Rant: Private security for FS road closure cannot speak english

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Not a rant against the forest service, and I get that they need to economize by contracting out security at road closures in fire areas, but geez, is it too much to ask that at least one of the security team speak English? Our exchange went something like this:

"Hello! The road has to be closed now"

That's too bad - I hunt up here every year. Is it burned out back there?

"Yes, people hunt here all the time. They bring guns."

Is it burned out up there?

"What a nice car you have!"

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
So I'll ask, why the heck would you go into a closed area and give those folks an issue?
It's not a closed area. It's an FS road intersecting the Banks Lowman road, which is open. The FS road itself is closed temporarily - well marked, but I was just asking the security guards about conditions.

It's not a closed area. It's an FS road intersecting the Banks Lowman road, which is open. The FS road itself is closed temporarily - well marked, but I was just asking the security guards about conditions.

Lotta them boys havnt been told much either... Just park your ass here and dont let any tourists,hunters, looky-lous etc through. Gotta do that because nobody respects a simple sign these days.

I bet he spoke english better than he let on. That was probly just the fastest way to get rid of you. Imagine he's been getting asked the same question by a pile of people by now.

Maybe they need security because people can't read "Road closed"? I've never seen security on a fire closure, just a sign.

Pretty common around here. They'll set up their signs and reader boards at most the junctions. Then have a guy bored outta his mind sitting at the main ones, just turning people away

Back when we were building logging road, I started to hate hunting season for the same reasons

Weldor

WKR
Not a rant against the forest service, and I get that they need to economize by contracting out security at road closures in fire areas, but geez, is it too much to ask that at least one of the security team speak English? Our exchange went something like this:

"Hello! The road has to be closed now"

That's too bad - I hunt up here every year. Is it burned out back there?

"Yes, people hunt here all the time. They bring guns."

Is it burned out up there?

"What a nice car you have!"
Welcome to America.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Been on a few wildland fire deployments, never seen private security, only, FS law enforcement, local sheriff, pd, National guard or fish and game pulling security. I know we have some dedicated wildland guys here they could probably clear this up

Been on a few wildland fire deployments, never seen private security, only, FS law enforcement, local sheriff, pd, National guard or fish and game pulling security. I know we have some dedicated wildland guys here they could probably clear this up

I think calling it private security is a bit much. Its normally just a guy sitting in a car wearing a shiny vest

Put in a call to your county's sheriff. That's sketchy as hell. If it's legit they should already know about it and tell you. But that is just incredibly suspect - and exactly the kind of semi-clever audacity cartels are accustomed to getting away with.

Put in a call to your county's sheriff. That's sketchy as hell. If it's legit they should already know about it and tell you. But that is just incredibly suspect - and exactly the kind of semi-clever audacity cartels are accustomed to getting away with.

Thats hilarious. Do you guys realize how many guys sub out and make a few bucks during these fires? Lot more goin on than just cutting line........

Bout a month ago we went up to ride and learned there was a fire in half of the area. Guy posted up at that junction knew the fire was up there and the road was closed. He didnt need to know any more than that, and I doubt he wanted to.....We didnt push it, went and rode the side that was still open and had a good time

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Lotta them boys havnt been told much either... Just park your ass here and dont let any tourists,hunters, looky-lous etc through. Gotta do that because nobody respects a simple sign these days.

I bet he spoke english better than he let on. That was probly just the fastest way to get rid of you. Imagine he's been getting asked the same question by a pile of people by now.
Could be right, that road is very well traveled, especially after one along a river nearby was recently closed to motorized traffic. They were nice enough fellows, I imagine they would get lots of questions.

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Thats hilarious. Do you guys realize how many guys sub out and make a few bucks during these fires? Lot more goin on than just cutting line........

Bout a month ago we went up to ride and learned there was a fire in half of the area. Guy posted up at that junction knew the fire was up there and the road was closed. He didnt need to know any more than that, and I doubt he wanted to.....We didnt push it, went and rode the side that was still open and had a good time
This is the most likely explanation, in my view. They were nice enough fellows, and I didn't want to push it, just wondered if my favorite local hunting area was burned up.

That's nice. It's also something I've never seen - closures have always been done by fire, local law enforcement, or FS/BLM employees. So, you've seen it? Okay, in your area that may be more common. It's not in any of the areas I've been. Either way, the local SO will know if the road's closed or not, and what agency is responsible for it. If it was NorCal, there'd be a lot higher likelihood of it being something illegal than not. Northern Nevada, not so much. Either way, the local SO would know.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
jipray3