, suppress everything.
I’m not disagreeing at all. I guess my question is if I cut a barrel down, that would benefit greatly from a longer barrel, is there a better option to start with. Not saying it’s true, but as an example…..280ai. At what point in cutting it down would I have been better off just going with a 7-08. Or am I wrong in my thinking.

OP
Pickettpuncher
Mine is a variation on this theme. There is no good unsupressed cartridge… but, if you have unusual configured rifle like an over/under combo, I could see some firearms wouldn’t be conducive to suppression.

I think the 6 creed is a no brainer short barrel suppressed hunting rifle.
A 6 creed is near the top of my list, but I’m leaning a bit more towards the 25 creed

Reactions: B23
I’m not disagreeing at all. I guess my question is if I cut a barrel down, that would benefit greatly from a longer barrel, is there a better option to start with. Not saying it’s true, but as an example…..280ai. At what point in cutting it down would I have been better off just going with a 7-08. Or am I wrong in my thinking.
Pick the bullet you want, pick the barrel length you want and then pick a cartridge that meet your velocity needs with your chosen bullet.

Totally made up example:

You want a 215 Berger
You want a 20" barrel
You want 2950 FPS at the muzzle

That set of requirements will eliminate most .30 cartridges and leave you choosing between a few big magnums.

OP
Pickettpuncher
Pick the bullet you want, pick the barrel length you want and then pick a cartridge that meet your velocity needs with your chosen bullet.

Totally made up example:

You want a 215 Berger
You want a 20" barrel
You want 2950 FPS at the muzzle

That set of requirements will eliminate most .30 cartridges and leave you choosing between a few big magnums.
Thanks. That helps, tho I’m gonna stay away from the magnums anyway.

OP
Pickettpuncher
100% do the 25 creed. I love my 25 SST and the Berger 133.
Do you build it on a long or short action. I know the creeds are short action generally, but is there a benefit to using a long. Probably gonna be a tikka action so it’s not a huge deal either way.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It really isn't a thing where you get a benefit between cartridge sizes with the same caliber. All cartridges typically lose about 25-30 FPS per inch between 18-28 inches. So, if you start with a 24" 7-08 and 7mm rem mag, they will both lose about the same speed at the same rate.

The gain is by going with a smaller caliber and more powder to keep velocity. Basically, down to 16 inches, most small caliber cartridges are going to effectively spit out the bullet. But, cutting it down more than 16 inches you do start to lose more velocity for every inch. That becomes a pistol or a short barreled rifle with a stamp.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you build it on a long or short action. I know the creeds are short action generally, but is there a benefit to using a long. Probably gonna be a tikka action so it’s not a huge deal either way.
Short action, cause the bullets are shorter than the 6.5 creed, so no mag issues. The 6.5 creed case was designed to take the longer bullets in the short action.

OP
Pickettpuncher
It really isn't a thing where you get a benefit between cartridge sizes with the same caliber. All cartridges typically lose about 25-30 FPS per inch between 18-28 inches. So, if you start with a 24" 7-08 and 7mm rem mag, they will both lose about the same speed at the same rate.

The gain is by going with a smaller caliber and more powder to keep velocity. Basically, down to 16 inches, most small caliber cartridges are going to effectively spit out the bullet. But, cutting it down more than 16 inches you do start to lose more velocity for every inch. That becomes a pistol or a short barreled rifle with a stamp.
Guess that’s what I was looking for. Thanks for the explanation.

OP
Pickettpuncher
I’d suggest one change to that. Figure out your realistic max hunting range and make sure the bullet you are using is moving fast enough to reliably open up or fragment at that range.
Currently, 200 yards. So basically anything would, from the 223 and up.

Greenstig

FNG
Realistically any caliber choice will get it done in this range. Go with the .223 for low recoil & economical practice. Most importantly, get that suppressor ordered. In ~8 months, you’ll be glad you did.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Something more than a .223 inside 200 yards, a creed is more than you need.

Consider a 22 or 6 arc in a mini action. And, since you are looking at wildcats, maybe a 6 or 22 GT.

I love my little 6 BRA I had built in a Howa Mini. I take it with me if my shots are going to be inside 400 yards.

OP
Pickettpuncher
Something more than a .223 inside 200 yards, a creed is more than you need.

Consider a 22 or 6 arc in a mini action. And, since you are looking at wildcats, maybe a 6 or 22 GT.

I love my little 6 BRA I had built in a Howa Mini. I take it with me if my shots are going to be inside 400 yards.
My biggest draw to the 223 is I have more than enough components to load for one other than the tmk or eldm I want to shoot. With the others I’d need to source brass and possibly powder. Things change if I step up to cm family.