Tired of banging my head against a wall

OP
H

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
Great work on the cat. You had to be doing something right to pull that off.

Quick note from my last hunt. Totally different terrain but maybe a lesson in here. We drove down to a public parking spot and a truck was there. This ground sets up where you can see a bit. Saw an orange vest walking thickets at 3 pm. We waited in the lot and he left at around 4 pm. Told my buddy who had an injured knee that I felt like the guy covered ground I was not expecting deer to come from through years of hunting there and observing them.

We setup downwind of a trail at 4:15. At 6 pm we had a parade of does and young bucks go by. Next night same spot same thing. I knew at some point a decent buck would make an appearance. Third night at last light, a nice 8 pt walked by at 25 yards and he shot it.

Unless conditions are absolutely perfect and you see the deer bedded, I don't suggest trying to walk up whitetails. Hunt some areas a lot, make mental notes of what they are doing, and patiently wait them out. And I've never shot a cougar so you are ahead of me. Congratulations on that again.
Thanks man!

I'll keep this on mind. I have been getting into deer this week, still does, but I'm making a note of where, when, and what they were doing so when the rut begins I can keep keep an eye out for a buck following or working his way downwind. I have also been making it a point to get out well before first lite to get to where I want to set up. So far I have been focusing primarily trails within the timber, but I am planning to hunt some cuts/open areas next time out. I just cant help but think about what is around within a few hundred yards of me, but I cant see it due to brush.

Last edited:
Thanks man!

I'll keep this on mind. I have been getting into deer this week, still does, but I'm making a note of where, when, and what they were doing so when the rut begins I can keep keep an eye out for a buck following or working his way downwind. I have also been making it a point to get out well before first lite to get to where I want to set up. So far I have been focusing primarily trails within the timber, but I am planning to hunt some cuts/open areas next time out. I just cant help but think about what is around within a few hundred yards of me, but I cant see it due to brush.
If I find doe groups I try to stay with them the next month or so. Big caveat is not hunting them unless you're pretty sure you can kill that day, so you don't run them off. If I can find a few groups I'm more agressive, cuz if I blow up this area I move to the next