Rant: Private security for FS road closure cannot speak english

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Not a rant against the forest service, and I get that they need to economize by contracting out security at road closures in fire areas, but geez, is it too much to ask that at least one of the security team speak English? Our exchange went something like this:

"Hello! The road has to be closed now"

That's too bad - I hunt up here every year. Is it burned out back there?

"Yes, people hunt here all the time. They bring guns."

Is it burned out up there?

"What a nice car you have!"

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
So I'll ask, why the heck would you go into a closed area and give those folks an issue?
It's not a closed area. It's an FS road intersecting the Banks Lowman road, which is open. The FS road itself is closed temporarily - well marked, but I was just asking the security guards about conditions.

It's not a closed area. It's an FS road intersecting the Banks Lowman road, which is open. The FS road itself is closed temporarily - well marked, but I was just asking the security guards about conditions.

Lotta them boys havnt been told much either... Just park your ass here and dont let any tourists,hunters, looky-lous etc through. Gotta do that because nobody respects a simple sign these days.

I bet he spoke english better than he let on. That was probly just the fastest way to get rid of you. Imagine he's been getting asked the same question by a pile of people by now.

Maybe they need security because people can't read "Road closed"? I've never seen security on a fire closure, just a sign.

Pretty common around here. They'll set up their signs and reader boards at most the junctions. Then have a guy bored outta his mind sitting at the main ones, just turning people away

Back when we were building logging road, I started to hate hunting season for the same reasons

Weldor

WKR
Not a rant against the forest service, and I get that they need to economize by contracting out security at road closures in fire areas, but geez, is it too much to ask that at least one of the security team speak English? Our exchange went something like this:

"Hello! The road has to be closed now"

That's too bad - I hunt up here every year. Is it burned out back there?

"Yes, people hunt here all the time. They bring guns."

Is it burned out up there?

"What a nice car you have!"
Welcome to America.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Been on a few wildland fire deployments, never seen private security, only, FS law enforcement, local sheriff, pd, National guard or fish and game pulling security. I know we have some dedicated wildland guys here they could probably clear this up

Been on a few wildland fire deployments, never seen private security, only, FS law enforcement, local sheriff, pd, National guard or fish and game pulling security. I know we have some dedicated wildland guys here they could probably clear this up

I think calling it private security is a bit much. Its normally just a guy sitting in a car wearing a shiny vest